BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

07-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

2019 Audi Q3 Revealed: New Small Luxury SUV Grows And Embraces Its Sporty Side

Quote:
To give you an idea of just how old the first-generation Audi Q3 is, imagine that its design was based on the Cross Coupe quattro concept, which was first drawn up back in 2006. This all-new second generation model was long overdue.

Right off the bat, it’s obvious that Audi wanted to leave the old Q3’s styling in the dust, by making this new crossover look more aggressive from just about every angle, giving the BMW X1 a worthy opponent to play with.

A brand new design language

This new Q3 actually shares some of the Q8’s design elements, especially when it comes to its profile. It also has vertical grille bars like the Q8, or the A4/A6 Allroad duo. All other Audi models feature horizontal bars.

Other distinguishing features include a sportier front bumper, large taillights, and headlights that resemble those of the A3 Sportback in shape, only a little more pointy.

Audi has also expanded the overall size of the Q3, making it approximately 3.8 inches (9.65 cm) longer than the older model, while adding three more inches (7.6 cm) to the wheelbase too. This means more room for rear seat passengers, while still leaving 23.8 cu.ft (674 liters) of cargo space in the trunk – which you can then turn into 53.9 cu.ft (1,526 liters) if you fold the seats. By comparison, the 2018 BMW X1 has 17.8 cu.ft (505 liters) of available trunk space, and a full 54.73 cu.ft (1,550 liters) with everything folded down.

Plenty of tech to go around

Inside, 2019 Q3 buyers will enjoy Audi’s 12.3-inch Virtual Cockpit gauge cluster, plus an 8.8-inch center dash infotainment display – with a larger 10-inch one available as an option, where the software will be the same as on the all-new Q8.

Features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both standard, as are the two USB ports in the front. There are also two additional USB ports and a 12-volt outlet for rear seat passengers, plus available Wi-Fi hotspot. One cool piece of tech is the Connect portfolio with “swarm intelligence”, a feature that helps cars communicate with among themselves regarding road and weather hazards. The system will be available in Europe and possibly in the U.S. too, although not at launch.

As for safety, the all-new 2019 Audi Q3 comes with forward emergency braking, lane departure warning, rear cross-traffic alert, plus adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist and active lane assist.

Wide range of petrol and diesel options

We can expect 2019 Q3 customers to choose between multiple petrol and diesel options, although at launch, only three engines will be available globally. Among them, the automaker’s 2.0 TFSI 190 PS unit – working in conjunction with a 7-speed automatic, as well as quattro all-wheel drive.

The new model also gets automatic damping control and a “dynamic handling system” with the following six drive modes: Auto, Comfort, Dynamic, Offroad, Efficiency and Individual.

European customers will land their 2019 Q3 crossovers this November, while U.S. sales should commence at a later date.
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/07/20...s-sporty-side/
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Thanks for that. Can't get excited about the Q5/SQ5 or X3/X3 M40i. This will be great if they offer it with at least a little more power than the current one.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Massive improvement. Prior gen was very outdated. I still think the X1 is the segment leader.

Anyhow, it's difficult to get too excited over another dorky crossover.
Appreciate 1
10"4973.00
      07-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Thank god they updated that climate control! Something about having a digital layout keeps it on point. The current gen looks like the climate control is from a 1990 Audi.
      07-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
williesm
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

Better looking than x2
But Isn't that BMW misano blue? 😏
And same 200hp 2.0t since...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question

At what point do we stop calling them SUV's???

Because there ain't much utility in these Compact cars with rear hatches...
      07-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #8
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:36 PM   #9
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

I was in Schomp a few weeks ago. They had an X2 next to a 328 Touring. Why anyone would chose the X2 is beyond me.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 12:03 AM   #10
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:

Exactly.

I don't quite see the point of these type of cars.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:

I can't stand the odd seating positions of all these crossovers. Something is just off and feels unnatural compared to sedans and real SUVs.

I suppose that's what happens when you essentially jack up a wagon like 2 inches then add like 6-7 inches of height to the body.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I'm not a fan of the big grills.
This car reminds me a lot of a Subaru Cross Trek.
The interior is very nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
supra93
Colonel
Rep

The all-new Audi Q3: Delivering striking design, seamless technology, and thoughtful

http://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/249

Quote:
  • Bigger dimensions, more comfort: compact SUV with outstanding everyday utility
  • New operating concept: digital displays and MMI touch display
  • Connected like the full-size segment: smart infotainment and clever assist systems
  • INGOLSTADT, Germany, July 25, 2018 – The new Audi Q3 is a family SUV with great all-round talents. In the second generation it appears not only visually more self-confident, but also roomier and more versatile. Just like the Audi top-of-the-line models, it features a fully digital operating and display concept, extensive infotainment solutions and innovative assist systems. They enhance comfort, as does the further developed suspension. The new Audi Q3 will begin arriving at European dealerships in November 2018.

