BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #89
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

just sent payment for everything, but not for stage 2 since i'm not catless....yet
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      11-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #90
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I know this is the ECU but Alex did my DCT GTS Tune today after the dealer lost it for me. Once again my car feels much more alive. Thank you Alex@alpine once again!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:10 PM   #91
M3_Slayer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboxmycar View Post
Got my tunes today - GTS DCT and ECU tunes.
Alex helped me to get everything set up. He is really accommodating to all sorts of questions.
That said, the tunes....
Oh my god - DCT feels amazing, much faster. much smoother. I can't say enough, this is a tune to get for all E90/92 M owners.
As for the ECU tune, I can definitely feel more power under 3K RPM. I've been craving for something new, I love the power gain that Alex's tune brings to my M3. Alex says the car will get more powerful as it gets used to my driving habits. I will report back. So far, I love it.

are the DCT and ECU tune separate cost??
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #92
M3_Slayer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
Can't say how incredibly pleased i am with Alex's Tune for the E9x, while i don't have any numbers the hp increase and tq is on par or better then others on the block. Butt feelings that is.

Glad to help anyone here in the tri-state get it set up on their car!
Hey Jeff, is there a price difference getting Alex's ECU and DCT tune from ACM? I'm sorta close by so I would love to go through the whole process in person.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      12-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #93
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz82 View Post
I have his tune.

The car pulls much stronger from 3000rpm and up. Usable torque in daily driving is much more apparent and it is a noticeable bump in power in the mid-range. I haven't dynoed it though. I've also noticed it idles much smoother although that could be from the software update as I was on a very dated version prior. At WOT the car feels also feels faster and more linear high RPM. As if driving this car at above 5500rpm isn't already fun! Alex can adjust the redline, but I kept mine at 8300rpm. I also kept the cold start function. I have a drop in AA filter and AA catback. I also have the Alpine DCT tune, which shifts completely different than the stock DCT tune and some other coding (euro mdm, etc).

The burble option is nice and I asked for a separate map with it, but you will only hear it with an aftermarket xpipe and you can tell it's artificial.

Dealing with Alex was excellent. His service is top notch and live as you communicate mostly through text. The only thing better would be having someone right beside you. He gave me 6 maps in total and the availability for more later. The software he uses (and you get) is the exact same thing you'll see big name shops using to flash your car. It can also read/clear codes.

It is tough to compare the alpine tune to the other popular ones out there as I have not tried them, but I'm very happy with it. I did research with the other options and the tunes are all really subjective. No one has really pitted all tunes against each other and if they did, I'd bet you'd have a negligible difference - although I'd love to compare to the popular BPM tune... Most people are happy and so am I. The difference is for the price Alex charges you, it is extreme value vs the competition. As you can see all my tuning/coding business is with Alex.

Hope that helps everyone thinking about it!
Great write up triggz82. I just ordered Alex ECU tune for my E93. I have the BPM ECU tune on my E92 so once he installs the tune I hope to be able to report back the difference between the two. As you mentioned it is subjective, and throw in the fact that they are two completely different animals the E92 and E93 with the additional 400lbs that I'm not sure how I will be able to comment in relation to both.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #94
hungryhippo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I finally had a chance to drive my m3 a few times. Like mentioned previously, seems to run smoother in the lower rpms and more pep in the mid range. Feels like it picked up power up top, but i haven't driven this car much since i bought. 10 to 20 hp is realistic. Lastly, gas mileage has increased 1-2 mpg, even with driving the car harder for testing. I'm very happy with what i got for the money.
Appreciate 1
slcook541859.50
      12-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #95
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Alex redid my DCT due to the dealer losing it during the airbag and battery cable recalls.

And then ordered his ECU stage 2 tune. Thank you very much.
Appreciate 1
DreamTime863.50
      12-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #96
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Alex redid my DCT due to the dealer losing it during the airbag and battery cable recalls.

And then ordered his ECU stage 2 tune. Thank you very much.
I know you were excited about this yesterday, congrats!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      12-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #97
motion732
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F30 335 M Sport

Odd question on tuning - if I go with one and decide to go back to stock when selling the car, will there be a record of the tune within the car's computer?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #98
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion732 View Post
Odd question on tuning - if I go with one and decide to go back to stock when selling the car, will there be a record of the tune within the car's computer?
No, not detectable at all.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      12-16-2017, 02:26 AM   #99
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Just drove for a few minutes with the transmission flash and already could tell from shifting 1st to 2nd was smooth and felt right. Smiles all around especially with my ipe muffler. I can’t wait for the ecu tune once I get my baseline dyno!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #100
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Just purchased a tune from Alex...looking forward to getting this going! Can't beat the responsiveness and customer service. Alex emailed me back within 30 mins of my original inquiry. Thank you Alex!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      12-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #101
Kenith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Luckily, I’m local and was able to get a dct/Ecu tune through Alex. He’s thorough and delivered more than promised. For those willing to drive, he takes the time to make sure all is 100% perfect and then goes above and beyond with some amazing lunch choices.

