BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-11-2021, 03:38 AM   #1
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

E92 misfire and reduced power mode

I have been doing some work on my E92 M3 took off exhaust to have a repair and then have been doing some cleaning in the engine bay. I removed the induction kit and plenum and then refitted.

I started it up yesterday and it seems to be misfiring and has a warning message of reduced engine power.

I have checked the whole engine bay to see if I have missed a pipe or not tightened up one of the throttle clips properly but they are all pretty tight and I cant hear any air being drawn in at all.

But something is wrong that defo was not there before.

Is there any tests I can do to see if air is being drawn in from a specific place?

It’s driving me mad as want to use it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I have taken a few reads of the car with ista + and what seems strange is a chunk of modules are not showing and some ECU not responding

the first pic is a read I did about 9 months ago

this was tonight with loads missing?

the fault codes showing seem to be ignition cyl 3 and coil pack 3 related

several codes that showed before I took it for a drive appear to have gone? Before the clean down looked like this

can anyone advise please?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
You mentioned in your first post, "doing some cleaning in the engine bay". Did you happen to spray any water in or around the spark plug / coil packs? The third image in post 2 shows code 002B69 "ignition coil cylinder 3". That's where I would start in order to debug the misfire. The coil pack itself may have failed or be shorting out..
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
You mentioned in your first post, "doing some cleaning in the engine bay". Did you happen to spray any water in or around the spark plug / coil packs? The third image in post 2 shows code 002B69 "ignition coil cylinder 3". That's where I would start in order to debug the misfire. The coil pack itself may have failed or be shorting out..
Not used any water just been cleaning with damp cloths. I’m going to pull coil pack 3 tomorrow and clean it before replacing to check it’s not shorting but then will purchase replacement.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00
      09-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Update!

I took the coil cover off and was going to swap out coil 3 with 2 to see if the fault followed and went to unplug 3 only to find I must have dislodged it in fitting plenum back on. Plug in wipe codes and boom all sorted! Car runs like a dream!

Thanks for the support I believe it was electrical

Thanks
Appreciate 2