BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Refinishing 220Ms

Hey everyone
A simple flat repair turned into a ruined tire and the shop "chipping"/"pitting" with their machine three dots on the lip of oem 220M wheels. How easy should it be to have someone fix the damage/resurface that area? Any suggestions in the San Diego area?

I'm hoping these are easy to fix and someone can recommend a good contact for doing so. The pits are right on the lip which seems to have a brushed finish, not sure if this can be nicely redone. I'll post pics later. Thanks for any info

Last edited by virjose; 05-13-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Veratyr
Dr. Drive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E92

Garage List
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by virjose View Post
Hey everyone
A simple flat repair turned into a ruined tire and the shop "chipping"/"pitting" with their machine three dots on the lip of oem 220M wheels. How easy should it be to have someone fix the damage/resurface that area? Any suggestions in the San Diego area?

I'm hoping these are easy to fix and someone can recommend a good contact for doing so. The pits are right on the lip which seems to have a brushed finish, not sure if this can be nicely redone. I'll post pics later. Thanks for any info
I had same issue. Because they have a machined finish they can't really be fixed like they were. At least I haven't found a way or someone to do it in last 6 months. I'm likely to have mine redone in a polished finish. I know bummer
2009 BMW M3 E92/space gray metallic/VT2-600 ESS Supercharger/extended silver novillo leather/performance carbon fiber interior trim/DCT/BMW performance spoiler/19" Volk TE37SL wheels in pressed graphite.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
nchan50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 JzB/FR e92 M3

FYI - it was a huge pain to find someone that could refinish this wheel in the NY-area. I called 9 different places and 7 said they won't touch this wheel because the finish would be too hard to replicate. I ended up bring it to a dealer who charged reasonable rates and did a great job fixing it (they have done many of these). I've heard this wheel possibly needs to have the clear stripped off then completely re-cleared to get the best finish which is part of the reason why many repair shops won't touch it. It is critical you bring it to someone that has prior experience with this specific wheel. Did not anticipate the difficulty in getting my minor rash repaired (it was only a half inch near the edge).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

thanks for the info^
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
docsdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchan50 View Post
FYI - it was a huge pain to find someone that could refinish this wheel in the NY-area. I called 9 different places and 7 said they won't touch this wheel because the finish would be too hard to replicate. I ended up bring it to a dealer who charged reasonable rates and did a great job fixing it (they have done many of these). I've heard this wheel possibly needs to have the clear stripped off then completely re-cleared to get the best finish which is part of the reason why many repair shops won't touch it. It is critical you bring it to someone that has prior experience with this specific wheel. Did not anticipate the difficulty in getting my minor rash repaired (it was only a half inch near the edge).
What dealer fixed your wheel?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
nchan50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 JzB/FR e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdoc View Post
What dealer fixed your wheel?
Prestige BMW in Ramsey - I also use them for service/maintenance. They actually were my last call b/c I was afraid of how much a dealer would charge for this repair but they actually were cheaper than every other option.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Captain45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 - SG

My 220M's have curb rash on all 4 wheels. Michigan BMW dealer Erhard quoted $500 for all 4. I havent had the work done yet so I cant speak on the finish but apparently they said its no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
red998
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchan50 View Post
Prestige BMW in Ramsey - I also use them for service/maintenance. They actually were my last call b/c I was afraid of how much a dealer would charge for this repair but they actually were cheaper than every other option.
can you PM me how how much they charged?
i go there for my service too.
my grey oem wheels were curbed in the winter storm a few yrs ago and never got them repaired. really want them back the way they were.
Thanks
Appreciate 0