BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

06-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Pad suggestions and replacing rotors

It's my first time doing brakes and I would love some pad suggestions. My car has 48k and has not seen the track (that I know of - got it last year at 42k). I actually need two pad suggestions, one for street and one for track.

Street
Priorities are low dust and noise. Cleaning ZCP wheels is no fun!

Track
I only plan to go 1-2x/yr, but my closest track is Laguna Seca, which is hard on brakes. I have seen many suggestions for track, but not sure how to pick one over another really as it seems people are happy/unhappy with numerous brands/compounds. I'd like something that's at least somewhat low noise in case I don't have time to swap pads for a few days after a track day (this is my DD).

My car is otherwise stock, and I plan to do upgraded fluid and stainless lines at the same time. I am a low-intermediate driver.

Also, I am not sure whether or not I'll need rotors. I heard the wear mark is stamped on the rotor - can I rely on this and inspecting for cracks to determine if I should replace them, or is some other measurement method needed? How about replacing wear sensors? They show 5k/8k left.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you cannot have the best of both worlds. If you want better stopping power, you need to deal with noise and dust.

The most aggressive "dual-use" pad I would recommend is the Ferodo DS2500. It dusts about the same as stock but shouldn't make any noise with proper bedding, and is capable of light track usage. I've been very pleased with it on several different cars that are daily driven and get to the track once a month, and Dave at Zeckhausen Racing consistently recommends it as one of the best dual-use pads.

I'm not sure I would recommend a dedicated track pad since you admit you are not an experienced driver and only do it once or twice a year. The DS2500 should be enough pad for you. Focus on improving your technique and then you will know when it's time for new pads.

I'm not aware of a wear mark being stamped on the rotor. The minimum thickness is stamped on it, so you'll need something to measure.

The sensors will need to be replaced, yes. The DS2500 pad I recommended above will accept sensors but you may melt/crack them at the track.
      06-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

I tried to make it clear but I guess it wasn't clear enough - I'm not looking for a dual-use pad. I am looking for track pads and plan to swap them, but it just so happens that my street pads are also in need of replacement. So I'm looking for a street set with less dust than stock, plus a separate track set.

Also I would say I am decently fast. I have only done 5-6 track days, but have done 50-60 autocrosses and had some FTDs in a modded Integra. With my stock S2000 it was rare that I'd get passed at all in Intermediate. So although I have lots to learn, I wouldn't say I'm a rank newbie just getting my feet wet

I've never dealt with sensors before. So could I just take the sensors off when I go to the track, and put them back on when I swap back to street pads? I presume these are easy to install when swapping pads?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

I guess I'd be open to a hybrid approach, since I hate changing pads and I don't go that often. Besides the DS2500s, I've read good things about StopTech Street Performance pads. Would they hold up while being civilized, provided I get some good fluid in there?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Does anyone have input on carbotechs? Not sure if they are good for street use, but their website says they are easy on rotors unlike track pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
rymerc
winner of many hpde trophies
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
I guess I'd be open to a hybrid approach, since I hate changing pads and I don't go that often. Besides the DS2500s, I've read good things about StopTech Street Performance pads. Would they hold up while being civilized, provided I get some good fluid in there?
One of the guys locally ran Stoptech Street performance pads on a few cars, (they call them something else now Stoptech Sport maybe?) they are decent, but won't be enough on track unless you manage your brakes carefully or are slow.

I'm trying powerstop track day pads, and once bedded they don't make any noise on the street, and held up great at the last hpde I did running on STL/ITB/T4ish pace.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

I've run PFC 01's, 11's and 08's all on the street. They have a bit of noise but don't require a ton of heat to get working like my DTC 70's lol.

I'd recommend SRF for fluid, there are plenty of debates as to whether it's worth it or not, but it has such a high wet boiling point that you only need to flush it fully maybe once a year. RBF600 is good too but you'll need to flush it more often, making it just as costly as SRF, if not more.

As far as rotors and sensors go, there's no real cheap option on rotors for this car. Sucks. Not sure of what the minimum thickness is but it's around here somewhere.

