BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
rich662
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
EDC or no EDC

Hi Guys, was wondering if I can get any advice from ppl here whether the EDC option is worth getting. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

FS: DPE LS-5 (for sale: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171839)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

From what I've read in reviews, it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
EDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich662 View Post
Hi Guys, was wondering if I can get any advice from ppl here whether the EDC option is worth getting. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Depends on your needs and expectations. It certainly has advantages in terms of being able to customize the car, at the expense of cost and complexity. I imagine you would get the price back upon resale, though. I assume there will be aftermarket springs to allow some modification, and maybe even chip tuning for the system. On the other hand, my E46 with coilovers seems just fine to me.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf shocks.pdf (90.2 KB, 754 views)

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
NavNurs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 / S2000 beater

In the end it seems the "without EDC" car is somewhere between normal and sport modes. This is perfect for me and is what I shall order, and eventually blather on about.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
You probably wouldn't miss it ... until you drove a car that had it. I use it all the time .... "comfort" for city commuting on poorly maintained streets, "sport" for getting over speed humps. It is one of the features that makes the car such an all-rounder, taking it from comfortable city car to taught, agile sports car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Probably should get it, coilovers that are compatible with EDC will eventually come the same way they did for PASM.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #7
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

I have it and don't think it is worth it.

I just drove a NON-EDC E92 m3 and it felt more compliant than MY EDC in soft mode.

While more compliant - as far as stopping roll the non EDC felt like EDC on max hard (full sport)

So save the bucks I think.

BUT - EDC will probably help resale - if a buyer has a choice between an NON EDC and EDC he'd prob go the EDC.

my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
I have it and don't think it is worth it.

I just drove a NON-EDC E92 m3 and it felt more compliant than MY EDC in soft mode.

While more compliant - as far as stopping roll the non EDC felt like EDC on max hard (full sport)

So save the bucks I think.

BUT - EDC will probably help resale - if a buyer has a choice between an NON EDC and EDC he'd prob go the EDC.

my 2 cents.
Nice to see all the answers. I posed the same question many weeks ago and at the time nobody really chimed in with an informed opinion. My contention is that on my 330i with Sport Pkg, the car handled like a slot car and was just fine on bumps etc. So how could the M3 without EDC be worse than my 330i with Sport Pkg?? I love gadgets but can't imagine enjoying switching between modes. Everytime I go out in my Bimmer it's "race day" for me. I enjoy taking corners at double the recommnded speed when traffic allows..and that's often

Personally, I am waiting on the upgrade audio specs. If it's really something special, I will get the Tech Pkg and Audio upgrade. If not, I will go with 19's, SR, Ipod/USB...that's it. I love the iDrive interface, CA, NAV soso, but M drive and EDC are things I actually couldn't care less about. I mean seriously, if I have a non-tech pkg car and a guy with "M-drive" pulls up next to me, does he like smoke me because punching the M button launches him into some kind of "light speed" mode?
Seems like alot of fluff when the stock setup most likely rocks as is.
My 2 cents.
      01-09-2008, 04:13 AM   #9
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
I have EDC and would honestly say that you never really need anything other than Normal mode - ride and handling are both great. If the default non-EDC setting is a little stiffer that would be fine too.

As far as performance is concerned, I've seen it rumoured on this forum that best laptimes were achieved with EDC in Normal mode.

In hindsight, the Individual audio probably offers better value for money at similar cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
Martl
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E30 and M3 E92

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
I have EDC and would honestly say that you never really need anything other than Normal mode - ride and handling are both great. If the default non-EDC setting is a little stiffer that would be fine too.

As far as performance is concerned, I've seen it rumoured on this forum that best laptimes were achieved with EDC in Normal mode.

In hindsight, the Individual audio probably offers better value for money at similar cost.

Hi,

you are fully right. I have got it and I don't need it.
Save the money for a real sport suspension like from Schnitzer.

My opinion

regards
Martin
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
EDC

Quote:
It's interesting BMW has not provided any non-EDC cars for media review, apparently. Anyone seen a review without EDC?