As far as power/shifting, everything feels much better. Power comes on earlier with more torque and the shifts are crisper and smoother. Rev matched downshifts are music to the ears. Thank you Alex!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      12-29-2017, 08:37 AM   #102
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Update - so I had my car tuned on Tuesday by Alex. Everything was smooth, we communicated via text, Alex made sure everything was perfect and answered all my questions. As others have mentioned, he goes above and beyond. Now for the good part - My car already has MS pulleys, MS Stg2 intake and Full Akra exhaust w/ race cats...with Alex's stg 2 tune, the car went from being fun, to being downright dangerous lol...it freaking rips and I love it!!! It's that rare feeling of being a little bit scared when you first drive a REALLY fast car. I'm very happy with the result according to Alex, the car will feel faster as it adapts.

Again, can't say enough good things about Alex; his customer service is top notch and he's always just a quick text away. Not quite sure how he does it, to be honest.

For the price and the service you get, this is an unbeatable deal.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      12-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #103
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Update - so I had my car tuned on Tuesday by Alex. Everything was smooth, we communicated via text, Alex made sure everything was perfect and answered all my questions. As others have mentioned, he goes above and beyond. Now for the good part - My car already has MS pulleys, MS Stg2 intake and Full Akra exhaust w/ race cats...with Alex's stg 2 tune, the car went from being fun, to being downright dangerous lol...it freaking rips and I love it!!! It's that rare feeling of being a little bit scared when you first drive a REALLY fast car. I'm very happy with the result according to Alex, the car will feel faster as it adapts.

Again, can't say enough good things about Alex; his customer service is top notch and he's always just a quick text away. Not quite sure how he does it, to be honest.

For the price and the service you get, this is an unbeatable deal.
Did you get a burble file just for shits and giggles? Alex loaded one for me although he's not a fan of it which I understand. I ran it last night for a bit and the car is definitely a little bit quicker. The burble was pretty cool to hear also. A buddy will be riding alongside me tonight to try to video the flames shooting out. I'll go back to my regular tune after.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #104
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you get a burble file just for shits and giggles? Alex loaded one for me although he's not a fan of it which I understand. I ran it last night for a bit and the car is definitely a little bit quicker. The burble was pretty cool to hear also. A buddy will be riding alongside me tonight to try to video the flames shooting out. I'll go back to my regular tune after.
Nope, but I might ask for it. Post the video! Wondering if he has a race gas and/or e85 tune now. Both are plentiful in my area.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #105
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Quote:
Nope, but I might ask for it. Post the video! Wondering if he has a race gas and/or e85 tune now. Both are plentiful in my area.
Yes race gas would certainly help. He suggested it for the burble but I couldn't find any close by to me. Again, I don't recommend the burble for any length of time. It was out of curiosity for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #106
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes race gas would certainly help. He suggested it for the burble but I couldn't find any close by to me. Again, I don't recommend the burble for any length of time. It was out of curiosity for me.
I hear ya...same thing for me; pure morbid curiosity. lol
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      02-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #107
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Anyone have this tune with Akra evo? I know ESS has a specific tune for the Akra system but Im guessing with this you would just run stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #108
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Anyone have this tune with Akra evo? I know ESS has a specific tune for the Akra system but Im guessing with this you would just run stage 2?
Actually, I do. I asked Alex the same question; he said he had a specific tune for the Akra evo exhaust. That's what we loaded on to my car and I'm very please with it. It's an animal now. So much so that I don't drive it in M mode 90% of the time lol
      02-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #109
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I too have ordered the Alex tune

Hope that I get everything sorted so once summer gets here, the car is GTG!

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #110
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
That would be me. I got Alex's tune with my newly installed Akra evo and the car is completely transformed. This is how the car was meant to drive from the factory my friends! People go overboard with their mods on this forum but the bottom line is that all you need to have an amazing driving experience with this M3 is a full Akra exhaust, and Alex's Akra-specific ECU tune. I test-drove a number of cars in 2017, including the new M3, wanting to upgrade from my 2008-E90 (which BTW I bought in 2008) and doing these 2 simple upgrades made me realize what a special car this is and saved me from blowing a large hole in my bank account by trading it in for a new car.

While I am here I want to say that all the good publicity Alex is getting is well deserved. He is the nicest guy you will ever meet, knows his S/W stuff cold, offers amazing one-on-one service, and has the lowest price in the business. Thank you Alex, you da man!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50