BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

DCT - Full Throttle Starts - No LC

Hi -

For those of you that have the DCT I am wondering what happens when you are sitting at a stop light and you just floor it. Do the tires spin briefly like they might with a powerful car with an automatic transmission or does the DCT adjust for wheel spin and you just take off? I wouldn't imagine that the engine would bog or stumble but I have just been wondering how the car would behave doing this without using LC.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

DSC on or off?

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
DSC on or off?
both. but i think i already know what the answer will be.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
both. but i think i already know what the answer will be.
I've never done it, but with DSC on power will probably be cut and with it off the tires will spin. There shouldn't be any bog unless you consider the engine cutting power to be bog.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I guess I was thinking with DSC off or set to MDM.

Just trying to understand how DCT feels since I haven't driven one yet. Do the RPMs rise before the car starts to move like it would with a fully manual transmission or is it more linear RPMs to vehicle speed?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

check out the launch control on the DCT
      06-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

C63 takeoff =

M3 DCT takeoff =
      06-14-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
C63 takeoff =

M3 DCT takeoff =
Not with the LC. I reckon it will be easier for anyone to launch the m3 better than the C63 AMG. The time C&D got is fairly hard to acheive.
      06-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
C63 takeoff =

M3 DCT takeoff =
Keep wishing man. If so, it doesn't matter. Cars have steering wheels and wheels for a reason that is to turn the car so who cares if it may be able to beat on straight away. The real proof is the track and the stick killed it by 8 seconds.Imagine what the DCT would do.
      06-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
I guess I was thinking with DSC off or set to MDM.

Just trying to understand how DCT feels since I haven't driven one yet. Do the RPMs rise before the car starts to move like it would with a fully manual transmission or is it more linear RPMs to vehicle speed?
+1

I have wondered the same thing myself. Basically, how close to the manual 0-60 times can you come with M-DCT withough using LC?

I also wonder what happens if you just put the M-DCT in neutral, rev up the motor, and then pop it into 1st. I guess it would cut power before completing the shift. Not sure if that's even allowed or possible though.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwprince4life View Post
Keep wishing man. If so, it doesn't matter. Cars have steering wheels and wheels for a reason that is to turn the car so who cares if it may be able to beat on straight away. The real proof is the track and the stick killed it by 8 seconds.Imagine what the DCT would do.
wow - The M3 Stick Killed the MB at the track. as I always say, the world is not flat and 1/4 mile long.
      06-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #12
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

In my erstwhile e46 M3 SMGII if you disabled stablility control and mashed the pedal it would just burn, burn, burn. Not a good way to get a fast time.
      06-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
icemang17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Interesting.....I won't have mine for 4 days.... but the 6MT I drove was interesting...since I tried it with the DSC on and the DSC off....I was rolling along at maybe 10mph floored it....the tires would chirp-spin briefly, then DSC would shut it down...then let up and it would chirp-spin, then DSC shut it down...repeat until I let off..

With the DSC off....its a train wreck...tires just vaporize!!!
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #14
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I also wonder what happens if you just put the M-DCT in neutral, rev up the motor, and then pop it into 1st. I guess it would cut power before completing the shift. Not sure if that's even allowed or possible though.
It will stay in neutral until the revs drop to idle, then it will go into gear. However you can to go neutral from any gear while rolling as long as your not pressing the accelerator.
      06-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

I will try to run a few launch experiments and post the results. So far it seems that without use of LC you suffer quite a bit. With the tranny set in D5 if you floor it from a stop...the car sits there until the engine hits 5K then the clutch gets dumped automatically and you go...but while you are sitting there the other car gets a car length on you. Sux. I am not sure what to make of this. Other thing is when you use the shift paddles you have to pull firmly or you miss the shift and it's over. Happened to me the other night. I was surprised that a moderate pull of the upshift paddle didn't do the trick, had to mash it. Also seems to make a big difference if you have more than a quarter tank and a passenger lol....if I am light on gas and alone, I always chirp through the first three gears and nearly in fourth. I also have had an issue lately with the car shifting from 1 - 2, pedal floored, in D5, shifts at 6K...sux bad and disappointing, I assume it's a software issue. The car screams 99% of the time, just takes some getting used to. I still don't know what to think about that lag when not using LC...seems weird to me. I do miss my 6MT when THAT happens

Anyone tried power braking this DCT tranny yet for a better launch when not in LC mode??
      06-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Mack211
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT

Many great questions in this post. Now you have me thinking...