Strength and presence: the exterior design
The new Audi Q3 looks much sportier than its predecessor. Thanks to the striking Singleframe in octagon design, which is divided up by vertical bars, along with the large air inlets. They characterize the masculine front-end with its intensive play of light and shadow. The narrow headlights run inwards with their wedge shape. Audi supplies them in three versions through to Matrix LED technology whose adaptive high beam intelligently illuminates the road. The side view epitomizes the balance of the exterior design with the symmetrical lighting graphics of the headlights and rear lights. The shoulder line connects them from a styling perspective and provides an athletic overall impression with strong muscles over the wheel arches. The contours draw their inspiration from Audi’s quattro DNA and make the SUV seem even wider; the color-contrasting wheel arch trims emphasize the offroad look. Supported by a long roof edge spoiler, which also flanks the rear window at the side, the steeply raked D pillars of the body line also create an appearance of forward thrust.

Driver-oriented and sporty: the interior
Taut lines, three-dimensionally styled elements – the interior continues the design of the exterior and echoes in many ways the brand’s full-size models. The architecture harmonizes perfectly with the new operating concept. Its central element is the MMI touch display with its high-gloss black glass-look surround.

Together with the air conditioning controls underneath, it is tilted ten degrees toward the driver. All displays, buttons and controls are located ergonomically. The comfortable seats provide a sporty position; the steering wheel is steeply angled accordingly.

Generous and variable: the space concept
Compared with its predecessor, the new Audi Q3 has grown in virtually all dimensions. It is 4,485 millimeters (14.7 ft) long, 1,856 millimeters (6.1 ft) wide and 1,585 millimeters (5.2 ft) high. Its wheelbase, which has been stretched by 77 millimeters (3.0 in), is spacious yet, at the same time, extremely versatile: The rear seats can be moved fore/aft by 150 millimeters
(5.9 in). Their three-way split backrests in the ratio 40:20:40 can be tilted in seven stages. Depending on the position of the rear seats and backrests, the luggage compartment capacity is between 530 and 1,525 liters (18.7-53.9 cu ft). The loading floor can be adjusted in three levels and the parcel shelf can be stowed underneath the floor if not needed. An electric tailgate, which can also be opened and closed with a kicking motion, is also available as an option.

Digital world: controls and displays
The operating and display concept of the SUV has been overhauled from the ground up – Audi has done away with the analog instruments. Even the standard specification includes a digital instrument cluster with a 10.25 inch screen diagonal, which the driver operates using the multifunction steering wheel. With the top-of-the-line equipment MMI navigation plus, the displays appear in the Audi virtual cockpit, which offers many additional functions. There is also a 10.1-inch touch display. As an option, the driver can choose the larger Audi virtual cockpit plus with three different views, including a new, particularly sporty display. The intuitive operating concept with its flat menu structure is supplemented by natural-language voice control. It also understands freely structured wording. The ingenious dialog manager asks questions if necessary, allows corrections, offers choices and defers to the speaker when interrupted.

Intelligently connected: infotainment and Audi connect
The top-of-the-line infotainment system in the Audi Q3 offers the same technical functions as in the higher segments. Its data transfer module supports the LTE Advanced standard with integrated Wi-Fi hotspot for the passengers’ mobile devices. The navigation system recognizes the driver’s preferences based on previous journeys, allowing it to generate suitable route suggestions. The Audi connect portfolio ideally supplements navigation guidance with traffic information online, the point-of-interest search and information on parking spaces and filling stations appearing directly in the navigation map. The Audi Q3 utilizes the Audi fleet’s swarm intelligence to forecast the availability of roadside parking space, to provide information on hazardous spots and current speed limits. Other options include Google Earth and the hybrid radio, which automatically switches between FM, DAB and the online stream to ensure optimum reception at all times. The voice control function accesses information stored in the vehicle as well as the detailed knowledge in the cloud to respond. The Audi Q3 is even more tightly integrated with the myAudi app. It seamlessly connects a smartphone to the car. The customer can, for instance, transfer navigation routes and the smartphone calendar to the MMI and locate where the Q3 is parked.

A range of hardware modules supplement the infotainment portfolio, including the Audi phone box. It links the owner’s smartphone to the vehicle’s antenna and charges the phone inductively. The Audi smartphone interface links customers’ iOS and Android cell phones and places their Apple Car Play or Android Auto environment on the MMI display. The Bang & Olufsen Premium Sound System with virtual sound provides three-dimensional audio and drives a total of 15 loudspeakers.

Convenience and safety: driver assistance systems
The adaptive cruise assist is a highlight of the assist systems. It incorporates the functions of adaptive speed assist, traffic jam assist and active lane assist. In this way it assists the driver with longitudinal and lateral control – substantially enhancing comfort on long journeys in particular. The Audi Q3 makes maneuvering easier thanks to the four 360 degree cameras.

They show on the large infotainment screen the SUV’s immediate surroundings. Here the driver can also follow the maneuvers completed by the park assist. The park assist steers the car automatically into and out of parking spaces. The driver only has to accelerate, brake and shift gears. If the driver wants to reverse out of a parallel parking space or a tight entrance, cross traffic assist is activated. The radar sensors, which the system uses to monitor the area behind the vehicle, also provide information to the standard-fit lane change warning. If the system detects a vehicle located in the blind spot or approaching quickly from the rear, a warning LED is lit in the relevant exterior mirror.

