BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #1
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Project Kics Wheel Lug Options for any E9X M3

I am looking for a set of blue anodized aluminum wheel lugs 12 x 1.5 for my Interlagos Blue BMW E90 M3 with silver Competition Package 359M Wheels. Going to run Future Classic Wheel Spacers 12/10 mm or 15/12 mm F/R.

Project Kics has a nice selection of dress lugs with open ends and closed ends. May or may not install wheel studs. The model that is most common is the Project Kics R40s, but the design doesn't look that great. There is a new 2-piece model called the Project Kics Leggdura Racing 53mm Lugs - Closed-End. These lugs have black lugs that are torqued to the wheel hub with an aluminum red/blue/gold/black color lug cap that is screwed on top (by hand).

Kyo Ei is the Japanese Company behind Project Kics (Look for the Project Kics 2023-24 Online Catalog)
http://www.kyoei-ind.co.jp/sangyo/

Any one running these Project Kics Leggdura lugs or a similar model on their M3s?

I read that many aftermarket lugs won't fit BMW OEM Wheels, or you MUST do the stud conversion. Any truth to this?

Are the Macht Schell studs preferred or would you recommend other brands, or even titanium studs?

The Interlagos Blue BMW E90 M3 is finally DONE, with just four more minor mods left. The Varis Carbon Fiber Undertray is a must! Missed out on the Eventuri Carbon Fiber Plenum, since I installed a custom painted IND stock plenum. Tuner Motorsports has an awesome gloss high kick carbon fiber trunk spoiler that has a CSL trunk look, kinda.

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 11-10-2023 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #2
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think BMWs used conical seat M12 lug bolts up until 2012. Newer BMW models might use spherical seat M14 lug bolts.

Turner Motorsports makes an adapter for conical to spherical seat lug bolts.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...AaAoAuEALw_wcB

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:09 PM   #3
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

https://www.core4motorsports.com/pro...onversion-hubs
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 10:48 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
I am looking for a set of blue anodized aluminum wheel lugs 12 x 1.5 for my Interlagos Blue BMW E90 M3 with silver Competition Package 359M Wheels. Going to run Future Classic Wheel Spacers 12/10 mm or 15/12 mm F/R.

Project Kics has a nice selection of dress lugs with open ends and closed ends. May or may not install wheel studs. The model that is most common is the Project Kics R40s, but the design doesn't look that great. There is a new 2-piece model called the Project Kics Leggdura Racing 53mm Lugs - Closed-End. These lugs have black lugs that are torqued to the wheel hub with an aluminum red/blue/gold/black color lug cap that is screwed on top (by hand).

Any one running these Project Kics Leggdura lugs or a similar model on their M3s?

I read that many aftermarket lugs won't fit BMW OEM Wheels, or you MUST do the stud conversion. Any truth to this?

Are the Macht Schell studs preferred or would you recommend other brands, or even titanium studs?

The Interlagos Blue BMW E90 M3 is finally DONE, with just four more minor mods left. The Varis Carbon Fiber Undertray is a must! Missed out on the Eventuri Carbon Fiber Plenum, since I installed a custom painted IND stock plenum. Tuner Motorsports has an awesome gloss high kick carbon fiber trunk spoiler that has a CSL trunk look, kinda.

Cheers
Maybe I’m misunderstanding but how would you run any kind of aftermarket lug nut (open or closed) without doing a stud conversion?

After running studs for almost 10 years on my track cars, I actually went back to factory wheel bolts. End of day I’ve never seen a lug bolt fail but the few times I’ve seen a stud back out after 1-2 seasons was enough warning for me. That said, I never had fitment issues running aftermarket lugs with OEM wheels. If anything, I ran into more problems with aftermarket wheels where the lug holes were extremely tight and would get nicked easily. Both my old Volks and current SSR wheels have this issue.

The only benefit to titanium is its corrosion resistant properties and weight savings over steel. And of the two, you’re only going to notice the first benefit. But if you know you’re replacing them every 2-3 years, not sure I’d even spend the money.

Brand wise, I personally am not a fan of Macht Schnell. I still have nightmares of their race seat hardware lol. MSI would be my first pick and if going titanium, I’d check out maybe PS Design.
      11-07-2023, 10:59 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
I think BMWs used conical seat M12 lug bolts up until 2012. Newer BMW models might use spherical seat M14 lug bolts.

Turner Motorsports makes an adapter for conical to spherical seat lug bolts.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...AaAoAuEALw_wcB

Cheers
Correct, m12x1.5 up to E series. M14x1.25 starting from F series. And so long as the aftermarket lugs you’re looking at are also conical, they should mate fine to OEM wheels.
      11-10-2023, 12:28 PM   #6
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mishimoto makes inexpensive anodized lug nuts. Not much choice with only 1-2 styles.

https://www.mishimoto.com/catalogsea...imit=36&q=lugs

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:35 PM   #7
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looking for either wheel studs+lug nuts or dress lug bolts options.

Project Kics has a cool option with a normal lug bolt and a huge dress lug nut screwed on top, but it only comes in M14 sizes for later model year BMWs. Best of both worlds.

Leggdura Racing - ZS44 (Open Shell Type)
http://www.kyoei-ind.co.jp/sangyo/pr...Bolt_ZS44.html

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 09:41 PM   #8
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I settled on Project Kics EL53 Open End 2-piece Leggdura Racing Lugs in Blue. I need extra accessories, like spare sockets and a few extra single lugs.

UPDATE: AVOID Vivid Racing has the most Project Kics options on sale. 3 month wait sine they don't care them in stock.

Order from Amazon.com in Japan. Dirt cheap at half the price!!!! It is a MUST to get the part nos. correct from the catalog.
Shipping from Japan to the US was $40 via SF International to UPS in about 10 days.
WARNING: Packaging requires bubblewrap, since the KICS plastic packaging is brittle and shatters in transit.

This is a Subaru STI Channel, but it shows many great Dress Lug Nut options in a clever way. 2:00 minutes in for the Project Kics 53mm and 35 mm Leggdura Lugs.

Cheers

Last edited by nyc_dude; 12-10-2023 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 05:51 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I really don't get the obsession with running these? You can do a stud conversion and run any lug nuts you want. The lug bolts that they sell doesn't look like any fit the E90 M3.

Back in the day (20 years ago) we used to use Project KICS lug nuts on our JDM track cars because they were lighter and more durable than OEM. They were black and got the shit beat out of them with impact wrenches but kept going... but getting it purely for show doesn't make any sense. Doing a stud conversion and then colorful lug nuts just for style?
      01-08-2024, 03:41 PM   #10
t_win
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I run Project Kics on all my cars. They get impacted and hold up well. I've even accidentally impacted them with a 19mm socket (the lugs themselves are 17mm) and there is virtually no damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 02:33 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I run BimmerWorld’s 75 mm stud kits on my cars which can handle up to a 12 mm-thick spacer.
Appreciate 0