BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

06-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

9L of oil did not fill the engine

I just did an oil change and at first I put in 8.5L and the level indicator read at the top arrow. Then a day after the oil change the oil level went down to between the top arrow and the midline. Still an acceptable level but I decided to add the remaining .5L anyway. I'm wondering 2 things. Why did the level reading change after one day and why does 9L not bring the level to the top arrow when the capacity is supposed to be a little less than 9L?
      06-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I just did an oil change and at first I put in 8.5L and the level indicator read at the top arrow. Then a day after the oil change the oil level went down to between the top arrow and the midline. Still an acceptable level but I decided to add the remaining .5L anyway. I'm wondering 2 things. Why did the level reading change after one day and why does 9L not bring the level to the top arrow when the capacity is supposed to be a little less than 9L?
because the oil sensors suck...they are positioned poorly and they are seemingly incapable of taking a precise reading. you're never going to get an accurate measurement.
      06-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
because the oil sensors suck...they are positioned poorly and they are seemingly incapable of taking a precise reading. you're never going to get an accurate measurement.
+1. You're probably okay at only 0.2L overfill, but the electronic system is a POS. Give me a dipstick any day.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

My car took 9.25L but tech left it draining while at lunch.

Here's my experience with oil level once I learned how to do it (has been perfectly consistent). Since we're dealing with 2 sumps, oil level doesn't stabilize until car is driven at least 10 miles after changing or adding oil; that's why sometimes the level seems erratic, but it's a sensor: it's just reporting what it senses at the time it's ready to read the level (it's going to read lower at higher rpms than at idle, so idle is how to check it accurately and consistently). Oil has to be around 160ºF (the closer to operating temp the better). You also need to know every time you turn ignition on, oil level is reset, and a new reading recorded (sensor DOES NOT constantly monitor oil level folks). The most accurate time to read oil level is at idle. And just like with a dipstick, the best way to check oil level is ALWAYS AT THE SAME SPOT. Now you can see why you can have different levels depending when your sensor took the reading. Now that we know everything about how oil level is measured, I came up with the following method, which has been 100% consistent:

After driving at least 10 miles (engine fully hot), park your car in your usual spot (garage, etc), and either turn it off then on again, or do a manual reset (with engine fully hot, it's pretty accurate) with the engine idling until it reads level. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds. If you do this, level reading will be consistent every sngle time.

So there you have it. After changing the oil, if your level is still not full, add 0.25L at a time following the prodedure above. WHen the level jumps to full, you're done. And when level drops below full, add 0.25L and it'll bring it back up to full again; that's exactly what I'll do, since I don't believe in waiting until you get the message to add +1L or risk engine damage (manual be damned ). That way you should never have to carry oil in your car. I always like to have my vehicles topped off, but it's your car; just a suggestion. Hope this helps gentlemen.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Grey Space
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
After changing the oil, if your level is still not full, add 0.25L at a time following the prodedure above. WHen the level jumps to full, you're done. And when level drops below full, add 0.25L and it'll bring it back up to full again
The manual states, "Add at least 0.5 US Quart/0.5 Liters, otherwise the oil-level monitor will be unable to display the new value reliably."

This says to me that your recommendation is not useful - it is likely to result in overfilling by 0.25L.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Do not fill more then 8.8L. Unless you're really draining all the oil inside oilcoolersystem. What I've been told ''Never overfill and engine with oil''.

When I changed my oil, I let everyting drain for like an hour. Then I put in roughly 8.5L. Oil leveler showed nearly full.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
shendrick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

When I was down 2 bars at around 7K miles, I added .25 liters of oil and had to wait the better part of a week before the sensor showed a change. I then added .25 again and after yet another coupl of days it showed the oil topped off. You need to be patient with the sensor if you are going to add a little at a time.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I have had the oil changed 4 times now & every time it has taken 9 litres to have the oil level indicator at the full level.Twice the dealer put 8.5 litres in and it needed 1/2 litre in a couple of days.I wish they would have a dipstick instead of this hard to understand oil monitoring system.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Space View Post
The manual states, "Add at least 0.5 US Quart/0.5 Liters, otherwise the oil-level monitor will be unable to display the new value reliably."

This says to me that your recommendation is not useful - it is likely to result in overfilling by 0.25L.
+1000. RTFM boys
      11-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendrick View Post
When I was down 2 bars at around 7K miles, I added .25 liters of oil and had to wait the better part of a week before the sensor showed a change. I then added .25 again and after yet another coupl of days it showed the oil topped off. You need to be patient with the sensor if you are going to add a little at a time.
That kind of delay in the sensor is just STUPID!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I have had the oil changed 4 times now & every time it has taken 9 litres to have the oil level indicator at the full level.Twice the dealer put 8.5 litres in and it needed 1/2 litre in a couple of days.I wish they would have a dipstick instead of this hard to understand oil monitoring system.
Same thing happened yesterday after my 1 year oil change. I drove away and it showed 1 quart low, but I kep driving to the store. Even after shut down and restart it showed it was low. The dealer added about 3/4 quart until it showed it was full. I'm thinking he maybe put in 8 quarts and not the 8.5?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0