BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

07-04-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
sello
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Big Thanks to Mike at BPM

finally got the straight pipes installed and i talke to mike on tuesday he tell me we can do the remote tune at 1pm pt im like great thats 3 hours difference.. well the idiot i am i text mike at 10am eastern time telling him im ready, he says mike its only 7am here but give me 15 min to wakeup and get a coffee and we can do it!!! great customer service!!!! well now i have a few question for the rest of u guys with test pipes... i honestly think it couldnt sound any worse!! its mettalicy (if thats even a word) but it 100% sounds god awful.. btw i am running stock mufflers. is this the reason, or will it sound much better with a new cat back system. or will that terrible sound still be present becaue the primary cats are removed. I have also read that most of u guys that did test pipes felt a pretty big difference in power, i really dont feel much if any added power at all. mike told me since i was running the latest software that i wouldnt feel much difference. I dont get it did I just spend 1400 to make my car sound like crap and to turn the cold start cycle off, maybe i was hoping for huge gains, which i really wasnt, i really thought the butt dyno would have felt like it was money well spent and sadly i think it wasnt, please any input would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Catless should yield the biggest power gains short of a supercharger, but this sound is usually excessive or doesn't sound good.

Last edited by roastbeef; 07-06-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
6SpdFANATIC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Melbourne Red

I have MS test pipes with a Megan Exhaust and Mike's tune. Car sounds MEAN. It is definitely a little more raspy without the aftermarket cat back exhaust so that could be your issue. I had test pipes (primary cat removed) with stock exhaust for a week or so and still wasn't happy so I poured over these threads trying to find the best exhaust setup and I can tell you that the Megan racing catback is the cheapest, but sounds INCREDIBLE with test pipes.

Found a used one for 300 bucks and then just took it and had it powder coated black and it was as good as new!

Don't waste your cash on exhaust systems as the power gains are minimal. You will get more from Mike's tune then you'll ever see from an exhaust system. It's all sound preference and everyone's butt dyno is different.

Good luck and happy driving!
      07-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I felt the same way at first. Driving the car gently or doing little pulls here and there on the street, it's hard to notice a difference.

It isn't until you turn DSC off, really plant your foot into it, you'll notice how much more it comes alive (and breaks loose easier), especially in the high rpm range. The hard part is it's difficult to do this on the street as redlining 2nd and you are already breaking most speed limits. You'll also want to be careful and you'll need the skill to control it, especially with DSC off. I find with DSC on it hides alot of the rawness that helps you feel the difference in power.

Take it on a track and I'm sure you'll feel a difference. You are looking at roughly 30rwhp gain, as proven by many dyno comparisons. While not game changing, it should be noticeable.

Last edited by tdott; 07-04-2014 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

I have AC test pipes, BPM Sport stage 2 and an Akrapovic slip on and I love the way my car sounds. Also at least 5 times this summer I have been at a stop light and some kid has asked me to "rev that shit up" So others seem to like it too
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

This thread is confusing and severely lacking in commas. The title is misleading. Can we start again?

Test Pipes should make an appreciable difference in power. If you gutted the x-pipe while you were at it, better get an aftermarket muffler to clean up the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
tony093
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

U need a rear piece. I just installed my RE test pipes last weekend and the car sounds so much meaner + the bump in HP is to die for.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Give the tune a day or two to fully adapt. The more you drive the more you will notice the difference.

On the test pipes not making noticeable power, I have to agree. Drove a friends car with no cats and stage 2 tune and it didn't feel any different than my car which still has primary cats. From all of the reviews on this board I expected it to be a night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
sello
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I knew I would get some flack for my post not being grammatically correct. But I wrote it at like 330 am and for some reason commas and question marks weren't working on my computer at work. I think I might have to go with the Megan catback it seems cheap enough so if I don't like it I can just sell it and take a very small loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
sello
Second Lieutenant
Rep

On another note.. My mechanic who was installing the test pipes let his friend with a 02 m3 drive my car (not happy to say the least) guy says their is something wrong with my car cuz his car would "walk" mine. Makes me feel a little better cuz I'm sure he didn't know how to drive a high revving v8.. Btw his m3 is stock
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Give the tune a day or two to fully adapt. The more you drive the more you will notice the difference.

