BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

02-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT

Front Wheel Noise Diagnosis

Need some help diagnosing this noise. It's the faint "clicking" noise that can be heard. It's once per wheel revolution, happens with the wheel on, wheel off, and pads removed. Doesn't happen with rotor off, just spinning the hub.

More info, not sure if related. When braking, and only when braking, there's a once per revolution ticking noise coming from this wheel (passenger front)

Really stumped on what this could be. Wheel bearing seems fine, doesn't get noisy when I load that side of the car or move the wheel around with the car jacked up.

PFC Z54 brake kit with V3 rotors for reference

Last edited by WhiteM3EMC; 03-11-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
That's a strange sound. I had a cyclical scratching sound from the rear Z45 kit, that got worse during turns. Turned out the rotor was rubbing on the tabs of the ebrake shoe support ring, so I just bent those back a bit.

Your sound doesn't really sound like the rotor is rubbing. But it wouldn't hurt to take the rotor off and look around. Maybe check how freely the rotor is floating on the hub as well.
      03-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
WhiteM3EMC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 White M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
That's a strange sound. I had a cyclical scratching sound from the rear Z45 kit, that got worse during turns. Turned out the rotor was rubbing on the tabs of the ebrake shoe support ring, so I just bent those back a bit.

Your sound doesn't really sound like the rotor is rubbing. But it wouldn't hurt to take the rotor off and look around. Maybe check how freely the rotor is floating on the hub as well.
I replaced the front hubs/wheel bearings as a precautionary measure, but that didn't make the noise go away.

The best that I can figure is that its due to the 2 piece rotor. I pulled the rotor and theres a tiny bit of play between the rotor and the rotor hat.

If I remove the rotor and spin just the hub, there isn't any noise. So, I'm fairly confident that its due to the rotor having a bit of play due to the 2 piece design.
Appreciate 0