BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

10-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwon66 View Post
Honestly, $50 donation is little too much for this little event.

I would rather spend $30 on gas and $20 on donation.

Not being cheap or an a-hole.. just my .02 cents.
It's like spending almost $20 on the donation because you get a chunk of money back from the government when you do your taxes. Unless you never donate to charity, in which case it wont be enough to qualify as a deduction.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #24
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1ustad View Post
Never had a chance to join a run before. New to the VA area. The all-car event, does that expand outside of the Euro realm?
It's mainly only euros but I make exceptions for the GTR or IS-F. What do you have in mind?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #25
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
It's mainly only euros but I make exceptions for the GTR or IS-F. What do you have in mind?
I like the fact that some of these runs are for charity and I understand that the runs are marketed to the BMW community but you cannot be serious if I give my $50 and show up in an Accord that I would not be allowed to participate. Although I would like to go on these, unfortunately the dates never work, I don't think I would now with that remark. To me I think that looks bad. Have a good time and I will donate another way.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #26
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
i see nothing wrong with organizing a group of only euro sports cars and/or exotics. That's the point. These runs have been going on for just about a year now, and this is a first anyone has taken issue with donations to charity.

All the OP is trying to do is bring together local BMW/Euro/exotic car enthusiasts and at the same time raise awareness for various charities and donate funds to them. This is not unheard of. Additionally, these runs he organizes have been a great success, not only charity wise, but has brought together a community where people have common interest through meet/greets/drives that otherwise would have never met.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 10-11-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #27
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Precisely. There's also the matter of safety and responsibility. If a honda or mustang(pre-2009) came along I fear they would try to keep up which would create an extremely unsafe environment. No one wants to be rear ended by a car that cant stop within the same distance.

These events don't cater to every driver and they're not intended to. They're for a focused group of Euro enthusiasts who want to enjoy the best fast back/mountain roads the area has to offer. That said, if someone did register and showed up in an inadequate vehicle I would still make every effort to show them what the route would be and where we will stop - I would just strongly advise that they not try to keep pace, for their safety and those around them.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
azadian2b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

1) DarkstarZero
2) mdyaman
3) Chest Rockwell
4) mihink
5) Bubblehead
6) Shieldze
7) Cptn Mo 703
8) elm3-maybe
9) Checkmate
10) Bills742
11) crazycarl16
12) azadian2b

Thank you Darkstar for organizing as I'm sure it's going to be a great event and good money will be raised for charity.

With regards to the other comments, I have no issues with the meet being BMW only, just that exceptions are made for other makes, but not all other makes. Being a BMW owner/enthusiast is tight knit enough to warrant exclusivity. However making exceptions at all makes it too subjective. Then lip service is paid to safety being the issue, but honestly there are myriad cars that are not Euro but could keep up safely. Making exceptions for GT-R's and IS-F's imply that those cars are superior to other performance enthusiasts' cars and at the end of the day that's the only thing in common: they are car enthusiasts. I think a better policy would be either BMW/Euro only or open to performance cars. I can see where people could be miffed. No one is joining for the route itself, they're joining for the community and the group.

Also, I have zero issue with the donation amount as I think it's a great idea to raise money for a great charity and it is wonderful that you're organizing the event. That said, a lot of people cant expect a marginal cent back on tax day because they take standard deduction. Last year standard deduction was 5700 and I doubt I'm going to get to that number this year. I hardly call sums amounting to less than 5700 "never donating to charity."
Thank you again for organizing!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #29
Sterrico
New VW CEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

A few quick questions:

I will probably just be picking up my car a few weeks before. I obviously will not be in the front group. Thoughts on being in the back group with a new E90 during break in?

Also approx how many miles will the actual drive cover?
2011.5 SG E90 - Loved her but totaled her.
2006 Z4M - Short but sweet stint
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #30
crazycarl16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M // 08 X5 4.8i // 03 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterrico View Post
A few quick questions:

I will probably just be picking up my car a few weeks before. I obviously will not be in the front group. Thoughts on being in the back group with a new E90 during break in?

Also approx how many miles will the actual drive cover?
A few weeks is more than enough time to break in your car...you won't want to stop driving it. Take it in for the break-in service at 1200 miles and you'll be good to go. We'll be driving at high rpm's most of the time, so you won't want to risk going over the 5500 break-in limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
1) DarkstarZero
2) mdyaman
3) Chest Rockwell
4) mihink
5) Bubblehead
6) Shieldze
7) Cptn Mo 703
8) elm3-maybe
9) Checkmate
10) Bills742
11) crazycarl16
12) azadian2b

Thank you Darkstar for organizing as I'm sure it's going to be a great event and good money will be raised for charity.

With regards to the other comments, I have no issues with the meet being BMW only, just that exceptions are made for other makes, but not all other makes. Being a BMW owner/enthusiast is tight knit enough to warrant exclusivity. However making exceptions at all makes it too subjective. Then lip service is paid to safety being the issue, but honestly there are myriad cars that are not Euro but could keep up safely. Making exceptions for GT-R's and IS-F's imply that those cars are superior to other performance enthusiasts' cars and at the end of the day that's the only thing in common: they are car enthusiasts. I think a better policy would be either BMW/Euro only or open to performance cars. I can see where people could be miffed. No one is joining for the route itself, they're joining for the community and the group.