Sensors, just snip them and crimp the two wires together and check your pads manually. It works just fine that way, and you wont melt their stupid plastic connectors. Plus saves you 28 bucks.
      06-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Duplicate
      06-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all. I bought a lightly used set of RS19s from a forum member here, and will measure my rotor thickness this weekend. Still trying to decide on stainless lines.

On the fluid, if I go with RBF 600, how often should I be flushing if I'm only doing maybe 2 track days this year? I also live in a fairly dry environment (NorCal).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all. I bought a lightly used set of RS19s from a forum member here, and will measure my rotor thickness this weekend. Still trying to decide on stainless lines.

On the fluid, if I go with RBF 600, how often should I be flushing if I'm only doing maybe 2 track days this year? I also live in a fairly dry environment (NorCal).
Unsure of that answer. Sorry!
      06-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Unsure of that answer. Sorry!
I talked with a shop and decided to go SRF. They said basically once RBF boils, you have to flush it. Given this is my daily driver, I'm okay paying extra to save potential hassle (I hate dealing with brake fluid).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I talked with a shop and decided to go SRF. They said basically once RBF boils, you have to flush it. Given this is my daily driver, I'm okay paying extra to save potential hassle (I hate dealing with brake fluid).
Good deal, glad you found the answer.
      06-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I'm running Project Mu HC+ for track use. On my 2nd set now. They work very good but will squeal on street driving.

I run Endless MX72 for street. Good street pads but I made the mistake of running these on the track once and it coated the rotors with deposits. I ended up replacing the rotors.
      10-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Bringing this back as I am in a similar situation. I have an '11 E90 that's the weekend car with the occasional Auto-X and mountain ride. I plan to stick with OEM rotors. Maybe eventually bump up to something more robust, but I think pad/fluid change should cover my needs.

My priorities are to:

* Drop the amount of dust that's coming out (not sure which pads are on the car right now, I picked it up just a few months back) because cleaning ZCP wheels takes longer than the car
* Get some more performance out of the brakes. This has been my biggest disappointment with the car. A little more bite and little less fade.

My shop is recommending the PFC-08's it looks like. What's the concensus on these for let's call it...75% street cruising and 25% hard "street" (mountain runs mainly - think Dragon's Tail for any non-locals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I'm running Project Mu HC+ for track use. On my 2nd set now. They work very good but will squeal on street driving.

I run Endless MX72 for street. Good street pads but I made the mistake of running these on the track once and it coated the rotors with deposits. I ended up replacing the rotors.
Totally unrelated, but we have identical cars. My '13.5 GLI is my DD and the E90 is the fun car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

I believe StopTech Street Performance should work well for you - a bit better performance and less dust vs. stock. PFC08 seem like overkill for non-track.

I went with the Akebonos for the street, which I'm very happy with for that purpose, but they do sacrifice a little bite compared to stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
I believe StopTech Street Performance should work well for you - a bit better performance and less dust vs. stock. PFC08 seem like overkill for non-track.

I went with the Akebonos for the street, which I'm very happy with for that purpose, but they do sacrifice a little bite compared to stock.
Well let me pull my foot out of my mouth. I am assuming that they are PFC-08's. He had called them "PFC Carbon Metallic street/light track pad". PFC-08 seemed to fit the bill. Does this sound right? I'll reach back out to him to see what's going on. His price seemed pretty low for PFC-08.

EDIT: Looks like PFC Z-Rated is their choice.

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 10-25-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Well let me pull my foot out of my mouth. I am assuming that they are PFC-08's. He had called them "PFC Carbon Metallic street/light track pad". PFC-08 seemed to fit the bill. Does this sound right? I'll reach back out to him to see what's going on. His price seemed pretty low for PFC-08.

EDIT: Looks like PFC Z-Rated is their choice.
I've run Z-rated on a 1M and felt initial bite to be lacking compared to OEM.

No pad exists that will increase bite and produce less dust.

Another pad to consider if mild performance increase supercedes brake dust concerns might be the Ferodo DS2500.
Appreciate 0