BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Keyfob not being detected after opening/closing door when car is running

** RESOLVED, SEE POST #11 **

2012 E93 M3. Latest i-step version.

I get in the car with the key in my pocket, somewhere on the center console, etc and the car always starts up 100% of the time.

Let's say I'm coming home and stop at the mailbox.. I put the car in neutral, pull the e-brake up (engine is still running), open the door to get the mail, then when I get back in and close the door, I get the "key not detected, engine cannot start" message. I tap OK to dismiss the message, it goes away and all is well. Edit: I am not removing the key from the car - simply opening/closing the door triggers the alert here.

Its easily reproducible, and occurs with either the driver door or passenger door. I understand that once the door is closed, the car is going to do another "check" to be sure you have your key - this makes sense, but what could be causing this check to initially fail (then immediately succeed as the message disappears once I tap OK to dismiss it, and doesn't come back)?

Tried both keys, replaced batteries in each, left the key in the key-slot for a while, can't seem to figure this one out. Minor annoyance but literally the only issue I have with the car.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by brettcp; 09-06-2019 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anybody? Somebody must have come across this at one point....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:15 PM   #3
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
2012 E93 M3. Latest i-step version.

I get in the car with the key in my pocket, somewhere on the center console, etc and the car always starts up 100% of the time.

Let's say I'm coming home and stop at the mailbox.. I put the car in neutral, pull the e-brake up (engine is still running), open the door to get the mail, then when I get back in and close the door, I get the "key not detected, engine cannot start" message. I tap OK to dismiss the message, it goes away and all is well.

Its easily reproducible, and occurs with either the driver door or passenger door. I understand that once the door is closed, the car is going to do another "check" to be sure you have your key - this makes sense, but what could be causing this check to initially fail (then immediately succeed as the message disappears once I tap OK to dismiss it, and doesn't come back)?

Tried both keys, replaced batteries in each, left the key in the key-slot for a while, can't seem to figure this one out. Minor annoyance but literally the only issue I have with the car.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
If I read your post right, you leave the car running, get out of the car, and walk away with the key. The car has sensors in which it detects the location of the key and whether it's in the car or not. It's supposed to keep the car from being driven away without the key being in the car. It can be an annoyance, but it's there to keep your ride from disappearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

sounds normal to me. if comfort access works normally and no other issues, its just a warning letting u know key not detected at one point since the engine is already running.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
If I read your post right, you leave the car running, get out of the car, and walk away with the key. The car has sensors in which it detects the location of the key and whether it's in the car or not. It's supposed to keep the car from being driven away without the key being in the car. It can be an annoyance, but it's there to keep your ride from disappearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
sounds normal to me. if comfort access works normally and no other issues, its just a warning letting u know key not detected at one point since the engine is already running.
Sorry I wasn't clear - I'm not removing the key from the car., or moving the key at all. Simply opening up the door, then closing it (with the key still in the car) triggers this alert.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear - I'm not removing the key from the car., or moving the key at all. Simply opening up the door, then closing it (with the key still in the car) triggers this alert.
Have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob? It maybe getting weak and not transmitting the signal to the car. Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried replacing the battery in the key fob? It maybe getting weak and not transmitting the signal to the car. Just a thought...
Yep, put new batteries in both keyfobs, same result.. so strange.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I had the same problem. new batteries solved it for me. I gave up on the cheap batteries and am using Energizers now.
      06-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
I had the same problem. new batteries solved it for me. I gave up on the cheap batteries and am using Energizers now.
I wish it were that easy in my case, replaced the batteries with fresh energizers, in both keys.. same issue.. maybe a bad batch of batteries? ...but the keyfob can lock/unlock the car from so far away.. so weird. I'll try a fresh set of duracells maybe.

Last edited by brettcp; 06-14-2019 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Happens all the time. Comfort Access is finicky like that.

It's a non-issue.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is resolved. Apparently my dash-cam, which I tapped into the rear view mirror for power, was drawing too much power and causing issues with the antenna for the keyfob, causing this issue to occur. I re-wired the dash-cam to a different circuit and all is well.

I hope this helps somebody else!
Appreciate 1
yardbro61.00
      10-20-2023, 05:14 AM   #12
kensou
Rep
Drives: bmw x6 m

Thanks for sharing.

I have exactly the same issue, "key not detected blablabla" each time i close the door (driver or passenger), when the car is running, but i don't have any dash cam wired into any circuit.

Problem of the main car battery according to you ?

i get everytime the error code in ISTA :

S0159: "No communication possible with comfort access"

One remark : i have the oem camera KAFAS (for speed limit recognition capability) integrated behind the windshield

Last edited by kensou; 10-20-2023 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #13
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensou View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I have exactly the same issue, "key not detected blablabla" each time i close the door (driver or passenger), when the car is running, but i don't have any dash cam wired into any circuit.

Problem of the main car battery according to you ?

i get everytime the error code in ISTA :

S0159: "No communication possible with comfort access"

One remark : i have the oem camera KAFAS (for speed limit recognition capability) integrated behind the windshield
Your problem sounds like a separate issue...just with the same symptom.
Did you verify your CA module is reporting on the network?

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 04:00 PM   #14
kensou
Rep

I don’t know what to check on the CA

Just ÇA fuses I could check
But everything is working fine : door handles, keyless start ,
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 04:06 PM   #15
kensou
Rep

Is it possible that a unregistered battery could make that ? I did not replace the battery but may be the previous owner did it but without registering it in ISTA ?…
Appreciate 0