Things im still unsure on with M-DCT:
1. You can go to neutral from any gear? Is this good for if you are coming to a stop?
2. What happens if you rev in neutral and flip the lever to the right to put it in 'S' mode?
      06-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack211 View Post
Many great questions in this post. Now you have me thinking...

Things im still unsure on with M-DCT:
1. You can go to neutral from any gear? Is this good for if you are coming to a stop?
2. What happens if you rev in neutral and flip the lever to the right to put it in 'S' mode?
1. No you can go from any gear to neutral by holding the lever (not paddle) to the left for a bit. Then you can go back from N to the gear the current Drivelogic program selects as the best gear to engage.

2. It stays in neutral until the revs drop. You can not treat it like a automatic in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
Mack211
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
1. No you can go from any gear to neutral by holding the lever (not paddle) to the left for a bit. Then you can go back from N to the gear the current Drivelogic program selects as the best gear to engage.

2. It stays in neutral until the revs drop. You can not treat it like a automatic in this regard.
Thanks.

In regards to my first question. Is this bad practice to put it in neutral (for example: coming to a stop light) and then flip it back to the right into S or D?
      06-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
I will try to run a few launch experiments and post the results. So far it seems that without use of LC you suffer quite a bit. With the tranny set in D5 if you floor it from a stop...the car sits there until the engine hits 5K then the clutch gets dumped automatically and you go...but while you are sitting there the other car gets a car length on you. Sux. I am not sure what to make of this. Other thing is when you use the shift paddles you have to pull firmly or you miss the shift and it's over. Happened to me the other night. I was surprised that a moderate pull of the upshift paddle didn't do the trick, had to mash it. Also seems to make a big difference if you have more than a quarter tank and a passenger lol....if I am light on gas and alone, I always chirp through the first three gears and nearly in fourth. I also have had an issue lately with the car shifting from 1 - 2, pedal floored, in D5, shifts at 6K...sux bad and disappointing, I assume it's a software issue. The car screams 99% of the time, just takes some getting used to. I still don't know what to think about that lag when not using LC...seems weird to me. I do miss my 6MT when THAT happens

Anyone tried power braking this DCT tranny yet for a better launch when not in LC mode??

Do you notice the shift from 1-2 seems to have a bit more bit than the other gears or is it just me? I only have 200 miles on the car so i am shifting under 5k.
      06-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
C63 takeoff =

M3 DCT takeoff =
Ahh, the traitor who is seduced by raw power inevitably turns troll!

You are now on the dark side my friend...

And, one day, when I'm in SoCal, I'll hit you up for a ride in the axe murderer...
      06-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #21
Flyingfart
Just as when I found my car, they changed it.
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90-330i

dont bother lucid if you want to stay alive
+1
too bad this C63 guy was blinded by torque and now misguided to think that his tranny is now much faster shifting than a computerized Dual Clutch System. Awake up and smell the rubber !!!

Now I have to brace myself for a minor C63 troll interuption on every thread I read on a M3 board ...
Merc is a POS in my opinion, I just hope I dont see any of them at a traffic turn that Im approaching

Last edited by Flyingfart; 06-14-2008 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #22
atcga
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post

Davo,
Did you notice any of this before the tranny replacement? I'm wondering if some tweaking may be in order since the swap. Have the paddles always responded in this manner?