Also, I have zero issue with the donation amount as I think it's a great idea to raise money for a great charity and it is wonderful that you're organizing the event. That said, a lot of people cant expect a marginal cent back on tax day because they take standard deduction. Last year standard deduction was 5700 and I doubt I'm going to get to that number this year. I hardly call sums amounting to less than 5700 "never donating to charity."
This is exactly what I was talking about. You shouldn't say yes to one car and not to another car because really you can have a terrible driver in an M3 and a great driver in a Miata, but your perception is tha Mazda is inferior. Instead just say you need a car that costs $$$$$. Sorry to keep the argument going but the the OP came across as being snobby and looks bad to other M owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #32
Sterrico
New VW CEO
United_States
Rep

Well I'm hoping to cross the break in period but the M3 isn't my daily driver and I take the bus to work so it will be hard. If it does come in on the 30th I know I'm taking a long weekend road trip to put as many miles On the car as I can!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #33
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
1) DarkstarZero
2) mdyaman
3) Chest Rockwell
4) mihink
5) Bubblehead
6) Shieldze
7) Cptn Mo 703
8) elm3-maybe
9) Checkmate
10) Bills742
11) crazycarl16
12) azadian2b

This is exactly what I was talking about. You shouldn't say yes to one car and not to another car because really you can have a terrible driver in an M3 and a great driver in a Miata, but your perception is tha Mazda is inferior. Instead just say you need a car that costs $$$$$. Sorry to keep the argument going but the the OP came across as being snobby and looks bad to other M owners.
Quote:
I know DarkstarZero and he is in no way snobby, or implies BMW/Euro drivers are superior, etc.

Lets get this thread back on topic and to the matter of who is planning on attending.

don't mean any offense dcgolfdr and azadian2b. Also thanks azadian2b for joining the drive!
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 10-12-2010 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #34
mihink
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X7, '17 640i Gran Coupe

^^ Agree with you. Darkstar is a very good guy, not a snob/etc. He takes a lot of time to come up with these events for us (BMW/Euro enthusiasts) and chooses fantastic roads perfect for our cars. Funny how when the event was 'free' everyone and their mom showed up including some crappy Volvos and Jettas which I unfortunately got stuck behind.
Suddenly a donation is needed and we have people resort to name calling and bitch*** about money/type of car/driving ability!!! Stop whining - if you don't want to go, then don't. No one has a gun to your head.

Let's get back on topic - can't wait for 11/13! Hope the weather holds up.
      10-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #35
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihink View Post
^^ Agree with you. Darkstar is a very good guy, not a snob/etc. He takes a lot of time to come up with these events for us (BMW/Euro enthusiasts) and chooses fantastic roads perfect for our cars. Funny how when the event was 'free' everyone and their mom showed up including some crappy Volvos and Jettas which I unfortunately got stuck behind.
Suddenly a donation is needed and we have people resort to name calling and bitch*** about money/type of car/driving ability!!! Stop whining - if you don't want to go, then don't. No one has a gun to your head.

+1
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #36
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
+1
+2
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #37
Sterrico
New VW CEO
United_States
Rep

I'm a newbie to these runs but +3. Rodney said it best " Cantt we all just get along?"

So back to questions. How many miles was the last one? Is it worth bringing my V1?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #38
raptor
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, Z4MC

1) DarkstarZero
2) mdyaman
3) Chest Rockwell
4) mihink
5) Bubblehead
6) Shieldze
7) Cptn Mo 703
8) elm3-maybe
9) Checkmate
10) Bills742
11) crazycarl16
12) azadian2b
13) raptor

Count me in guys. The last two were tons of fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #39
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MR E90 M3

Quote:
Well I'm hoping to cross the break in period but the M3 isn't my daily driver and I take the bus to work so it will be hard. If it does come in on the 30th I know I'm taking a long weekend road trip to put as many miles On the car as I can!
I'll break it in for you. Just drop it off at my office in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #40
Sterrico
New VW CEO
United_States
Rep

LOL. I'm sure you would but it's all mine! Gonna drive as much as I can in order to get the break in done. It's in the middle of the Atlantic as I type.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #41
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL. I'm sure you would but it's all mine! Gonna drive as much as I can in order to get the break in done. It's in the middle of the Atlantic as I type.
Enjoy it when it gets here. I'm planning on taking delivery of an E90 M the past week of February. I have a long wait. I just did not want to bring a new M in at the beginning of winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #42
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihink View Post

True that! I got stuck behind a volvo as well as a jetta and to be brutally honest-they slowed me down like crazy . It was not fun with those cars there despite being Euro boxes.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #43
hbcpa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It sounds like it is somewhat of a high speed run. What is the cop situation?

I won't slow you down with my 330CI but I will join (pending cop situation) in the spring after I pick up my M3
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #44
mihink
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X7, '17 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcpa View Post
It sounds like it is somewhat of a high speed run. What is the cop situation?

I won't slow you down with my 330CI but I will join (pending cop situation) in the spring after I pick up my M3
Really never had a problem with cops. Darkstar really does an excellent job in picking roads that don't see much traffic especially on a Saturday AM. Bring your 330i - you can get your feet wet before you get the M.