BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

09-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #23
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmergixxer View Post
Both options will be the right choice, it is just personal preference. We drive our M3 and R8 all year long including winter with no problems. Good winter tires are a must. The M3 wont show any rust and I take mine through the car wash 4 times a week in the winter to remove any salt and it still looks amazing underneath although the car is over 10 years old.
^This

I've driven all my bimmers through winters and never had an issue with rust. Touchless wash once a week.

It depends on your goal. These cars aren't going to appreciate in value. At the same time if you plan on keeping it for 7-10 years I can understand the desire to keep the miles low as well.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #24
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
These cars aren't going to appreciate in value.
Have you seen some of the used M3s for sale in Canada here and on Autotrader? People are nuts thinking they can get $40k+ for a 8 year old M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #25
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
These cars aren't going to appreciate in value.
Have you seen some of the used M3s for sale in Canada here and on Autotrader? People are nuts thinking they can get $40k+ for a 8 year old M3.
That's also my point. After the first few years and initial depreciation, driving it less or more for the most part isn't going to affect the value as much.

Then you have to factor making payments on a car while it sits along with the running costs of the "winter beater." All this has to make sense.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #26
George///m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxLit View Post
SO, considering driving my M3 through the winter vs buying a cheap manual pickup trick.

I think I could pick up decent used winter rims and tires for ~$1500. The tires may have some wear, but I could replace them in a couple years.

I would estimate $3k for a beater truck. $1500 to buy, 800 to repair to meet Ontario's safety requirements, and 700 for repairs through the winter. I expect I could sell at the end of the season for $1500 (maybe a little more if I do it right).

Pros of M3: I need to drive 10-15 minutes to a go station and back every day to get to work. That would be much more enjoyable in the M3 than in a crappy pickup. I also have a warranty so if anything goes wrong this winter or next I shouldn't have to pay much for repairs. I go for drives all the time and find it to be a great stress-reliever. I would like to be able to do that in the winter when the roads are clear and dry. I don't really want to just park this awesome car for six months of the year. Also, it was previously winter driven (or at least had winter tires put on, per service records), so it's not like I can say that the car has never seen winter if I wanted to sell it.

Pros of Truck: We are also moving into a new house, and so being able to haul random crap around and buy furniture etc from Kijiji would be useful for at least the next few months. That would probably save me renting vans from Uhaul 4 or 5 times. Also, I've always wanted to learn to drive manual and so this pickup would facilitate that.

The third option is to do both. Try to get a good deal on m3 wheels, try to get an outstanding deal on a used pickup, and hopefully the pickup will cost nothing for the season when I sell it. Only downside of this is that I'll be out a total of 3-4k for six months before I get back 1.5k for the beater.

I would welcome any thoughts or experience you may have with winter driving and getting beaters.
I've got a few winter tire and wheel options. If anyone is interested send a PM. They are posted in the Canada forum
Appreciate 0