BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
JohnyRangr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

1,200 Mile Service & Me

Here we go again...

So let me start at the begining.

My M3 contacted my prefered service department saying it needed service, the next day I got an email stating the fact. I told them I'd rather wait until I actually hit 1,200 miles before I bring it in (currently 700 miles). I also relayed my concern about them changing the DCT oil and I did not want it changed. I also referenced the service bulletin for good measure. I also stated I did not want my car washed or vacuumed. I never got a response back from them for about 4 days then I decided to contact my CA and express my concern. Well he asked someone else and that someone asked the SA which told her that the DCT oil infact did need to be changed (thank you god for this forum and it's wealth of knowledge or I'd be waiting a month for my transmission to be replaced). So I shot an email back (I want all of this in writing just in case) copying the entire service bulletin and told her and the service advisor they were wrong unless they can provide a more up to date bulletin. Depending on how this plays out I will be going to another dealership and calling BMW NA...I just wanted to see if there is anything else I can do. Please excuse the runons, etc...I'm pretty pissed. I don't understand how there is no checklist...and if there is why the f***ing techs don't read them.

Thanks guys, and I'll update as it all plays out.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Don't Let Them Change The Dct Fluid !!!

The DCT fluid SHOULD NOT be changed. If they got their mind set on arguing based on ignorance I would not feel safe to take it there. Take it to another dealer and print the bulletin to show it to them. I made my SA write on the work order NOT TO CHANGE THE DCT FLUID. They Only should change the engine oil and differential oil(add FM booster).Good luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRangr View Post
Here we go again...

My M3 contacted my prefered service department saying it needed service, the next day I got an email stating the fact. I told them I'd rather wait until I actually hit 1,200 miles before I bring it in (currently 700 miles). I also relayed my concern about them changing the DCT oil and I did not want it changed. I also referenced the service bulletin for good measure. I also stated I did not want my car washed or vacuumed. I never got a response back from them for about 4 days then I decided to contact my CA and express my concern. Well he asked someone else and that someone asked the SA which told her that the DCT oil infact did need to be changed (thank you god for this forum and it's wealth of knowledge or I'd be waiting a month for my transmission to be replaced). So I shot an email back (I want all of this in writing just in case) copying the entire service bulletin and told her and the service advisor they were wrong unless they can provide a more up to date bulletin. Depending on how this plays out I will be going to another dealership and calling BMW NA...I just wanted to see if there is anything else I can do. Please excuse the runons, etc...I'm pretty pissed. I don't understand how there is no checklist...and if there is why the f***ing techs don't read them.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
JohnyRangr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
The DCT fluid SHOULD NOT be changed. If they got their mind set on arguing based on ignorance I would not feel safe to take it there. Take it to another dealer and print the bulletin to show it to them. I made my SA write on the work order NOT TO CHANGE THE DCT FLUID. They Only should change the engine oil and differential oil(add FM booster).Good luck!!
FM booster?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Sorry to hear this. I am taking my car in Wednesday for its first break-in service. I believe they told it would just be an engine oil change but who knows? Their service has been great so far though - I will let you know how it goes. Is there a reason why not to change the dct transmission fluid btw?

Quote:
Here we go again...

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
JohnyRangr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Sorry to hear this. I am taking my car in Wednesday for its first break-in service. I believe they told it would just be an engine oil change but who knows? Their service has been great so far though - I will let you know how it goes. Is there a reason why not to change the dct transmission fluid btw?
BMW says not to...

Le Mans Blue M said that DCT can benefit from changing the oil every something miles...I don't remember exactly what it was.

As for the exact reason why...most BMW dealerships don't have the correct rated oil in stock...and usually change it with regular tranny oil...which results in.... transmission. If you absolutely know for a fact that they have the right oil...then there is no harm in it...but I still would not do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Getting the DCT oil changed is a great idea (expensive stuff) if dealer wants to do it... as long as it's done properly. Dealers obviously have proper instructions, but just because a couple of techs erroneously put 6MT oil, everybody assumes it requires a rocket science degree to perform . Having said that, I'd certainly welcome the freebie, but I'd be there just to make sure it's not screwed up. Good day.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-23-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
JohnyRangr
Private First Class
Rep

Well the dealership replied to me after I sent them the service bulletin again...they changed their tune...odd as they were CERTAIN it needed to be changed. They said they would not change the DCT oil...but now I'm skeptical of even bringing it to that dealership...I think I'm going to see if the dealership closer to me gives me any trouble...thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
///M Protocol
Rep
n/a
Drives:

there is nothing wrong with changing your DCT fluid. the only problem is stupid tech that replaces the DCT fluid with 6MT fluid which causes the transmission to crapped out.

If I were you I would easily get the freebie DCT fluid change. The first 1200 miles will have a lot of metal debris from the engine, tranny, and rear diff breaking in.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
it prevents the noise that comes from the differential on slow speed tight turns
Quote:
FM booster?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
I agree! but the problem is they don't have it in stock and it has to come from Germany...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Getting the DCT oil changed is a great idea (expensive stuff) if dealer wants to do it... as long as it's done properly. Dealers obviously have proper instructions, but just because a couple of techs erroneously put 6MT oil, everybody assumes it requires a rocket science degree to perform . Having said that, I'd certainly welcome the freebe, but I'd be there just to make sure it's not screwed up. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
///M Protocol
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
FM booster?
Yup..it is the new additive for the new BMW limited_slip diff oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

I gave my car for servicing today - they informed me that they will only be changing the oil and differential fluid, and that they are advised not to change the DCT fluid until 30k miles. They also mentioned they will be re-mapping the engine? Does anyone know what exactly that means (I know what re-mapping means, just not what this change entails for the M3).

Hope this helps

Quote:
Well the dealership replied to me after I sent them the service bulletin again...they changed their tune...odd as they were CERTAIN it needed to be changed. They said they would not change the DCT oil...but now I'm skeptical of even bringing it to that dealership...I think I'm going to see if the dealership closer to me gives me any trouble...thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
///M Protocol
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I gave my car for servicing today - they informed me that they will only be changing the oil and differential fluid, and that they are advised not to change the DCT fluid until 30k miles. They also mentioned they will be re-mapping the engine? Does anyone know what exactly that means (I know what re-mapping means, just not what this change entails for the M3).

Hope this helps
remapping your ecu is nothing more than updating your engine managemnt firmware/software.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Service done

Got my car back today...was a long wait but worth it. They had to replace the headlight (left lightbulb was giving fault notices - already?!) and I asked them to inspect an engine noise at mid-range RPM (3500-5000). Turns out all the other e90/e92s make the same sound, although my SA had to drive someone else's to confirm this.

Things that they did:

1.) Washed car (*Slaps forehead*, completely forgot to ask them to NOT do this. No real scratches visible, though, so maybe I got off lucky)
2.) Changed engine oil
3.) Changed differential fluid
4.) Repairs (engine noise + headlight issue)
5.) ECU remapping

Now my feedback about the experience:

I had a 335 during the time it took for service (2.5 days), and as soon as I swapped back to my car, my first thought was 'wow, this feels a tad slow!'. Well, then I got on the highway, and had my first full-throttle 5500+ RPM run...and all the waiting was suddenly worth it. What a BEAST!! I shifted as soon as I saw the shifter lights pop up, but for the first time I heard the engine actually SCREAM - needless to say, that sent shivers down my spine.

For all of you waiting for your car to be delivered/trying to slog it out through the 1200 mile break-in, let me tell you that it is 100% worth it. Because that first time you step on the gas and experience full throttle...well, it's aheavenly moment.
Appreciate 0