BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Bart@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

Grinding noise from rear driver's side wheel/brake/suspension

When slowly taking off, I hear a metal grinding noise, it sounds like something is rubbing on the brake dust shield behind the rotor. Only at slow, slow speeds when launching and reversing. I took the wheel off to see if there is a pebble or something stuck between the shield and rotor, or wheel, or somewhere in that area but I found nothing. Any ideas? Naturally I would go to the dealer, but I recently lowered the car and don't want them blaming the suspension mod on this problem. I've dropped every one of my cars, and I doubt that's what the problem is. It was fine for a few weeks after the install, this noise is pretty recent.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

mine started doing the same noise, on the rear driver side wheel, I don't know what it is, but it seems to go away at times, I haven't lowered my car, I thought maybe the exhaust was loose, but nothing, I'm taking it to the dealer, see what happens
      11-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoOrtega View Post
mine started doing the same noise, on the rear driver side wheel, I don't know what it is, but it seems to go away at times, I haven't lowered my car, I thought maybe the exhaust was loose, but nothing, I'm taking it to the dealer, see what happens

yeah its on and off, doesn't always happed, weird

i just installed my exhaust last week.. it's not it.. def something to do with the wheel/brake/dust shield.. keep me posted please, thanks

anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I believe there's a TSB (or whatever BMW calls them) about the brake shields on '08 cars and some '09s, but they usually 'clicked' only with heavy cornering. If the shields are silver, they're the possible bad ones, so you might get them replaced without much fuzz. Do a search for the bulletin number, so you don't waste time while dealer looks for it.

Having said that, I'd lift the car, roll the wheel by hand, and try to duplicate it that way. You can always bend the shield a little to clear any rubbing. Since I'll never track my car, I won't bother replacing them. Plus they might not even be bad, as not all make the clicking noise. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
wolftrouble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Interesting, I've noticed the same thing. I was afraid it was because of my aftermarket springs, but maybe not...
      11-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Bart@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrouble View Post
Interesting, I've noticed the same thing. I was afraid it was because of my aftermarket springs, but maybe not...
went to the dealer, and the noise stopped when i pulled in to the service area.. car got scared.. noise is now gone
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

It happened to me after I gave my car a wash. For the first few miles after the wash it sounded like I was lugging around a rust wagon that was falling apart. Kinda embarrassing driving an expensive car that sounds like it's falling in pieces. The noise eventually went away a few days later. My friend told me that it could have been build up of hard water (calcium) in the brake assembly that caused all the noise. Now after every wash I blow dry the wheels/brake with my leaf blower. My neighbors are staring to think I've gone nuts since I got my car. I was always a few fries short of a happy meal to begin with.
      11-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Anyone found the TSB number on this ?

Brake Shields?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

..several threads on this over the past 18 months...it is a small rock stuck between the brake rotor and shield...very common. I have 25,000 miles and it has happened 4 or 5 times randomly but then goes away...sounds like your dragging cans around??.....good luck...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
It happened to me after I gave my car a wash. For the first few miles after the wash it sounded like I was lugging around a rust wagon that was falling apart. Kinda embarrassing driving an expensive car that sounds like it's falling in pieces. The noise eventually went away a few days later. My friend told me that it could have been build up of hard water (calcium) in the brake assembly that caused all the noise. Now after every wash I blow dry the wheels/brake with my leaf blower. My neighbors are staring to think I've gone nuts since I got my car. I was always a few fries short of a happy meal to begin with.
lol if my family ever caught me doin that they would commit me!
      12-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
1badtantrum
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I have a similar/same noise. Mine comes from the passenger rear wheel, most of the time, on very slow (in parking lot...)speed tight right hand corners. I thought it was the brake scrubbing or something to do with a differential lock or slip...The driver side will do it occasionally on tight left hand slow (parking lot...) corners. Searching for a TSB...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtantrum View Post
I have a similar/same noise.
Yours is diff chatter, which is normal. But I've read there's a TSB on that too which calls for a different differential fluid (with more additive, I guess).
The TSB clicking noise I was referring to is just during hard cornering, and involves silver rotor covers (newer ones are black).
And the 3rd potential problem, a pebble or rock wedged in the shield is not really a problem, plus it's easily remedied. OP needs to determine which of the 3 he has .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Yours is diff chatter, which is normal. But I've read there's a TSB on that too which calls for a different differential fluid (with more additive, I guess).
The TSB clicking noise I was referring to is just during hard cornering, and involves silver rotor covers (newer ones are black).
And the 3rd potential problem, a pebble or rock wedged in the shield is not really a problem, plus it's easily remedied. OP needs to determine which of the 3 he has .
Would you mind listing the TSB's then for each of those 3 conditions for future issues incurred by other memebers
apparently I had the rock problem, its gone and the car is in storage
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
I always use a leaf blower to get water out of the seams, mirrors, trunk and grill/gills. It's a detailers trick--keeps those drips and resulting water spots from showing up after a wash. Hadn't tried it on the wheels though!

My neighbors are too busy doing there own weird things--like pressure washing the grill weekly--to worry about what I'm doing.

