BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

?Typical tire carcass depth

Just found a small screw in one of my Pilot Super Sports.

It looks like a 1cm sheet metal screw. (There's constant residential construction going on around us. Drives me nuts.) It was sticking into the flat tread surface of the tire, not the shoulder. It was sticking into the valley or recess between tread blocks, and fortunately the head of the screw was big enough that it prevented it from sinking fully into the tire. So my question is, if maybe 4mm or so of the screw tip was actually penetrating the tire down in the recess, is that enough depth to puncture fully into the interior of the tire?

I pulled the screw and put some soapy water at the puncture site to see if air was escaping, and it doesn't appear to be doing so. I'll eventually know in a few hours or days if I lose air pressure, but just wondering if anyone knew the typical thickness of the tire carcass (rubber/nylon/steel etc.) at that point.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

I do not have specs on this, but I have gotten to hold some tires cut in half to show the construction, and if only 4mm went in you probably did not puncture the inner liner of the tire, which is what holds the air.
      05-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Thanks, Ben. It seems to be holding air so far.
Appreciate 0