BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

01-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe Red

iPhone and the M3

I got the iPhone fully integrated with the M3, and I must say WOW! All I do is plug it in the center console, I am not sure if you don't have the premium package, using the USB port and forget it. All controls of the iPhone are controlled by the M3. I just dial to a name in the contact list and press call, the iPod feature is fully functional including the artwork of the song on the screen.

If you don't have an iPhone, get one, you won't regret it. Also, since I write iPhone apps(I have 25), you might as well by some of my apps....

BMWM3RED
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Are you coming to any of the Houston BMW CCA events coming up? Coffee meet in a week, or the autox in 2 weeks? I'd love to see the connected drive stuff in action.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Is there a way to get voice activation to work with the iPhone contacts?
Can I say, "call xxx mobile"
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
folgrz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E46 ZCP

What are some of your apps? Would love to check them out! Also, one of the main reasons I opened up a new line just to get the iPhone 4s is so i can integrate it into the BMW lmao
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
CallMeWonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3RED View Post
I got the iPhone fully integrated with the M3, and I must say WOW! All I do is plug it in the center console, I am not sure if you don't have the premium package, using the USB port and forget it. All controls of the iPhone are controlled by the M3. I just dial to a name in the contact list and press call, the iPod feature is fully functional including the artwork of the song on the screen.

If you don't have an iPhone, get one, you won't regret it. Also, since I write iPhone apps(I have 25), you might as well by some of my apps....

BMWM3RED
Show us some of your apps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep

My apps

here is my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/lagniappeapps/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep

i assume

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
since the M3 has voice activation i assume it would work. i will try it....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep

i did

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Are you coming to any of the Houston BMW CCA events coming up? Coffee meet in a week, or the autox in 2 weeks? I'd love to see the connected drive stuff in action.
i am going to join. i plan to come to the coffee up. but, not the annual dinner. a friend of mine at work is a member
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

I ordered mine with the option for the iPhone however I have been waiting for T-Mobile to release the iPhone and then I will jump on it. Thanks for sharing OP.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The iPhone integration on BMW's is good but not great. I just took my car in for service and they gave me a 2012 C300 4Matic. That thing has the sickest integration with the iPhone, and the best part is that you can play music via Bluetooth. As far as I know, you need the iPhone plugged in to the BMW adapter to play music.

On the Merc, you can play music with your phone in your pocket. Many less expensive vehicles/brands also have this feature. You can do this with Ford SYNC, Buick Intellilink (great name... ha), and others.

Despite how cool I think it is, here is an article giving 5 reasons why it isn't:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-a-passing-fad

Most notably being lower audio quality... which I don't notice.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

The iPhone integration in my 11 M3 is pretty good. As far as the audio quality, If you rip your cd's using lossless then transfer them in lossless to your iPod and set bass boost on the ipod you can actually get a much deeper and cleaner sound with the premium audio system. Sounds better than the original cd.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

Bluetooth audio streaming is supported on the M3, or at least on my 2011 one. I can play music via bluetooth on my iphone 4. You just have to enable bluetooth for audio as well as phone calls. Should work with any phone w/bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_M3 View Post
Bluetooth audio streaming is supported on the M3, or at least on my 2011 one. I can play music via bluetooth on my iphone 4. You just have to enable bluetooth for audio as well as phone calls. Should work with any phone w/bluetooth.
Huh... I will have to check it out. However I have mine setup, it only works for phone calls. For audio, I have to plug it in. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Yes, there is. Personally, I do not have the adapder for the center console, but I link it through bluetooth and it works great (it does everything I need).
Anyways.... You press voice activation, then say the name of the person. It will ask you if you want to call [name], you say yes, and... It's something like that, haven't done it in a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #15
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

BMWM3RED
I have read that you need to remove the cover from your phone to attach it ? True ? That is a deal breaker for me.
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

I'm actually getting an iphone today! My brother works at Apple and I've been the only holdout in the whole family! Looking forward to hooking it up and see how it works!

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

BMWM3RED
I do all this with the iPhone not plugged in ... my iPod has the permanent plug in duty. I don't need any of my iPhone applications when I drive.

Speaking of iPhone applications do you have the latest iPhone Weather Network Apps? it is great it follows you around wherever you are and has some great new features ... check it out ===>CLICK

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:

BMWM3RED
On the 2012 model can you now read messages from the iPhone? How does BMW office work with your phone?...............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Since early 2008 in the M3...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
On the 2012 model can you now read messages from the iPhone? How does BMW office work with your phone?...............Phil
It does not currently.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post
The iPhone integration on BMW's is good but not great. I just took my car in for service and they gave me a 2012 C300 4Matic. That thing has the sickest integration with the iPhone, and the best part is that you can play music via Bluetooth. As far as I know, you need the iPhone plugged in to the BMW adapter to play music.

On the Merc, you can play music with your phone in your pocket. Many less expensive vehicles/brands also have this feature. You can do this with Ford SYNC, Buick Intellilink (great name... ha), and others.

Despite how cool I think it is, here is an article giving 5 reasons why it isn't:

There is Bluetooth Audio available in the M3 with iDrive since production 09/10-on.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
BMWM3RED
Private
Rep

i see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Silver View Post

i see where the M3 recognizes the iPhone as bluetooth using phone and music, but it wont seem to hookup for music. i need to get in touch with BMW, i must not be holding my mouth right

M3Red
Appreciate 0