Agility on- and offroad: engines and suspension
As part of the sales launch, Audi is delivering the new Q3 with four engine versions, three gasoline and one diesel unit in combination with front-wheel or quattro drive. Their power outputs range from 110 kW (150 hp) to 169 kW (230 hp). All engines are four-cylinder direct injection units with turbocharging. They are powerful, refined and efficient. A six-speed manual transmission or a fast-shifting seven-speed S tronic is used to transmit the power. Offroad the permanent all-wheel drive delivers excellent driving pleasure with optimum traction and unshakable stability. Activated at the push of a button, the optional hill descent control maintains the preset speed on a steep downhill gradient. The driver can vary the characteristics of the Audi Q3 depending on the driving situation, road conditions or personal needs using the Audi drive select dynamic handling system with six profiles – from markedly comfortable, highly efficient through to out-and-out sporty. The system also influences the optional suspension with damper control where sensors measure the movements of all four wheels as well as the vehicle’s lateral and longitudinal acceleration and adjust the dampers as required. This results in enhanced driving dynamics with even more comfort. Alternatively, there is the sport suspension – standard with the S line exterior package – with tauter spring/damper tuning and progressive steering. Its ratio becomes increasingly direct with increasing steering angle, adding substantially to the light-footed handling of the new Audi Q3.

The equipment, data and prices specified in this release refer to the model range offered in Germany. Subject to change without notice; errors and omissions excepted. U.S. model specifications to follow closer to launch in 2019.

– End –
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I can't stand the odd seating positions of all these crossovers. Something is just off and feels unnatural compared to sedans and real SUVs.

I suppose that's what happens when you essentially jack up a wagon like 2 inches then add like 6-7 inches of height to the body.

Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I like it
      07-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Remind me what wagons we can get here?

The F31 was only available with the four banger, an automatic and the tall awd setup. The G21 isn't coming here.

The A4 Allroad is similar, tall, with cladding, you can pay more to paint it body color.

No C Class wagon.

A few goofball Subaru's with CVT's.

A Jetta with a 1.8t and either fwd or Haldex.

A Volvo V90 and a slightly smaller V60.

The E350 and E63.

The Panamera Touring.

I think a Jag XF, but I haven't seen one.

There just isn't anything available in the $35-$70k window outside of one Volvo wagon that's pretty large or an equally large and heavy A4 Allroad.

So folks turned to what's actually available. Smaller Trucklets. I still miss our X1 35i, I wish someone would make a 300+ hp trucklet that was rwd biased. But this is almost as pointless as my other wish for an E36/E46 sized sedan with a manual and rwd.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Remind me what wagons we can get here?

The F31 was only available with the four banger, an automatic and the tall awd setup. The G21 isn't coming here.

The A4 Allroad is similar, tall, with cladding, you can pay more to paint it body color.

No C Class wagon.

A few goofball Subaru's with CVT's.

A Jetta with a 1.8t and either fwd or Haldex.

A Volvo V90 and a slightly smaller V60.

The E350 and E63.

The Panamera Touring.

I think a Jag XF, but I haven't seen one.

There just isn't anything available in the $35-$70k window outside of one Volvo wagon that's pretty large or an equally large and heavy A4 Allroad.

So folks turned to what's actually available. Smaller Trucklets. I still miss our X1 35i, I wish someone would make a 300+ hp trucklet that was rwd biased. But this is almost as pointless as my other wish for an E36/E46 sized sedan with a manual and rwd.

You forgot the Buick. Of course everyone forgot the Buick.

https://www.caranddriver.com/buick/regal-tourx

The F31 has a choice of two 4 bangers. Tall? Mine drags the belly pan in anything deeper than 4" or so. But yea, an N55 F31 is top of my wish list.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Diesels don't count. Can you even buy that? And again, dead in a few months with the F31.

And yes, I did ignore the Opel/Buick and will continue to do so.

I'd like a 340i rwd F31, but I'd absolutely love an M140i.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #19
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

We're looking at a Q3 for my wife's next car. Currently have a 2010 A3 and if Audi would only bring the A1 or the current gen A3 hatch to Canada it would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, there's nothing in that segment that seems remotely worthwhile anymore (my wife would not appreciate the impressiveness of a Focus ST and she doesn't like the look of the Golf R). That leads us to the Q3 and we were looking at a 2018 but it might be worth holding off for the 2019.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
We're looking at a Q3 for my wife's next car. Currently have a 2010 A3 and if Audi would only bring the A1 or the current gen A3 hatch to Canada it would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, there's nothing in that segment that seems remotely worthwhile anymore (my wife would not appreciate the impressiveness of a Focus ST and she doesn't like the look of the Golf R). That leads us to the Q3 and we were looking at a 2018 but it might be worth holding off for the 2019.
Yeah, the '18 is a Mk5 underneath and the '19 is a Mk7. Definitely worth waiting.
Appreciate 0