BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-18-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

school me on seats and harnesses

i'm trying my best with this build to stay away from cosmetics and spend money on things that make it a better track car, but i hate the bamboo interior which is making me think about seats sooner than i probably need them.

car is an e90, and i just bought a quick fit pro harness (just the one for now). i don't think i'm at the point of needing / benefiting from an interior strip out, nor am i going fast enough to warrant a cage. is something like a recaro sportster with the quick fit pro on both sides a good intermediate step that i won't have to rip out if i ever do move to a cage / no interior? does it make sense to run a quickfit style harness with a track seat like that, or do i need to get a harness bar? also i'm not trailering the car so i need to survive a 2 hour drive up to road america in whatever setup i go with..

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:04 AM   #2
gh0stE92M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

If you’re in SoCal come see https://gridpartners.store/ or give them a call they’re you’re one stop shop and very knowledgeable. They can answer all your questions and get you set up.

But to answer your question you can spend the money on the sportsters or just run the stock seats with the harness you have. Sportsters are good middle ground for comfort and spirited driving but if you’re gonna be tracking a lot bucket seats are where it’s at. There’s some pretty comfortable buckets out there just gotta try them all out.
Appreciate 3
kolosy1493.00
roastbeef11586.00
      09-18-2023, 11:07 AM   #3
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
The Quick Fit Pro (and regular Quick Fit) is only compatible with Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE in already approved cars, so those are your only options as far as aftermarket seats with that specific harness and its attachment points.

If you end up going the roll cage route, that's not the best idea to drive without a helmet and harness so not recommended for a car you'll be driving to the track. Best to trailer it at that point.

For other seats, you'll need a harness bar. If you do end up installing a roll cage in the future, save some money and buy a full containment seat first instead of upgrading to it later.

Hope that helps narrow down the options.
      09-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #4
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
The Quick Fit Pro (and regular Quick Fit) is only compatible with Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE in already approved cars, so those are your only options as far as aftermarket seats with that specific harness and its attachment points.

If you end up going the roll cage route, that's not the best idea to drive without a helmet and harness so not recommended for a car you'll be driving to the track. Best to trailer it at that point.

For other seats, you'll need a harness bar. If you do end up installing a roll cage in the future, save some money and buy a full containment seat first instead of upgrading to it later.

Hope that helps narrow down the options.
didn't realize that part about not street driving a car with full buckets + cage. super helpful, thank you.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 01:34 PM   #5
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
didn't realize that part about not street driving a car with full buckets + cage. super helpful, thank you.
you'll be fine with a half-cage.. a full cage i would for sure no longer consider that a street car.

or just run a BK harness mount. if you wish to use a harness.
Appreciate 1
kolosy1493.00
      09-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
most roll bars on this chassis sit pretty far back from the driver's seat.. You'll be OK on the street.

the concern alot of people have (from what I've gathered) is the worry of hitting your head on the cage in the event of a collision.

-Frank
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 1
kolosy1493.00
      09-22-2023, 10:02 PM   #7
M eyedoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, f10 M5

I have been happy with my Schroth pro belts and stock seats as my car gets frequent street mileage. If the bamboo color is the problem, maybe keep an eye out for used interior to swap. Other option is to dye the seats black. Might make a nice change, and preserves street abilities and $$.
Appreciate 2
kolosy1493.00
      09-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #8
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think your best dual option is a containment seat, a quality harness bar and a 6pt harness. If you are using any harness...should have a HANS device.

So the argument against this is if you have a rollover the roof will cave in and crush your held because a fixed back seat won't flex. Yes, rollovers can cause death. Studies have shown that almost all of the deaths are caused by bodily contact with the ground when the car is on its side - head hitting the ground. People with this argument directly contradict years of data collected by NHTSA, Motorsports and specifically Schroth. I'd believe Schroth and the data.

The downside is a containment seat will make getting in and out of the car a little less dignified. No more wearing skirts. And visibility might be affected in certain situations.

The quick fit PROs are a great option. Not the quick fits. The pro brings the shoulder straps in which helps keep the shoulder straps on the HANS. My opinion is a HANS should be MANDATORY with any 4pt or higher restraint due to the higher risk of a basal skull fracture.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 10:46 PM   #9
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think your best dual option is a containment seat, a quality harness bar and a 6pt harness. If you are using any harness...should have a HANS device.
coming back to this because the season is starting and my OE seat cushion is shot, i'm basically sitting on the seat frame.

dumb question -- how is a containment seat different than a "race" bucket? is the pole position a containment seat?

also -- thoughts on the autopower harness bar? they have a bolt in for the E90 for not a terrible amount of money (yes, yes, shouldn't skimp on safety gear).

