BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
extra_slick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Issues with AFE's products (x pipe) and service. Anyone else have issues too?

Ordered an AFE catted x pipe for my e90 m3 in january, got it installed in february. There's some sort of issue where the cat is contacting the floor of my car and it's also contacting the transmission crossmember. Contacted afe in early march, had tons of back and forth leading nowhere. Went through Turner who was the vendor who was more helpful and eventually was able to get AFE to send a new part, yet it hasn't been sent and that agreement was made weeks ago. Very frustrating, has anyone had issues with AFE as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
areyouamac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Black M3 DCT

extra_slick

How did you originally pay? Via Credit Card? If the agreement has been made that you should've received the replacement a few weeks ago, contact your payment provider and dispute it.

These companies need to understand how to treat their customers better. It's your hard earned money. Don't let this slide so they can do the same sh!t to another customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

my aFe catted x also had some fit issues (had to drill a hole in a tab to get it to line up properly where the hangers bolt near the trans, needed different clamps at the catted pipe/xpipe joint) but it's not hitting anything.
      05-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Inluvwithastr1pper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra_slick View Post
Ordered an AFE catted x pipe for my e90 m3 in january, got it installed in february. There's some sort of issue where the cat is contacting the floor of my car and it's also contacting the transmission crossmember. Contacted afe in early march, had tons of back and forth leading nowhere. Went through Turner who was the vendor who was more helpful and eventually was able to get AFE to send a new part, yet it hasn't been sent and that agreement was made weeks ago. Very frustrating, has anyone had issues with AFE as well?
The cats on AFE pipes are round where our OEM ones are pancaked. You have to bend the heat shield up a little to make sure there is no contact.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
AC/DC
NooB
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inluvwithastr1pper View Post
The cats on AFE pipes are round where our OEM ones are pancaked. You have to bend the heat shield up a little to make sure there is no contact.
Nice to know. Could you provide a few pictures? I have this setup in storage and will be installing soon and want to make sure I avoid! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zvU...ew?usp=sharing
Heres a picture of the heat shields with the cats removed. Bang on that flat silver plating with a mallet and flat iron to get it out of the way and the buzzing should stop. Old motor mounts will also cause things to sag so before finalizing your fitment you should consider replacing those to be sure you dont end up dealing with another issue later (exhaust will ride even higher up).

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 05-22-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
extra_slick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zvU...-BS__0liY/view
Heres a picture of the heat shields with the cats removed. Bang on that flat silver plating with a mallet and flat iron to get it out of the way and the buzzing should stop. Old motor mounts will also cause things to sag so before finalizing your fitment you should consider replacing those to be sure you dont end up dealing with another issue later (exhaust will ride even higher up).
My motor mounts are oem with 5k miles on them
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have the catted/resonated afe xpipe. its a tight fit, but my cats don't touch anything, they just hang a little low since they are round.
i had to completely ditch that hanger near the transmission. it wasn't lining up, and i saved a little weight. it doesn't really support anything anyways. middle hanger might need a little massaging and finesse, but it fit. no other issues.

afe support is garbage. good company, but support is shit. don't follow the instructions, by the way- the instructions will make it impossible. you can't install the two connecting pipes that bolt to the headers are slightly different lengths, and it is impossible to slide the middle part of the xpipe onto them when they are on the car like the instructions say. put it all together loosely and massage it into place.
have some ibuprofen and beer ready for when you're done.

Last edited by roastbeef; 05-22-2019 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0