BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
M3 6sp vs XFR

I knew when I tested the new XFR that it was a very special car and that it was mighty quick, but never in my wildest dreams did I think it was this much quicker than an M3.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I like how you did this ... ON A TRACK, instead on public streets. The XF-R is quite a beast. It'd be interesting to see this race from a dead-stop. From a roll, the Jag's Supercharged V8 definitely has the advantage.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
I like how you did this ... ON A TRACK, instead on public streets. The XF-R is quite a beast. It'd be interesting to see this race from a dead-stop. From a roll, the Jag's Supercharged V8 definitely has the advantage.
Yeh. I've never understood people's fascination with this site. The racing is a complete waste of time. No one can time the acceleration properly from a rolling start. They should be racing from a stop to show real results.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

I don't know much about the XFR, but that was a surprise for me!

Gustav has really been turning those videos out!
      06-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

I find this video very surprising, i have driven the xf and have a recent jag v8...it doesnt pull the same as my m3...i know the xfr posts about 0-60 in 5 secs flat, but still a bit of a fat cat. i thought the m3 was better up top anyways...i mean its strength?
i will always have a soft spot for jag, but not the xf, does nothing for me, give me an xjr or better yet an overpriced xkr...(or a vantage)

EDIT: My bad, i was confused, i thought we were taking about the s/c version of the XF, i thought the op was just referring to it as the "XFR". in that case, disregard my previous post, i thought we were talking about the xf with 420hp and 413 tq.

Last edited by niqui; 06-14-2009 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
CatchM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M Competition DG

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISFail View Post
The XFR is a 510 hp beast and it should surprise no one that it pulls top end on the M3!
THE XFR my be fast but it ain't no sexy biatch IMO. It's FUGLY!
      06-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
The XFR is a 510 hp beast and it should surprise no one that it pulls top end on the M3!
+ 1, why is everyone surpised that a 510hp beast would beat the M3 on a purely straight game.
      06-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
I think it looks sick!
Yea that too, its a pretty sick looking car.
      06-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think it looks sick!
agreed the rear is nice, AM'ish, but the front, not so much. looks like a buick. to each his own, its monstrous though, throw in one turn and then id watch again.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

It is a beast. On the roll with 510hp. It's not surprising the m3 lost like that. Do it from a start to a 1/4 mile. I'd bet it'll be close. It's a heavy car from a stand still. But nice jag..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

nice jag,but why are people shocked that the car that has almost 100 more hp will win against an m3 ??? thats like comparing m5 to m3, of course m5 will win.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Not surprising considering the large power difference imo.

I really want to like the XF (and XFR), but the body just doesn't cut it for me, nor does the interior design. It's definitely better at pulling off the Jekyll/Hyde trick than the M5, but the body, apart from the rakish profile, does nothing for me. The body sculpting is too soft and lacks detail. I wish the design had more tension like the C-XF concept. Too bad the interior didn't wow me either.

A great car for people who would rather opt for something less edgy than a BMW. Great job on Jag's part.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
It is a beast. On the roll with 510hp. It's not surprising the m3 lost like that. Do it from a start to a 1/4 mile. I'd bet it'll be close. It's a heavy car from a stand still. But nice jag..
'Lets do it from a standing start', that is the kind of comments one would expect an Audi driver to say.

Much as I would agree that from a stand still the M3 would stand a slightly better chance (though in reality I still think the XFR would win that too and with ease). The M3 will possibly hold an advantage to about 50mph at which point the XFR will still pull away.

You might not like it's looks or desire the image of owning a brand that most think are for older people but what Jaguar have in the XFR is the best excutive sports saloon. Better than the RS6, better than the E63 and definitely better than the M5. There is no other car that appeals to me more at the moment than this.

Hack, I don't even smoke and I have already picked out a pipe and ordered my slippers from e-bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Yeh. I've never understood people's fascination with this site. The racing is a complete waste of time. No one can time the acceleration properly from a rolling start. They should be racing from a stop to show real results.
What?

