BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #23
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eja144 View Post
I usually drive in full comfort mode. Anything more aggressive feels like the car is gonna shake into pieces on most of Long Island's shitty back roads and chewed up parkway ramps.

Programmed my M button to most aggressive settings for when I find myself on smooth, open pavement.
Bit of track here. My 1st ever visit to the USA was to Long Island. It's where my gf was from.
She hated the place but I LOVED it. Lol. The huge roads. Huge houses. Etc. Compared to the UK roads and houses it was heavenly.

We'd drive to NYC everyday for shopping and sight seeing.
Also was the first time in my 36 year life that I drove on the WRONG side of the road sitting in the WRONG side of the car. Lol.

I really wanted to see the Amityville house but she wouldn't take me. 😢
Appreciate 1
Eja144303.00
      07-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashm3_uk View Post
Bit of track here. My 1st ever visit to the USA was to Long Island. It's where my gf was from.
She hated the place but I LOVED it. Lol. The huge roads. Huge houses. Etc. Compared to the UK roads and houses it was heavenly.

Also was the first time in my 36 year life that I drove on the WRONG side of the road sitting in the WRONG side of the car. Lol.

gonna get some spooks on yourself that's why she didn't take you
Ashm3_uk138.50
      07-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #26
91foxbody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Am I the only guy that barely notices a difference between Comfort, Normal, and Sport modes on the EDC?

Is there any easy way to check if it's working correctly? The car seems to drive normally.
I notice virtually no difference, but I grew up driving cars with harsh suspension so the M3 always seems pillow-soft to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #27
Eja144
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I usually drive in full comfort mode. Anything more aggressive feels like the car is gonna shake into pieces on most of Long Island's shitty back roads and chewed up parkway ramps.

Programmed my M button to most aggressive settings for when I find myself on smooth, open pavement.

As a native New Yorker, it's compulsory to complain about EVERYTHING on Long Island, from the people to the roads to the sports teams. But deep down, we all really love the place.

In recent years, the overpopulation problem seems to be worsening. I lived in western Pennsylvania for almost a decade (talk about big, open roads) and upon returning to NY, I found there are very few times of day/night available for driving sans traffic, unless you want to travel way out East where the terrain opens up and gets a bit more rural.

Funny enough, I located and drove past the Amityville house many years ago. A bit disappointing because the signature "quarter-moon" attic windows had been removed and covered with vinyl siding, so it was difficult to identify the house. Still pretty cool though.

My wife and I visited the UK a few years ago. Rented a little 5MT turbo Citroen in London, drove up to Inverness Scotland making a few stops along the way, then back down the other side, stopping for a couple nights in Edinburgh. I absolutely loved all the narrow, winding country roads. It was such a blast tearing them up in that tiny hatchback. Made me feel like a WRC driver (much to my wife's terror)

Don't get me started on all the damn roundabouts though. They can go straight to hell!
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      07-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #28
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

I have made several trips to the U.K. and to Scotland in particular. I have done well over 3,000 miles zipping around the Highlands in a rental car on single track roads with blind corners, mogals and sheep in the road. Also did the NC500 run. An absolute blast! As to the roundabouts in the bigger cities, once you learn the etiquette they are great at keeping traffic moving and not as intimidating. Just have to medicate my wife so she isn't air braking and gasping. LOL...

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
Eja144303.00
      07-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #29
Eja144
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpc2u View Post
I have made several trips to the U.K. and to Scotland in particular. I have done well over 3,000 miles zipping around the Highlands in a rental car on single track roads with blind corners, mogals and sheep in the road. Also did the NC500 run. An absolute blast! As to the roundabouts in the bigger cities, once you learn the etiquette they are great at keeping traffic moving and not as intimidating. Just have to medicate my wife so she isn't air braking and gasping. LOL...
Yes, they did get less daunting as I got more comfortable with UK driving etiquette. But the first day was a handful - getting used to driving on the wrong side of road, shifting with the wrong hand, AND navigating roundabouts all without causing a wreck or getting myself arrested/beat up by angry Brits.
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      07-09-2019, 01:20 AM   #30
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91foxbody View Post
I notice virtually no difference, but I grew up driving cars with harsh suspension so the M3 always seems pillow-soft to me.
There "should" be a significant difference between the modes. Mine worked that way for the first 2 years but of some reason lost it to be minor differences. Did plenty to track the issue down but never succeeded.

Seems quite a few still works as should while quite a few doesn't.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 01:59 AM   #31
Ashm3_uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As a native New Yorker, it's compulsory to complain about EVERYTHING on Long Island, from the people to the roads to the sports teams. But deep down, we all really love the place.

In recent years, the overpopulation problem seems to be worsening. I lived in western Pennsylvania for almost a decade (talk about big, open roads) and upon returning to NY, I found there are very few times of day/night available for driving sans traffic, unless you want to travel way out East where the terrain opens up and gets a bit more rural.

Funny enough, I located and drove past the Amityville house many years ago. A bit disappointing because the signature "quarter-moon" attic windows had been removed and covered with vinyl siding, so it was difficult to identify the house. Still pretty cool though.

