BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #23
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

turnfast.com

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
Psylight
Brigadier General
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Teh Space Gray E92 M 6MT

Im in the same boat...my passengers to get jerked around a bit...but practice is helping a lot...
      07-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
IMO...it's not necessarily the rpm u shift at...u can shift at a high rpm. Think about the fact if u r accelerating the there will be a pause in acceleration during the shift. But if u want to keep up with traffic...take the car up to a high rpm in first and stay at a constant speed right before you shift so you're not accelerating then shift so then there will be no moment of decelerating or the pause or lack of acceleration that gives the head nod. Same thing at low rpm, But as u said. Take it higher to keep up with traffic
This is the answer.

When shifting from 1st to 2nd, give enough throttle to just barely get to 4000rpm. So you want to let the RPM climb but without giving it any more input. Then shift as normal. Do the same from 2nd to 3rd, but you only have to take rpm to 3500. The key is written above and that is to let the rpm level out so that when you shift you're not accelerating as much.
      07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky112 View Post
thanks for all the quick replies!

so it seems like the big head rocking motion is unavoidable in "normal" 6MT driving, hehe ("normal" as in keeping up with the traffic in Irvine, where blvds are wide and straight and speed limits are pretty high)

yes, shifting early (ie accelerate slowly) helps, but i dont like getting the mean glare from other drivers, especially with i have my top down and a passenger in the car...

ADubM3 "If you don't like getting beaten off line and want that smooth launch, you probably got the wrong tranny. Just sayin'. " that is like the constant 2nd thought i am having after getting back from the ///M driving school last Aug. the SMGs in M5s and M6s are OK (meaning i'd rather have 6MT), however, the DCT in M3s, be taking it easy for some practice runs, or really pushing it hard for the timed runs just really impressed me.

with that said, however, there is the 3rd voice in my head telling me "i can do it, eventually i can drive 6MT smoothly/quickly" and now that seems to be not case =(

anyhoo, i've never sat in someone's 6MT car, so could someone please comment is the big head rocking motion as uncomfortable as i imagined? or it's just an eye-sore to me as the driver?
Are you fairly new with MT, or coming from a Japanese car? MT not being as smooth as AT is pure non-sense.

I am not as familiar with the e92 clutch, but I've had my share of BMWs with MT, and while it takes a bit of practice to get smooth transition from 1st to 2nd, you can make it go smooth AND fast (unless you are rev'ing it really high like 8k+).

From your description, it sounds like you may be dumping the clutch in every shift. If you are, you may want to soften it a bit. One thing that helps is to know where the engagement point is to be fast and precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoctor View Post
No! The manual transmission should drive as smoothly as you want it to. There is no need to live with any "head rocking". That's just silly.

Keep practicing. It will get easier. And it will eventually be as smooth as an automatic transmission or a DCT.

Or grab somebody your know with a manual transmission and have him/her show you. Or else, I'm going to have to drive down there and give you a ride.
+1. Come down to SD, and I wouldn't mind test driving... er... I mean showing you how to shift I can't wait for my e92 to get here... still a few months away.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #27
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

1 to 2 is generally the hardest to shift smoothly. The easiest way for me to smooth things out is to wait for one beat before reengaging the clutch (give the RPMs time to fall by about 2000 RPMs). This made all the difference for me.

Also, as stated above, no need to dump the clutch in everyday driving - let it out smoothly and allow yourself some time to adjust the revs if you feel a mismatch in the engine speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #28
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADubM3 View Post
If you are worried about the comfort of the passenger, just drive easy and shift early before the revs go up and start to gain speed in 3rd and 4th gears as the shift shock is much less. (as you said) At least that's what I do when I have family in the car.
If you don't like getting beaten off line and want that smooth launch, you probably got the wrong tranny. Just sayin'.
wow nice avatar
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #29
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

If you do the inital part faster (push in the clutch and take it out of gear to get ready for the next gear) and be more patient at the "tug" point, then I think you should be smooth. The m3's engine seems to drop rpms quickly so the next gear would have to be engaged faster to make a smoother marriage with the clutch and the transmission.
      07-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #30
Moderato
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335

It's all about timing. You'll get it after a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #31
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

1800 miles on mine now and smooth as butter.
      07-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #32
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Yep, any car with a lightweight flywheel exhibits these exact same traits. I've been driving manuals for 20 years but this is my first BMW and my first car with a lightweight flywheel and I'm not as smooth as I'd like to be, but it's getting better.
Appreciate 0