Besides who cares what they think?!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #15
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Would you mind listing the TSB's then for each of those 3 conditions for future issues incurred by other memebers
apparently I had the rock problem, its gone and the car is in storage
If I had them I'd have listed them, but just remember reading about them by accident. Since I didn't have any of those problems didn't pay closer attention. Sorry. But they're somewhere on this board .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I always use a leaf blower to get water out of the seams, mirrors, trunk and grill/gills. It's a detailers trick--keeps those drips and resulting water spots from showing up after a wash. Hadn't tried it on the wheels though!

My neighbors are too busy doing there own weird things--like pressure washing the grill weekly--to worry about what I'm doing.

Besides who cares what they think?!
+1. I forgot to mention I also do that.
      05-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Bump for a good read. This just happened to me in my 2011 E90 and I thought my wheels were loose or something but it's definitely the brake heat shield.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
e90_2_f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer
Bump for a good read. This just happened to me in my 2011 E90 and I thought my wheels were loose or something but it's definitely the brake heat shield.
Here it is, sorry for the copy/paste on iPhone...

SI B33 01 02 January 2009 Rear Axle Technical Service
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B33 01 02 dated March 2008. designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Grinding Noise from the Differential during Slow Cornering
MODEL
E46 M3 from start of production
E60 M5 from start of production
E63, E64 M6 from start of production
E90, E92 and E93 M3 from start of production
E85, E86 with S54 from start of production
SITUATION
A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering.
This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations; for example, while parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.
CAUSE
When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch, causing the grinding noise.
This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential are broken in.
The break-in time varies depending on driving habits; for example, tighter cornering (working the locking clutch) means that it takes less time to break in the locking clutch discs.
CORRECTION
If a customer complaint is verified as described above on the E46 M3; E60 M5; E63 and E64 M6; or on the E90, E92 and E93 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.
PROCEDURE
1. Drainthedifferentialoil.Refertotheappropriatemodel repairinstructioninTIS: Main Group 33 / Subgroup 10 / RA 0011259.
2. Refillthedifferentialwithspecialdifferentialoilass hownintheillustrationbelow. Differential fill capacity = 1.2 liters (1.3 quarts).
Remove the seal (1) between the bottle cap and
U:/.../www.bmwtis.net tsb bulletins bu...
1/2

neck.
Pull the filler tube (2) out of the bottle.
Remove the cap (3) from the filler tube (2).
Insert the filler tube into the fill hole in the differential and with the bottle positioned under the output shaft, squeeze the bottle to transfer the oil into the differential.
3. Roadtestthevehicle.
With the vehicle at operating temperature, drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction), allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.
The grinding noise will decrease when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated. Some slight noises may still be heard after driving in tight circles. Advise the customer that it will be necessary to drive the vehicle up to 600 miles before all noises are eliminated.
Note: Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to use this oil whenever a service requiring the differential oil replacement is indicated.
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description Qty.
83 22 2 282 583 Special differential oil kit 1 Contains 3 bottles - .5 liters (.53 quarts) each
(order quantity 1 : bill out quantity 3)
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Defect Code
Labor Operation: Labor Allowance:
33 10 92 39 00
Replace differential oil with special oil
00 53 267 3 FRU
[ Copyright © 2009 BMW of North America, LLC ]
U:/.../www.bmwtis.net tsb bulletins bu...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #19
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I'm having this exact problem on my M4 could it just be a rock?
      02-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #20
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I'm having this exact problem on my M4 could it just be a rock?
I had a similar noise on my M3 last spring...you may want tell the dealership to take a look at your parking brake...I had to have mine "burnished" under waranty...solved the noise issue
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #21
dbc112
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F5 Cobra Kit, S4's, et

Same issue here fellas. I purchased a nice used 2012 E92 last weekend. This had me so perplexed, I went for a quick spin last night in the rain to test out to auto lights, and auto wipers... low and behold a grinding noise at very slow speeds, I stopped, broke out the flashlight and was laying in the rain in the driveway, didnt even pull it into the garage. Can you say a bit neurotic? But felt good to be back in the "I love my car" game, as my previous DD was lame.

I am hoping it is a rock.. sounded like dragging tin cans or something metalic rubbing. I plan to take the wheel off tonight and have a look. I will also note the color of the brake shield.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #22
dbc112
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F5 Cobra Kit, S4's, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc112 View Post
Same issue here fellas. I purchased a nice used 2012 E92 last weekend. This had me so perplexed, I went for a quick spin last night in the rain to test out to auto lights, and auto wipers... low and behold a grinding noise at very slow speeds, I stopped, broke out the flashlight and was laying in the rain in the driveway, didnt even pull it into the garage. Can you say a bit neurotic? But felt good to be back in the "I love my car" game, as my previous DD was lame.

I am hoping it is a rock.. sounded like dragging tin cans or something metalic rubbing. I plan to take the wheel off tonight and have a look. I will also note the color of the brake shield.

Dan
FYI this ended up being a small rock stuck behind the cheap brake shield. thingamagig... knocked it out and problem solved..
Appreciate 0