My wife and I visited the UK a few years ago. Rented a little 5MT turbo Citroen in London, drove up to Inverness Scotland making a few stops along the way, then back down the other side, stopping for a couple nights in Edinburgh. I absolutely loved all the narrow, winding country roads. It was such a blast tearing them up in that tiny hatchback. Made me feel like a WRC driver (much to my wife's terror)

Don't get me started on all the damn roundabouts though. They can go straight to hell!
Roundabouts are a real pain in the ass! Lol.
As long as you remember 'traffic from the right has eight of way' you're ok.

However, the best bit is when cars turn up to their respective junctions at the same time! Now everyone just sits there, waiting for the car on the right to move. Lol. Who has right of way now? Simple... whoever moves first.

On motorbikes roundabouts are awesome as the view from a motorbike is further... hence start slowing down from a distance and then when all clear, FLOOR it. 😁
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #32
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktavate View Post
You can actually set it to be on by default in the idrive, took me a long time to find that out.
LOL, I had no Idea this could be done. haha.

I have a 6MT and i shift sooooo much smoother with the "power" set to "sport"

I wonder why you cannot default the servotronic this way as well? I love love the weighted steering in city driving for some reason.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:09 AM   #33
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post

I wonder why you cannot default the servotronic this way as well? I love love the weighted steering in city driving for some reason.

-Mark
Alpine tune provides a tune that will dramatically change the steering if you choose that option. I love it.
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
      07-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #34
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

+1, have it, love it.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #35
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Quote:

-Mark
Alpine tune provides a tune that will dramatically change the steering if you choose that option. I love it.
I appreciate it. The car has a tune on it from Active Autowerkes. Not sure I'd want to change it up but definitely plan to check it out.

Wonder if one could code the steering? Cording and tuning are all foreign to me

-Mark
Appreciate 1
Dpc2u11503.00
      07-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #36
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Quote:

-Mark
I appreciate it. The car has a tune on it from Active Autowerkes. Not sure I'd want to change it up but definitely plan to check it out.

Wonder if one could code the steering? Cording and tuning are all foreign to me

-Mark
Not saying you should change out your tune, but the beauty of using Alex@alpine is that you get unlimited tune maps for life, max of 2 per week. if you want any changes or additions done, you just request another tune file. You can then switch between them at will.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #37
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

a few things i already knew and some from what i recently figured out...its a big day for me.

I also have a 6MT so i do not have shift lights option or any presets from the transmission side of things like the DCT folks do.

just to get us all on the same page.......

"M" button is configurable through iDrive and will only activate your configured settings when you press the "M" button.

"M" button / M drive configurations.
1. EDC
a. comfort
b. normal
c. sport
d. unchanged
2. DSC
a. on
b. off
c. M Dynamic Mode
d. unchanged
3. Power
a. normal
b. sport
c. sport plus
d. unchanged
4. Servotronic
a. normal
b. sport

"M Key" / defaults / unchanged / start up settings. these are the settings that your car will always run on unless you smash the "M" button.
1. EDC
a. comfort
b. normal
c. sport
d. unchanged
2. Power
a. Normal
b. Sport

Although still pretty nice to have control over the preset defaults you clearly don't have as much control or options as you do with the "M" button. you loose "sport plus" under the power setting and cannot preset DSC or Servotronic. DSC will remain on until you manually change it and Servotronic will stay in normal.

-Mark
Appreciate 1
Ashm3_uk138.50
      07-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #38
E4superfly
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktavate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Thinking of "hard wiring" it so no need to push button? Can't see any issues with constant M mode other than wearing the dash light out...
You can actually set it to be on by default in the idrive, took me a long time to find that out.

could you kindly share. it's annoying trying to drift the rear out and having the tc kick in only to realise I forgot to press the button.
      07-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #39
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E4superfly View Post
could you kindly share. it's annoying trying to drift the rear out and having the tc kick in only to realise I forgot to press the button.
I have a 2011 E93 6MT and you cannot preset/default the traction control it can only be accomplished through the M button or manually pressing the DSC.

The only preset/defaults you can set are Power and EDC

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #40
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Am I the only guy that barely notices a difference between Comfort, Normal, and Sport modes on the EDC?

Is there any easy way to check if it's working correctly? The car seems to drive normally.
Funny you say that.. I had a 2009/dct and i barely noticed any difference.. I traded it for a 2013/6mt/competition and notice a huge difference in acceleration and stiffness on sport when the //M button is pressed
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #41
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Quote:

-Mark
Agreed, seems arbitrary and is annoying but at least you can keep throttle the same at all times.

Quote:
I may have misspoken, I guess you can't have M-Mode on by default but you can set the power button to be on by default. Go to the main Menu>Settings>M Drive, move the knob to the right to open options and change 'M Key' setting from normal to sport. The power button will then be lit/active by default whenever you start the car. Not full M-Mode but better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #42
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:

I don't drive in the pavement let alone in m mode set to full beans aggressive shifts. Though the blips will help disperse the pedestrians I guess
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 01:20 AM   #43
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Sorry mate I have no solution just curious on what you wanted to achieve. M button works fine for me to regulate my daily little drifts, pushing it has become a habbit...
Appreciate 0