BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
jalyousef
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Instrument Cluster Options Not Saving

I've had my 09 M3 for about 4 years now and have never experienced this issue so I am asking for any help.

Whenever I press the "BC" button next to the steering wheel to change my display on the instrument cluster from the default temperature and time, to the digital speed option, it doesn't save this once I turn the car off and back on later.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

How old is the battery? Any Battery discharge warnings?
      11-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
jalyousef
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
How old is the battery? Any Battery discharge warnings?
The battery is around 2 years old I'd say....no discharge warnings.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Are the interior lights turning on when you unlock the car after it's been sitting? How about welcome lights?

Any loss of time on the clock?

Both of the OEM, properly coded batteries that died on my car after a couple years each, made the car go into conservation mode and it started exhibiting weird symptoms like that with no codes, which is why I got fed up after the second one started getting low and bought a lifepo battery because I figured it couldn't possibly be any worse and I was right, it's better, good riddance OEM batteries

I can't say I noticed the instrument cluster thing but it seems like the same sort of "oh shit the battery's getting low so I'm not going to bother saving this in a profile and just power off that module" thing
      11-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
jalyousef
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Are the interior lights turning on when you unlock the car after it's been sitting? How about welcome lights?

Both of the OEM, properly coded batteries that died on my car after a couple years each, made the car go into conservation mode and it started exhibiting weird symptoms like that with no codes, which is why I got fed up after the second one started getting low and bought a lifepo battery because I figured it couldn't possibly be any worse and I was right, it's better, good riddance OEM batteries

I can't say I noticed the instrument cluster thing but it seems like the same sort of "oh shit the battery's getting low so I'm not going to bother saving this in a profile and just power off that module" thing
Lights are still coming on....but...my clock has been losing significant time....like 10 minutes slower every 2-3 days...
So I'm thinking this could actually be the issue. My battery isn't "OEM from the dealer" but it's the same specs as OEM...I will see if I have any warranty left on the battery and update this thread if that was the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
jalyousef
Private
Rep

Just wanted to update in case anyone was facing this issue. It was because of the battery. I got it less than 3 years ago so they replaced it for free.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post

So you had symptoms of the car going into "conservation mode" and no discharge warning? Do you have iDrive? In my experience, I aways had yhe warning if the battery was low.

I almost went the LiPo route but my wife bought me a new battery as a present.. she is amazing lol. Ill go LiPo on the next one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyousef View Post
Just wanted to update in case anyone was facing this issue. It was because of the battery. I got it less than 3 years ago so they replaced it for free.

If the battery charge goes below 30% (based on voltage) the car will open relays for all modules except those that are essential to get in and start the car (in a nut-shell). The CCC/CIC with no power loses it clock, the cluster loses it last saved display option, comfort access doesn't work, for example. I always associated this with seeing the discharged batt warnings but, base on you and what richbot said, thats not always the case..?