BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #45
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Tlud is a stand up guy. I am sure he would have disclosed any arrangements that constituted a conflict of interest. If he says there was no such arrangement, there was no such arrangement in my book.
      11-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #46
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Thanks, Nawaaz and Lucid. The great thing about this forum is the collective knowledge and shared experiences of its members. I'm well aware of the fact that a lot goes on behind the scenes that never makes it onto the forum, but I've appreciated all the help and advice I've been given, and I try to pass that on as much as I can.

To sum up my take on it, those who get a tune shouldn't be blind to the potential warranty consequences, but if you're going to get a tune, Powerchip will provide significant gains within safe limits, and I've been impressed with how Mike takes care of his customers.
      11-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #47
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Anybody questioning TLud has obviously not met him. Talk about a stand up guy, he let me solo test drive his car so that I could get a good idea of the SSK, brakes, and Dinan exhaust. He's very open about any of the mods he has done and provided solid reviews of the products.--John
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #48
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

wow..Made a mistake on my wording.. Let me rephrase. NO ONE ON THIS THREAD ARE FREEBEE TAKERS. BUT THERE ARE ON DIFFER THREADS..I was directing my view to eliminator and no one else. Next time i will pm people to give people my views.. tlud my fault.. Also i was giving a little love to my east coast friend. Now do we want to take it to a east vs west kind of atitude.. lol.. Stand up guys are people that can handle a little heat. I am a standup guy too. But my friends know it and so do my circle of people..I don't need people to tell me..It comes natural. I love reading about the tunes. I was close in getting one. Lemans had some views on a different thread that made me think about it..I was being honest and my wording was wrong. So the person that never mistyped a view or made a misunderstandment on thread be the first to throw a stone..jmo
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #49
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

^I was just jumping on the bandwagon

*But was serious in my assessment of Senor Lud
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #50
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
wow..Made a mistake on my wording.. Let me rephrase. NO ONE ON THIS THREAD ARE FREEBEE TAKERS. BUT THERE ARE ON DIFFER THREADS..I was directing my view to eliminator and no one else. Next time i will pm people to give people my views.. tlud my fault.. Also i was giving a little love to my east coast friend. Now do we want to take it to a east vs west kind of atitude.. lol.. Stand up guys are people that can handle a little heat. I am a standup guy too. But my friends know it and so do my circle of people..I don't need people to tell me..It comes natural. I love reading about the tunes. I was close in getting one. Lemans had some views on a different thread that made me think about it..I was being honest and my wording was wrong. So the person that never mistyped a view or made a misunderstandment on thread be the first to throw a stone..jmo
We Texans don't get involved in the East coast/West coast feud. Anyway, now that we're all straight on where everyone stands, let's get back on topic. I'm curious what ultimately backed you down from getting a tune. Was it the risk/reward ratio?
      11-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #51
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

the risk of getting updated..Also I just read on todays threads that engine lights and ses light's are popping on and off, because of tunes? To much risk. That's all....Lemans had a good thread started about tunes...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #52
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
the risk of getting updated..Also I just read on todays threads that engine lights and ses light's are popping on and off, because of tunes? To much risk. That's all....Lemans had a good thread started about tunes...
If you actually read the thread its not a tune thing I for one never had lights from my tune.... And I doubt I got a tune much different from anyother customer from Powerchip.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #53
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

The problem is guys get a tune and suddenly think anytime they get a CEL it must be the tunes fault. Also remember that guys with perfectly running cars with a tune don't make threads stating 10,000 miles and no CEL because that thread is pointless. Modding is meant for some guys and not meant for others.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #54
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The problem is guys get a tune and suddenly think anytime they get a CEL it must be the tunes fault. Also remember that guys with perfectly running cars with a tune don't make threads stating 10,000 miles and no CEL because that thread is pointless. Modding is meant for some guys and not meant for others.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
      11-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #55
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The risk of getting updated is actually one of the big reasons that I went with Powerchip, or more specifically, Mike Benvo. I know he'll take care of me if I ever have an issue or need to get my car reflashed. Yes, it's inconvenient, but I don't anticipate needing frequent updates with my 6MT. Much more understandable concern with a DCT. I'll certainly keep everyone posted if I throw a CEL and it's related to the tune.
      12-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #56
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
The risk of getting updated is actually one of the big reasons that I went with Powerchip, or more specifically, Mike Benvo. I know he'll take care of me if I ever have an issue or need to get my car reflashed. Yes, it's inconvenient, but I don't anticipate needing frequent updates with my 6MT. Much more understandable concern with a DCT. I'll certainly keep everyone posted if I throw a CEL and it's related to the tune.
TLud,

Thanks for your patience and understanding with some less than 'civilized' posters. I and others appreciate your candid reviews, posts and responses. A few guys up here in the 'great white north' are looking to organize a group buy (Spring timeframe) for a PC tune with Mike & Jeremy due to your comprehensive reviews and follow-ups to legitimate questions and concerns. All that said...thanks

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #57
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
TLud,

Thanks for your patience and understanding with some less than 'civilized' posters. I and others appreciate your candid reviews, posts and responses. A few guys up here in the 'great white north' are looking to organize a group buy (Spring timeframe) for a PC tune with Mike & Jeremy due to your comprehensive reviews and follow-ups to legitimate questions and concerns. All that said...thanks
Happy to help, Joe. I try to be as forthcoming as possible about the positives and the negatives of every mod I do. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have. I'm buried at work, so I can't always respond right away, but I'll do my best.
      09-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #58
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

I have spent some time getting educated on M3 tunes, and this post helps. Very good charts. I guess after while people stopped spending money on dynos and trusted the the PC tune was working well, as I struggle to get good dyno charts from 2010.

Anyway, nice gains, and they seem worth the tune.
      09-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #59
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

I get mine on Saturday. I'm pretty excited.
      09-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #60
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I get mine on Saturday. I'm pretty excited.
Are you going to give back to the community by posting pre and post dynoes? I also like to hear the process of getting ones car tuned.
      09-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #61
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
Are you going to give back to the community by posting pre and post dynoes? I also like to hear the process of getting ones car tuned.
Unfortunately, I don't think there will be any dyno tuning for mine. As far as I know, the Powerchip folks are flying out to the East Coast and flashing/reflashing cars. I only have a Macht Schnell intake and Agency Power exhaust w/connecting pipes and they said that it was a pretty standard flash.

I will post my results and what I think after it's done.