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
kuruptracing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon 2015 M4

Garage List
Some manufacture needs to make a coilover set up that would work with the edc! I'd buy it in a second when I get my car!....

I'm planning on getting the edc, but will probably change to coilovers anyways... oh well it'll be nice to have for resale
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
It's interesting BMW has not provided any non-EDC cars for media review, apparently. Anyone seen a review without EDC?
It's included with the ZTP here, so it may be hard to come by a car without it for review. I hope they do because I'm on the fence with EDC right now, and obviously won't be getting ZTP.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
No EDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
It's included with the ZTP here, so it may be hard to come by a car without it for review. I hope they do because I'm on the fence with EDC right now, and obviously won't be getting ZTP.
Oc course, without the Technology Package you also can't get MDrive, the Sport steering setting and Comfort Access.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:

I'm glad I have EDC. 90% of the time my car is in Comfort Mode but I live and drive in and around town centres for much of the time.

The other 10% I stick it in Sport Mode; normally via the M Button. So the only mode I don't use is Normal Mode!

Without EDC, although I've heard different things about the 'default' setting, I would miss this range for the dampers.

So, definately worth it in my book; as are 19s and the upgraded the Logic 7 sound system.

Last edited by JerezBlue!; 01-09-2008 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Oc course, without the Technology Package you also can't get MDrive, the Sport steering setting and Comfort Access.
I'm prepared to do without all of those things, with the steering being the one that concerns me the most.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
I have EDC and would honestly say that you never really need anything other than Normal mode - ride and handling are both great.
Do keep in mind that Normal mode with an EDC system (and in Comfort mode as well - all modes except Sport) is a fully active suspension, that means the compression and rebound damping are being adjusted and optimized continually in real time (not sure the exact frequency, but likely multiple times per second) according to input from accelerometers near all four corners of the car. The EDC system probably also takes input from the braking system as well (say more compression damping in the front on braking, etc.). However, front dive on braking could be detected solely with the accelerometers.

Therefore, saying you like Normal mode in an EDC car fine, and never need to change modes, absolutely does not justify the belief that a non EDC car will feel equivalent.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Do keep in mind that Normal mode with an EDC system (and in Comfort mode as well - all modes except Sport) is a fully active suspension, that means the compression and rebound damping are being adjusted and optimized continually in real time (not sure the exact frequency, but likely multiple times per second) according to input from accelerometers near all four corners of the car. The EDC system probably also takes input from the braking system as well (say more compression damping in the front on braking, etc.). However, front dive on braking could be detected solely with the accelerometers.

Therefore, saying you like Normal mode in an EDC car fine, and never need to change modes, absolutely does not justify the belief that a non EDC car will feel equivalent.
Point taken but I think the active/passive thing has been explained here a million times. Would be nice to hear no technical explanations whatsoever and hear some real world experiences. My thought is that passive has as many advantages as active in that you get used to the feel of the car and its capabilities in one mode. Suffice it to say that if I ordered EDC I would leave it in one mode unless I wanted to change it around for "grins". Even though it may be a technological marvel so to speak, I can still say it would probably just annoy me. Would love to hear a response to my post above this one.
      01-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #19
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

I like EDC. It's better than the 911 damper control. In the Carrera you have hard and extra-hard options while the M3 it is really comfort (city driving) and precise control (circuit).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

EDC all the way!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #21
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

I'm sure you're correct. I'm honestly not sure that anyone but an expert is going to be able to tell whether they are driving with active damping though. I don't doubt the technology is awesome and the EDC is fun to play around with for a bit, but the practical application for 99% of drivers is rather gimmicky.

The power button on the other hand is great.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #22
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It would be an easier choice if the base suspension was one of the three settings on EDC, but it sounds like it isn't. I usually steer clear of this type of stuff in the name of simplicity and fewer moving parts, and probably will here too. It might be more attractive to me if I were buying this car to be a daily driver but I'm not. I'm still on the fence though, and will drive one and consider it.
Appreciate 0