BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Interesting Brake sound - diagnosis

Hey Guys,

I'm having a really odd and hard to pinpoint sound come from my front passenger side brake.

Under the last bit of braking from 5mph-mph sometimes I will notice a clamping sort of sound, almost like tightening a spring under tension.

Is there some sort of spring in the caliper that can go bad?

It can't be pads because it does it with the PFC 08 and OEM pads.

EDIT: Just bounced this problem off of a buddy, he said it could the the Retaining clip? May try switching the sides of the retaining clip to see if it moves to the left.

Thanks,

Last edited by MPower7; 05-21-2018 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Clips are in the mail so I try those when they get here.

The sound is more of a creaking sound right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Could it just be a bad wheel bearing or loose caliper? I've seen failed wheel bearings be noisy at slower revolutions or speeds and be quiet at higher revolutions or speeds. Another idea would be to check the caliper mounting bolts for proper torque. If the noise doesn't happen on a non brake application at the same speeds then it's not a wheel bearing (like coasting to a stop from 5 to 0). Or pads are low/compromised.
      06-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Could it just be a bad wheel bearing or loose caliper? I've seen failed wheel bearings be noisy at slower revolutions or speeds and be quiet at higher revolutions or speeds. Another idea would be to check the caliper mounting bolts for proper torque. If the noise doesn't happen on a non brake application at the same speeds then it's not a wheel bearing (like coasting to a stop from 5 to 0). Or pads are low/compromised.
I don't think it could be a loose caliper / worn pads, it makes the sound on both my track pads and OEM pads which both have plenty of life, i'm confident the caliper is installed correctly.

The noise happens only under braking so that may rule out wheel bearing.

I'm leaning toward's something in the suspension at this point as the sound is now intermittent and seems to be random.

I did have the alignment shop pull my pins and max out the camber. Wonder if something came loose after that job, or is putting more pressure on a bushing or something. I'm only at -1.6 and -1.7.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Did you apply anything to the back of the pads, where they come in contact with the pistons (ie Disc Brake Quiet)? Not doing so usually results in groaning/squeaking brakes (so not the sound you are describing), but you should also apply it to the sides of the pad backing plate where they may contact the caliper. That *might* cause a clamping or metal-on-metal type sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
Did you apply anything to the back of the pads, where they come in contact with the pistons (ie Disc Brake Quiet)? Not doing so usually results in groaning/squeaking brakes (so not the sound you are describing), but you should also apply it to the sides of the pad backing plate where they may contact the caliper. That *might* cause a clamping or metal-on-metal type sound.
I am confident it is not the brakes what so ever. After a track day at Laguna I have a pretty loud clunk coming from the same area.

When I am rolling in neutral backwards about 3 mpg and I apply the brakes I hear a loud CLUNK coming the the front right side suspension.

Could this be the front control arm bushings? I am debating the rogue street bushing vs the monoball as I daily on the bumpy San Francisco roads. Are there any other suspension items that could be the culprit? Hard to tell with out getting under there i'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Mrae
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6MT

There's a thin metal protector or something behind the break disk. I don't know what its name or whats that for... This happens to me sometimes and I assume some little rocks somehow goes in between and makes that cow bell kinda sound?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrae View Post
There's a thin metal protector or something behind the break disk. I don't know what its name or whats that for... This happens to me sometimes and I assume some little rocks somehow goes in between and makes that cow bell kinda sound?
That has happened a few times in the rear. But this is for sure a suspension problem. I am hoping it is just Control Arm Bushings and can be a quick fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Mrae
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrae View Post
That has happened a few times in the rear. But this is for sure a suspension problem. I am hoping it is just Control Arm Bushings and can be a quick fix.
You might try to tighten them and see if you need a replacement.. there may be an upgrade option also if you are looking for full track setup
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Have you gotten your head under there? I had a similar sound a while back, turned out that the bolt holding my sway bar to the end link came loose a couple weeks after install causing the two pieces to rattle around together, but I could only hear it at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
Have you gotten your head under there? I had a similar sound a while back, turned out that the bolt holding my sway bar to the end link came loose a couple weeks after install causing the two pieces to rattle around together, but I could only hear it at low speeds.
I'll try to take a look this weekend. I'm not to familiar with suspension though.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #12
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

I'm having the same exact sound coming from the front. I have pulled pins, SPL Front Spherical Arms and AP Essex Brakes. My first step was to order the anti-rattle clips for my pads. If that doesn't work. I'll look through each piece to ensure nothing came loose.

I torqued everything to spec when I installed but i'm not sure the shop I brought it to did the same when they made adjustments. Keep us posted as to what you find out.
Appreciate 0