On the test pipes not making noticeable power, I have to agree. Drove a friends car with no cats and stage 2 tune and it didn't feel any different than my car which still has primary cats. From all of the reviews on this board I expected it to be a night and day difference.
Am running stage 2 tune, challenge sport x-pipe with an Akra slip on and it actually feels slower it doesn't chirp anymore on the 2-3 shift. Am debating going back to the stock section 1 and just run the stage 1 tune. I was expecting a noticeable difference but not the other way around.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
sello
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dsm918 wow sucks man. I would assume a pretty good gain with that settup
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #13
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpdFANATIC View Post
I have MS test pipes with a Megan Exhaust and Mike's tune. Car sounds MEAN. It is definitely a little more raspy without the aftermarket cat back exhaust so that could be your issue. I had test pipes (primary cat removed) with stock exhaust for a week or so and still wasn't happy so I poured over these threads trying to find the best exhaust setup and I can tell you that the Megan racing catback is the cheapest, but sounds INCREDIBLE with test pipes.

Found a used one for 300 bucks and then just took it and had it powder coated black and it was as good as new!

Don't waste your cash on exhaust systems as the power gains are minimal. You will get more from Mike's tune then you'll ever see from an exhaust system. It's all sound preference and everyone's butt dyno is different.

Good luck and happy driving!
I have this same setup but turner pipes, sounds awesome. It's actually gotten quiter over the past year and can be very civil but scream when i want her to. I love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Didn't you listen to videos before you installed to know what you were getting?

Power increase catless + tune is/should be noticeable. Not night and day, but definitely noticeable. Seat of the pants, dyno, and real world accel data.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
GrahamDobbins
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JBM M3 BPM Sport Stage II

I had a Full Borla exhaust system and had to get my ACM test pipes welded in for the tune. I think my car sounds really good with that combo. The best thing about the tune in my opinion is the DCT upgrade. Man the car is just a beast now.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #16
jchristianp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

+1 on test pipes with a Megan catback.

I sometimes run this setup and get complimented with some regularity on the note. For the price, you cannot even come close with any other system.

The only thing that kills me with it though is there is still some raspiness and there is a drone about 2k rpm. If you have a manual this isn't really an issue, but if you have a DCT expect to be running in manual mode most of the time to keep you out of that rpm range. The downshifts sound amazing though and at WOT it turns heads.

I tried TPs with stock (tinny) and TPs with OEM mod (awful and too loud) before picking up a Megan.

For what it's worth though, I am back to running with cats and an OEM mod catback and personally probably like it a little more(refined). I still have the stage 2 loaded which Mike said would be alright if I was running on 93 octane. I know there is a loss in power but I couldn't tell the difference. I always drive with the electronic nanny on anyways and it happily catches me going too hard regardless of mid-section. My son's daycare has commented as well that I don't wake up all the babies when I drop him off anymore as well. I'll let the babies sleep : ..............for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
OP: do you have traction control turned off?

It takes a bit of driving and a few full throttle pulls to allow adaptation. But test pipes and tune is a very noticeable difference even coming from the latest versions of SW. I think it sounds good too, but maybe it's just me.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #18
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

I thought adaptation was a myth. Second cousin to Harvey the Rabbit
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #19
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
I thought adaptation was a myth. Second cousin to Harvey the Rabbit
Nope, as real as bigfoot from what I understand.

Especially when I went from catless tune back to stock exhaust and stock tune, car was a doggg for the first few pulls. I mean over and above what you'd expect from that downgrade in power. Got better the more I drove it.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #20
6SpdFANATIC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristianp
+1 on test pipes with a Megan catback.

I sometimes run this setup and get complimented with some regularity on the note. For the price, you cannot even come close with any other system.

The only thing that kills me with it though is there is still some raspiness and there is a drone about 2k rpm. If you have a manual this isn't really an issue, but if you have a DCT expect to be running in manual mode most of the time to keep you out of that rpm range. The downshifts sound amazing though and at WOT it turns heads.

I tried TPs with stock (tinny) and TPs with OEM mod (awful and too loud) before picking up a Megan.

For what it's worth though, I am back to running with cats and an OEM mod catback and personally probably like it a little more(refined). I still have the stage 2 loaded which Mike said would be alright if I was running on 93 octane. I know there is a loss in power but I couldn't tell the difference. I always drive with the electronic nanny on anyways and it happily catches me going too hard regardless of mid-section. My son's daycare has commented as well that I don't wake up all the babies when I drop him off anymore as well. I'll let the babies sleep : ..............for now.
I can vouch for the drone at 2k RPM with Megan and test pipes, but I have a manual so I virtually NEVER hit those RPMS. For the money, you won't come close to the sound from this setup with anything else. And thousands for a more aggressive exhaust note with no perf gains is crazy IMHO of course.