BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #89
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Very interested in doing this! Has anyone tried this with Android Auto?
I tried using this with a Galaxy S9. It doesn't work.
      04-27-2019, 11:02 PM   #90
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i M Sport

JoyeAuto confirmed receipt of my return, and says they'll send out replacement "soon"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #91
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmcclelland View Post
JoyeAuto confirmed receipt of my return, and says they'll send out replacement "soon"
Good luck. Hopefully it all works out.

I was able to work around fixing my inaccurate GPS position issue with multiple GPS apps installed. I reset my network and location settings on my iphone. Then on Waze (my main GPS app), I set the location data setting to "Always" instead of "Only when using app". Everything is working great after that.
      04-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #92
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Quote:
Good luck. Hopefully it all works out.

I was able to work around fixing my inaccurate GPS position issue with multiple GPS apps installed. I reset my network and location settings on my iphone. Then on Waze (my main GPS app), I set the location data setting to "Always" instead of "Only when using app". Everything is working great after that.
That's awesome to hear! I hope I get the replacement soon. Hoping they send the new hardware and not the old.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #93
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: JoyeAuto has gone silent, as I suspected, and I've reached back out to AliExpress. They're now saying they will just refund my original purchase price. 3-5 days. We shall see. Pretty bummed because I liked having ACP. 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #94
Justin666
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

my experience with JoyeAuto has been pretty great, their installation guy on whatsapp has been helpful with the minimal amount of help i’ve needed..

I ordered a second carplay adapter from them, this one being the wireless model for NBT (previous was wired model for CIC, but i’ve since done an NBT retrofit)

I managed to get everything wired up and a quick test gives me results, however there is just so much cabling and so on that i’ve not had the time to rip apart my dash to install it.

build quality on the new one seems quite a bit better, all metal, clearly labeled etc.. hopefully i’ll have it installed tonight or at the latest this weekend.. I tried to get video of the installation but i really just wanted to get it installed.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #95
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Any word of a wireless carplay solution for CIC? I'm waiting for wireless to pull the trigger..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #96
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Any word of a wireless carplay solution for CIC? I'm waiting for wireless to pull the trigger..
When I spoke with them a few weeks ago they said there will not be a wireless solution for CIC.
      05-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #97
Justin666
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
When I spoke with them a few weeks ago they said there will not be a wireless solution for CIC.
I am speaking to JoyeAuto as i type this, and was just told "We will have Wireless Carplay work with CIC"
Appreciate 1
brettcp341.00
      05-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #98
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin666 View Post
I am speaking to JoyeAuto as i type this, and was just told "We will have Wireless Carplay work with CIC"
Get an ETA!
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
brettcp341.00
      05-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #99
Justin666
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
it's coming in a couple weeks.. and if you're interested let me know and i can probably get a better price.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #100
Justin666
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Get an ETA!
he said "Yes,need half a month"

and to be clear, i didn't /ask/ if they would have wireless for CIC, he volunteered that information while we were discussing other things, so i have no reason to not believe him.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #101
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
it's coming in a couple weeks.. and if you're interested let me know and i can probably get a better price.
I'm definitely interested.. but would like more details - does it require its own BT connection to the phone, or does it use the CIC's BT connection? Curious to know more details about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:04 PM   #102
Justin666
Rep

I installed my wireless carplay adapter for my NBT (which was also a retrofit, so i wasn't even completely sure it would work installing an adapter into an adapter)

worked perfectly. audio quality is perfect, sounds no different than listening to the NBT headunit.. better than bluetooth i think.

installation was a bit complicated because of the fact that i already had extra hardware in the dash (quadlock connector for NBT retrofit, NBT emulator, etc.) but we managed to get all the cabling tucked in to the side, and we relocated the NBT emulator as well as installed the carplay adapter up under the glovebox.

overall installation isn't really any more difficult than replacing a car stereo. the instructions are minimal, but clear enough.

this unit itself has a lot of options that you can configure, change the name of the bluetooth pairing, an EQ that works, other audio settings, carplay and android settings (i won't test android because i don't use android) really really simple and straight forward.

happy to answer questions and/or test some things out for people.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2019, 07:20 AM   #103
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
he said "Yes,need half a month"

and to be clear, i didn't /ask/ if they would have wireless for CIC, he volunteered that information while we were discussing other things, so i have no reason to not believe him.
I'm skeptical because when I spoke with them in November I was told the same thing, it was coming "within a few weeks". They even quoted a price of $500 IIRC. Then when I talked to them again recently they said they would not be releasing wireless carplay for CIC at all. I think it just depends on who you talk to. If they do offer it, I will almost certainly be ordering one.
      05-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #104
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Justin666 Does the wireless version still require the AUX connection for sound output?