Comparing starts and races from the dig is pointless. Someone is always going to get a better start.

Rolling starts are as real as it gets. The M3 got raped.

Quote:
The reason they do this is because it takes the driver out of the equation. All these races are equal (no clutch dropping, or power braking needed) from a roll, you just downshift and smash.

That wasn't even close......over 20 car lengths up top That X is one sexy biatch!
Exactly +1
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Lets add another one. Same event. Since some people were doubting the E55 in another thread. It rapes the M3 from a roll.

M3 vs. E55

[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlAwE_dNAeM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NlAwE_dNAeM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
96OCTNE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I never liked these races from M5boards, even the ones with the M3 beating other cars. I would rather see a vid of both speedos at the bottom corners of the screen. You can easily make these races as fake as you want. Not saying they are, just saying I don't believe them. No times, no speedos, just video from a roll. Some of you disagree that mashing the gas from a stop isn't a real test, but I disagree. "factors out the driver", I can't count how many times people post "it comes down to the driver".

Anyways, I think the M3 would be able to hold it's own against the XFR from a stop. That's my opinion, hate it or love it.

Also remember you're comparing an NA car to a supercharged one. So performance-wise, I'm not impressed by the XFR. It does look nice though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OCTNE View Post
I never liked these races from M5boards, even the ones with the M3 beating other cars. I would rather see a vid of both speedos at the bottom corners of the screen. You can easily make these races as fake as you want.
The thing is these events are really just big meets. The owners drive their own cars, none of them want to lose. So they give it their all every race. I believe they put on a great event, with a wide assortmant of cars. There is really nothing to fake here, just people having fun with their cars. If anything Gustav has a BMW bias.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #18
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OCTNE View Post
I never liked these races from M5boards, even the ones with the M3 beating other cars. I would rather see a vid of both speedos at the bottom corners of the screen. You can easily make these races as fake as you want. Not saying they are, just saying I don't believe them. No times, no speedos, just video from a roll. Some of you disagree that mashing the gas from a stop isn't a real test, but I disagree. "factors out the driver", I can't count how many times people post "it comes down to the driver".

Anyways, I think the M3 would be able to hold it's own against the XFR from a stop. That's my opinion, hate it or love it.

Also remember you're comparing an NA car to a supercharged one. So performance-wise, I'm not impressed by the XFR. It does look nice though.
The M3 is an impressive car but it's not immoral, there are superior cars out there with the XFR being one of them. I you honest think the results would be that different from a stand still then you are barking, all the Jaguar requires is to disengage DSC and hold the brake while building the revs and then side step the brake pedal, what could be simpler. Definitely not the DCT M3 with it's select s5 mode, disengage DSC, hold level forward until chequered flag appears on display and then floor throttle pedal. Do all of that and the Jag will be half a mile up the road.

I know it's away from the main subject but seriously, BMW need to uncomplicated their LC setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Quote:
I think it looks sick!
It looks good from the back, but the front is so ugly i can not even look at it!! It's a ford!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep

id be interested if they dropped this engine into the XK.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #21
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
id be interested if they dropped this engine into the XK.
This engine is available in the XK, it's called the XKR.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
96OCTNE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Definitely not the DCT M3 with it's select s5 mode, disengage DSC, hold level forward until chequered flag appears on display and then floor throttle pedal. Do all of that and the Jag will be half a mile up the road.

I know it's away from the main subject but seriously, BMW need to uncomplicated their LC setup.

Launch Control doesn't take that long, if you already have the M button set to S6 + DSC off you just hold the lever forward, floor it, release lever. It's not as long and tedious as people make it out to be. Not saying it's the best system out there but it's not bad either.

...about the XFR comments everyone quoted me on, I was just stating my opinions. We all have our own opinions, unless you've seen these two cars race in person (at the drag with times), or have raced against an XFR take the vids with a grain of salt.

If there's an XFR owner on the east coast that wants to disprove me, PM me. My car isn't stock but that shouldn't matter.

Last edited by 96OCTNE; 06-16-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0