BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

05-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #45
echo5mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2ShootTheJ View Post
yea, went into limp mode twice this week :/ changing out a sensor before I replace the throttle actuator

hey man, shoot me a pm if you would like some help. I'm not mechanically inclined at all but I can hand you tools like a boss. Would love to know more so I can gain confidence to do smaller tasks on my own.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #46
HD F250
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Black M3

Quote:
yea, went into limp mode twice this week :/ changing out a sensor before I replace the throttle actuator

This is what we get when we keep doing highly modded builds....lmao. Hope it works out for ya man. Let me know when she is up and running and we will meet up. My truck didn't get done yesterday either and you will be shocked why. My Elite hot side pipe didn't fit......
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #47
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo5mike View Post
hey man, shoot me a pm if you would like some help. I'm not mechanically inclined at all but I can hand you tools like a boss. Would love to know more so I can gain confidence to do smaller tasks on my own.
Next time! There are some great DIY's on this forum though. Best way to learn is by doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD F250 View Post
This is what we get when we keep doing highly modded builds....lmao. Hope it works out for ya man. Let me know when she is up and running and we will meet up. My truck didn't get done yesterday either and you will be shocked why. My Elite hot side pipe didn't fit......
I don't understand how that company is still in business. After my $8,500 transmission showed up saran wrapped to a wooden palate with all the weight on the trans pan I'd had enough. That and when they shipped me my turbos after 5 months of waiting they didn't pack them well at all and the inlet on the one was completely crushed.

And don't even get me started on getting core charges back. lol.

But car is back together. Just gotta drive it and hope it doesn't go into limp mode again. If it does it'll probably need a throttle actuator which is ~$900, and they usually go in pairs. From what i've read they usually make it about 5yrs/50k miles on these cars and BMW hasn't made any revisions to the part.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #48
Kross
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic 335 View Post
I have a 625, I also have the pulley for a 585/595 kit if you ever need one.

Kross where in baltimore are you from?
Damn, I'm way late on this reply...but I'm just south of the city in Halethorpe. I work in Fells Point though.

You?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #49
Rich150001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Next time! There are some great DIY's on this forum though. Best way to learn is by doing

I don't understand how that company is still in business. After my $8,500 transmission showed up saran wrapped to a wooden palate with all the weight on the trans pan I'd had enough. That and when they shipped me my turbos after 5 months of waiting they didn't pack them well at all and the inlet on the one was completely crushed.

And don't even get me started on getting core charges back. lol.

But car is back together. Just gotta drive it and hope it doesn't go into limp mode again. If it does it'll probably need a throttle actuator which is ~$900, and they usually go in pairs. From what i've read they usually make it about 5yrs/50k miles on these cars and BMW hasn't made any revisions to the part.
There is also a DIY I've read for fixing the throttle actuators, if you have the time and patience to try it. Supposedly it doesn't always work.
      05-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #50
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich150001 View Post
There is also a DIY I've read for fixing the throttle actuators, if you have the time and patience to try it. Supposedly it doesn't always work.
yea the company that makes the new gears is in Norfolk. I think if you catch them early it can work. But after a while the worn gears cause the electronics to over work and burn up. Feel like i've cuaght mine early as I don't notice a lot of difference, but if it goes into limp mode again I may just go ahead and get a new TA to avoid any further headaches with it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #51
HD F250
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
yea the company that makes the new gears is in Norfolk. I think if you catch them early it can work. But after a while the worn gears cause the electronics to over work and burn up. Feel like i've cuaght mine early as I don't notice a lot of difference, but if it goes into limp mode again I may just go ahead and get a new TA to avoid any further headaches with it
Did you get that thing running yet? I need a ride in that thing! Hopefully the customer service from vendors here are better than Elite...lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #52
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yea it was good to go around lunch time on saturday. Drove back to Richmond on Monday and it hasn't moved since then. Probably take it out for a spin on sunday when it's dry.

If I don't make it up before, I'll be coming back up north towards the end of July
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #53
HD F250
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yea it was good to go around lunch time on saturday. Drove back to Richmond on Monday and it hasn't moved since then. Probably take it out for a spin on sunday when it's dry.

If I don't make it up before, I'll be coming back up north towards the end of July
Glad to hear you got her running and it wasn't too bad of a fix. Sounds good man, keep me posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #54
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Will do bud! They're starting us with patients full time this coming week, so gonna be a big transition for me.

And hopefully it's fixed. If I get a limp mode again then it'll be a throttle actuator which is around 900
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #55
HD F250
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Will do bud! They're starting us with patients full time this coming week, so gonna be a big transition for me.

And hopefully it's fixed. If I get a limp mode again then it'll be a throttle actuator which is around 900
You gotta start being patients at some point to make the big bucks. I am hoping it good and you dont have to bite the $900 actuator bullet. Cant they be repaired by putting new wheels in them?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #56
PGas32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Super Duty

Quote:
You gotta start being patients at some point to make the big bucks. I am hoping it good and you dont have to bite the $900 actuator bullet. Cant they be repaired by putting new wheels in them?
Only if the electronics haven't already been fried. I replaced the gears in both my actuators this morning, need to get them in the car later today. I was throwing a code for a bad actuator on Bank 1, so I swapped those gears out and I'll see if the electronics are bad - Bank 2 was OK but I swapped the gears out as preventive maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #57
HD F250
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGas32 View Post
Only if the electronics haven't already been fried. I replaced the gears in both my actuators this morning, need to get them in the car later today. I was throwing a code for a bad actuator on Bank 1, so I swapped those gears out and I'll see if the electronics are bad - Bank 2 was OK but I swapped the gears out as preventive maintenance.
Awesome, keep us posted. I am at 91k and going to being lots of preventative maintenance this winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #58
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Definitely keep us up to date! I think if it throws the code again I'll probably just replace the one in question with a new one. But may try new gears in the other bank.

Quote:
Awesome, keep us posted. I am at 91k and going to being lots of preventative maintenance this winter.
I'm right behind you, closing in on 84k. Don't forget these cars also have the Takata air bag recall. May wanna swing by the local BMW dealer and see what the wait is, but so far I don't think anyone has parts for a few months
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #59
HD F250
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm right behind you, closing in on 84k. Don't forget these cars also have the Takata air bag recall. May wanna swing by the local BMW dealer and see what the wait is, but so far I don't think anyone has parts for a few months
I will give them a call on the airbag, but I am sure they won't have the parts. Maybe we could do both cars as a weekend project at the shop. We have done that with HG jobs before.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #60
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

started my car for first time in about a week today, straight into limp mode with same 27a1 code. Guess i'll be replacing the TA on bank 1
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #61
HD F250
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
started my car for first time in about a week today, straight into limp mode with same 27a1 code. Guess i'll be replacing the TA on bank 1
for ya! Hopefully that will solve your issue. What scanner/coder do you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #62
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have the P3 gauge. If I have any codes it reads them off during start up.

http://www.p3cars.com/shop/bmw/bmw-3...p3-vent-gauge/
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #63
PGas32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Super Duty

Quote:
If you don't already have one on hand, I have a brand new actuator that I don't think I need and I can't return due to a crazy restocking fee. I replaced the gears in both actuators and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Let me know
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #64
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you don't already have one on hand, I have a brand new actuator that I don't think I need and I can't return due to a crazy restocking fee. I replaced the gears in both actuators and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Let me know
pm me what you're looking to get for it. I'm shopping prices.
Appreciate 0