If it does, I assume the bluetooth connection streams audio to the carplay box and then the carplay box outputs it to the AUX in our car.

BTW: Your steering wheel is awesome! where you get it?
      05-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #105
Fooksdaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 SSII

Could you test Android capability? It seems to be hit or miss in the product description.

Quote:
I installed my wireless carplay adapter for my NBT (which was also a retrofit, so i wasn't even completely sure it would work installing an adapter into an adapter)

worked perfectly. audio quality is perfect, sounds no different than listening to the NBT headunit.. better than bluetooth i think.

installation was a bit complicated because of the fact that i already had extra hardware in the dash (quadlock connector for NBT retrofit, NBT emulator, etc.) but we managed to get all the cabling tucked in to the side, and we relocated the NBT emulator as well as installed the carplay adapter up under the glovebox.

overall installation isn't really any more difficult than replacing a car stereo. the instructions are minimal, but clear enough.

this unit itself has a lot of options that you can configure, change the name of the bluetooth pairing, an EQ that works, other audio settings, carplay and android settings (i won't test android because i don't use android) really really simple and straight forward.

happy to answer questions and/or test some things out for people.
E36 ///M3 Arctic Silver
E46 ///M3 Carbon Schwartz
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #106
Justin666
Rep

you do use aux, but the aux connection is behind the headunit not running through the console. you connect from the media box harness to the quad lock connector that goes to the car, and it uses that.

carplay does not use bluetooth, bluetooth data transfer speeds aren’t sufficient. it uses bluetooth only to pair to the phone, after which it hands off to the wifi network which does all the streaming. audio streams over wifi which then goes to the internal aux... it’s like using AirPlay to play music from your phone to your stereo at home.

I find the quality to be much much better than bluetooth, and better than the previous version i used (CIC) via cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Justin666 Does the wireless version still require the AUX connection for sound output?

If it does, I assume the bluetooth connection streams audio to the carplay box and then the carplay box outputs it to the AUX in our car.

BTW: Your steering wheel is awesome! where you get it?
oh, and the streering wheel — that is a Nelson Racing Wheel. He’s an incredibly talented young guy in Colorado that builds these all by hand. you can customize whatever options etc. you want.. he’s VERY busy, but if you can get one it’s worth the wait. mine took about 3 months iirc.

prices are too low for what you get imo, he should be charging twice what he does.

Last edited by Justin666; 05-20-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #107
Justin666
Rep

it supports it (via cable only, no wireless) and i didn’t connect the usb cable.. If i end up going back in there to do anything (need to install backup camera still) i will give that a try, but it’ll be a while at best. sorry, it’s mounted up behind my glovebox and the cables are short enough that i can’t just pop it down easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooksdaddy View Post
Could you test Android capability? It seems to be hit or miss in the product description.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #108
Justin666
Rep

interesting. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t, it would not be a technical limitation, im sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
I'm skeptical because when I spoke with them in November I was told the same thing, it was coming "within a few weeks". They even quoted a price of $500 IIRC. Then when I talked to them again recently they said they would not be releasing wireless carplay for CIC at all. I think it just depends on who you talk to. If they do offer it, I will almost certainly be ordering one.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #109
dkmcclelland
Private
United_States
Rep

Glad you guys are having good luck with JoyeAuto, but I refuse to give them any more of my money. They are the absolute worst company that I have ever had to deal with.

After 2 months they have finally shipped the replacement product for the defective item I have been trying to get swapped out/returned since November of 2018.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #110
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Glad you guys are having good luck with JoyeAuto, but I refuse to give them any more of my money. They are the absolute worst company that I have ever had to deal with.

After 2 months they have finally shipped the replacement product for the defective item I have been trying to get swapped out/returned since November of 2018.
Oh so there's still some hope you'll get the newer CIC unit? Thought this would go dark since aliexpress refund you. Really crappy that it takes this long though.