BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-04-2022, 10:01 PM   #1
///MFreak
///MPowerFreak
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: E92

Higher rear when installing H&R springs

Hey guys!

Want to ask if anyone had the same issue as mine,

Yesterday I had a workshop install H&R sport springs on my E92 M3 compilation and after the install, the has risen from the rear than stock.

Didn’t see any answers when searching.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:17 PM   #2
alpin3m3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - F82 M4

Lowering springs may need time to settle to achieve their full drop. How much higher is it from stock now? Those springs according to H&R are only good for a .25 inch drop in the rear of a competition package car. If you were to measure the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender on a stock competittion package car it should be about 14" inches for the rear and 14.2" for the front.

Check the rear spring for a part number. They make different variations of the
springs. They have the sport and race which should be the same height. But they also make different springs for the e93 and non m cars which will fit on our non convertible cars. Perhaps you got the wrong spring?

You could also take out the spring isolators from the rear to lower it a tad more.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
///MFreak
///MPowerFreak
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpin3m3 View Post
Lowering springs may need time to settle to achieve their full drop. How much higher is it from stock now? Those springs according to H&R are only good for a .25 inch drop in the rear of a competition package car. If you were to measure the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender on a stock competittion package car it should be about 14" inches for the rear and 14.2" for the front.

Check the rear spring for a part number. They make different variations of the
springs. They have the sport and race which should be the same height. But they also make different springs for the e93 and non m cars which will fit on our non convertible cars. Perhaps you got the wrong spring?

You could also take out the spring isolators from the rear to lower it a tad more.
I installed it 3 days ago and still very high on the rears, I didn't measure the drop but there's a finger difference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

Yeah that doesn't look right. I've run that set up before and the rear wheels had a very slight amount of tuck. Zero finger gap for sure.
You should check if the rear springs are seated correctly in both upper and lower pads, as well as the lower control arm perch.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:53 AM   #5
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Couple of ideas:

1. Your car looks lower than factory in your before pictures. Maybe it's the photo. Are you sure you had OEM ZCP Springs in there?

2. Are your HR springs new? What's the part #? Sport or Race? For e92 - coupe? Perhaps they are for the heavier e93 - convertible?

3. Incorrect installation?

Also, your front ride height is very low. You will be likely riding on the bump stops. Personally, I would either keep the ZCP springs or move to ohlins RT.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 03:04 PM   #6
///MFreak
///MPowerFreak
Saudi Arabia
Rep

The shop reinstalled the springs and checked the pads and control arm perch and still the same result. Tomorrow will install the stock springs and check again.

I still don’t know the reason why it’s higher not lower, maybe something wrong with the springs.

Btw it’s used
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
Dr Ed
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E90

I have these same H&R Sport springs on my 09 E90 (non-edc/I-Drive car) and the rear does sit a bit higher. My car is also on 18" BBS wheels with 275/35/18 tires. The front drop looks great, not too high and not too low, but the rear is sitting a tad too high for me. I've also had these springs for the last 10,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #8
///MFreak
///MPowerFreak
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Guys! Turns out the springs are for the E93, thus it’s higher even though stcok and h&r springs are the same height. Removed them and will purchase new ones. Thanks all for the input.
Appreciate 0