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 12:34 AM   #10
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
coming back to this because the season is starting and my OE seat cushion is shot, i'm basically sitting on the seat frame.

dumb question -- how is a containment seat different than a "race" bucket? is the pole position a containment seat?

also -- thoughts on the autopower harness bar? they have a bolt in for the E90 for not a terrible amount of money (yes, yes, shouldn't skimp on safety gear).
containment seats have head restraints. so you body is fully contained from head to thighs.

pole positions do not have a head restraint.
Appreciate 2
kolosy1493.00
bigjae19761571.00
      04-02-2024, 01:36 PM   #11
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

For a street car that gets tracked, I think the happy medium is a bucket seat without head restraints, a harness bar (half roll cage), and HANS device.

Best thing I can recommend is physically sit in a seat before you buy it, if you can. There are a lot of seats out there and they all fit differently in several places that are crucial to get the proper fitment (like shoulder harness hole height, etc). Depending on your body shape, you might find the seat you are wanting fits you the worst! Focus on fitment and not brand name or social media influence.

Also, for my E92, if I could do it over, i’d opt for a half cage that mounts on top of the cross beam in the back seat (like GTS style) rather than one that bolts into the floor. My StudioRSR half cage bolts to the floor and you definitely sacrifice leg room and passenger fitment because of it. I’m 5’9” but anyone taller might have problems getting enough leg room. I see that a bit when I take tall passengers in my car.

Pic of my setup for attention:
Attached Images

04-02-2024, 01:51 PM   #12
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
For a street car that gets tracked, I think the happy medium is a bucket seat without head restraints, a harness bar (half roll cage), and HANS device.

Best thing I can recommend is physically sit in a seat before you buy it, if you can. There are a lot of seats out there and they all fit differently in several places that are crucial to get the proper fitment (like shoulder harness hole height, etc). Depending on your body shape, you might find the seat you are wanting fits you the worst! Focus on fitment and not brand name or social media influence.

Also, for my E92, if I could do it over, i’d opt for a half cage that mounts on top of the cross beam in the back seat (like GTS style) rather than one that bolts into the floor. My StudioRSR half cage bolts to the floor and you definitely sacrifice leg room and passenger fitment because of it. I’m 5’9” but anyone taller might have problems getting enough leg room. I see that a bit when I take tall passengers in my car.

Pic of my setup for attention:
lol @ "for attention"

so crucial update since i posted this thread.. i swapped my daily to an x5 m with a tow hitch on it so i can (open) trailer the car.

... so now it's not really a street car and doesn't need to be..

as i type that, makes me think that i should just say f it, and go with a half cage and real harness (yes, yes + a HANS device)

Appreciate 1
bigjae19761571.00
      04-03-2024, 06:46 AM   #13
Cmassey3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I also have the bamboo beige interior and I feel like it looks bad with black alcantara race seat swaps or even the standard pole positions. From all my rabbit holes on this, I think the GTS execution (half cage + pole position seats) is about the best you can get for a club sport type build.

Then I found that some people can get them recovered in bamboo beige to match. It's probably more hoops than just a regular seat swap. It's also teetering on show car levels of detail, but it's worth a look.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243068

I believe this is a shop that does the work: https://amx-performance.com/ I'd expect most upholsterers to be able to do this type of work though.

If you dislike the beige entirely, you could pick up someone's e90 interior part out and swap over the ones you like to remove all the bamboo colored ones.

Last edited by Cmassey3; 04-03-2024 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 08:36 PM   #14
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
lol @ "for attention"

so crucial update since i posted this thread.. i swapped my daily to an x5 m with a tow hitch on it so i can (open) trailer the car.

... so now it's not really a street car and doesn't need to be..

as i type that, makes me think that i should just say f it, and go with a half cage and real harness (yes, yes + a HANS device)
A harness bar is OK, probably not much different than a 4pt bar.

I think ensuing the driver is securely fastened in the car greatly increases safety because you’re connected to the car and not sliding around and using focus and energy trying to stay in the seat. Less likely to make a mistake or misjudgment.

Just my theory.

My only rule would be if you use a harness, use a HANS.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 2
kolosy1493.00
      04-05-2024, 08:58 PM   #15
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I have the Schroth Quick fit pro and stock seats but was looking into race seats… my torso is way too tall for the shoulder straps on the pole positions. Im not at the point of a cage, so my question is am I better off with the Quick fit pro on stock seats or the ABE with the 3 point belt? Tempted to try the ABE but part of me knows it’s a half solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:25 AM   #16
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92BMW///M3 View Post
I have the Schroth Quick fit pro and stock seats but was looking into race seats… my torso is way too tall for the shoulder straps on the pole positions. Im not at the point of a cage, so my question is am I better off with the Quick fit pro on stock seats or the ABE with the 3 point belt? Tempted to try the ABE but part of me knows it’s a half solution.
You already know the answer since you said your torso is too tall for the shoulder straps on PP.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0