BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #23
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
Easy. But you need the right tool. The front ring had holes larger than the rears and therefore I needed a different tool.

Before attempting to work on it, make sure you get the right plier for it and it fits. Otherwise a breeze. Remove the HEAT shield from the back too.

I am VERY VERY happy with this setup and no need for a BBK. Pads are hardly wearing now (in the front).

Lutfy
I am glad you are happy with that set up.
I am going with the same set up with the exeption of PFC pads. I still have a set of Pagid RS-19s from last year. Didnt like weird bedding procedure recommended by Pagid. I hear that PFC pads dont really need to be bedded in.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #24
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
The right tool is the pliers used to open up the clips, right?

You put these in front and back calipers? I thought they were for the front only where you'll gain the most benefit.

Thanks for your help
Bent Tip Snap Ring pliers they are called. I bought mine from amazon and then had to go to Pepboys to get the right size

Front and back. My rears were slight tapered as well when it came to wear.
The greatest benefit is now no more wiggling the caliper for the guides to hook. Press the caliper in, bolt up in a heart beat.

Get them front and rear, you'll be glad you did.

03///M3, did you notice the reduced wear? What was the greatest benefit for you? What fluid are you running?

Lutfy
Lufty
I didn't check the pads as I am leaving them in for at least the next two events. I actually purchased the guide pins for ease of mind after I read your review of them. I was strongly considering a front bbk but thought I would give this setup a try first. So far so good as long as the vibration goes away at my next track day. I am running SRF fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #25
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I run Project Mu pads with SRF (nothing else is changed) and if I use the brakes too much, they will start to shudder. However, the vibration is gone at the beginning of the next session.
      05-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

I don't have experience with 08 compound with these heavier cars, but I had the exact same issue when I had 06 pads. Even after all kinds of bedding-in & braking techniques, I would always get these vibrations after like 4-5 laps. Then I cool them and the vibrations are gone... rinse and repeat. Be it deposits or whatever, I switched to 01s, and everything now is as smooth as a hot knife on butter, all else being same. I'm even on Centric blank rotors and stock sliding calipers too. Just some food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
Lufty
I didn't check the pads as I am leaving them in for at least the next two events. I actually purchased the guide pins for ease of mind after I read your review of them. I was strongly considering a front bbk but thought I would give this setup a try first. So far so good as long as the vibration goes away at my next track day. I am running SRF fluid.
Okay I did six 20 mins session at summit point just now.

Some with students some alone. Brakes NEVER gave up the ghost. No fade no shudder. After 5 hours of track time, total since this install in March, on 08s, guide pins, Pfc rotors and heat shield removed, I can swear this is the bees knees for our cars.

Am very very happy with this setup now with lots of confidence (consistent stop and pedal feel). No nervousness as before.

I intend to run pagid yellow next and leave them as I am tired of pad swaps. But overall happy now with over 500 track miles, in total over month and a half, to report. Rotors look fairly Fresh too. Pf08 just 50 percent worn! Even pad wear front and rear. This is possibly because the cross drilled rear rotors are chewing up pads (in my previous m3 race car it was 2:1 f r wear).

Cheers

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #28
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I know people here swear by the direct drive rotors...I think they are hot garbage. I had the originals and they've brought V3 to market since. They were on my E46 330 which had a BBK that used the E46M3 front rotors. After 3 events the rotors were cracked to a point where I had to toss them with PF01s. Not to mention my pads were toast too. And then...I was dealing with this pad deposit issue at every event (2 events were a 1 day event). I went to the OEM E46 M3 euro rotor with the slightly better results.

I know I'm the minority here and most people like them but...I have my opinions. You shouldn't consistently be getting pad deposits on the track.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #29
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

PFC did recommend cleaning the rear rotors with a Brillo pad to clean the surface due to possible old pad deposits from my prior stoptech pads. Has anyone tried this?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #30
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Lufty
Okay I did six 20 mins session at summit point just now.

Some with students some alone. Brakes NEVER gave up the ghost. No fade no shudder. After 5 hours of track time, total since this install in March, on 08s, guide pins, Pfc rotors and heat shield removed, I can swear this is the bees knees for our cars.

Am very very happy with this setup now with lots of confidence (consistent stop and pedal feel). No nervousness as before.

I intend to run pagid yellow next and leave them as I am tired of pad swaps. But overall happy now with over 500 track miles, in total over month and a half, to report. Rotors look fairly Fresh too. Pf08 just 50 percent worn! Even pad wear front and rear. This is possibly because the cross drilled rear rotors are chewing up pads (in my previous m3 race car it was 2:1 f r wear).

Cheers

Lutfy
What tires are you running? I am curious if these rotors can hold up to R-comp.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #31
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
After my second session it's better but not gone. I'm really hoping its gone by mid third session.

I've tried stabbing the brakes however it's not helping.

Yes the guide pins where lubricated.

I called PFC and they think it's due to the previous pad compounds not agreeing with the new PFC pads. They said it should go away after using for some time. If not to use a Brillo pad or scotch pad to clean the rotors from any left over pad material. My front rotors are new PFC direct drive however my rears I did use stoptech street pads on. Maybe that's the issue.
I had exactly the same problem with the same setup minus the guide pins...

Took 4 30 minute sessions on track for it to go away.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #32
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Don't laugh but 400 miles on Michelin pilot as3. One day on ra1.

The as3s were only a second slower compared to balding ra1 (in my case) 1.25.4 vs 1.24.2 at summit main.

Don't over think it. The setup works. PF is well known and I trust Bimmerworld.

Mind you vln 24 hr m3 run on this setup with stock caliper too.

You'll be okay. I will have someone else chime in with appropriate feedback.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #33
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Don't laugh but 400 miles on Michelin pilot as3. One day on ra1.

The as3s were only a second slower compared to balding ra1 (in my case) 1.25.4 vs 1.24.2 at summit main.

Don't over think it. The setup works. PF is well known and I trust Bimmerworld.

Mind you vln 24 hr m3 run on this setup with stock caliper too.

You'll be okay. I will have someone else chime in with appropriate feedback.

Lutfy
How is pad life compared to using the stock rotors? My pads only last 1 to 1.5 days
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #34
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How is pad life compared to using the stock rotors? My pads only last 1 to 1.5 days
I went through burning a set of 08s or pagids to the metal (almost) each weekend (circa 200 track miles) to now 500 miles and now pads half worn (as evidenced in pic). This is the greatest savings in $ terms.

Stock Rotors with 500 miles and PF with 500 miles. No more boiling of fluids too (could be a combo of removed backing plate at back with better rotor vanes cannot say which is contributing by how much). Stock cheese grater rotors chew up pads.

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 05-05-2014 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #35
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I know people here swear by the direct drive rotors...I think they are hot garbage. I had the originals and they've brought V3 to market since. They were on my E46 330 which had a BBK that used the E46M3 front rotors. After 3 events the rotors were cracked to a point where I had to toss them with PF01s. Not to mention my pads were toast too. And then...I was dealing with this pad deposit issue at every event (2 events were a 1 day event). I went to the OEM E46 M3 euro rotor with the slightly better results.

I know I'm the minority here and most people like them but...I have my opinions. You shouldn't consistently be getting pad deposits on the track.
Bigjae,

Since this is not a vendor endorsed forum, will share a little secret.

The reason I went with pf is because it was cost effective to get the 2 piece as a whole. In the event these rotors are shot, I will be getting custom rings made. Just blanks with no dimples etc, heat treated to last longer. Circa 125ish each (haven't check recent rates but that was back a few years ago).

Coleman Racing makes it and it's a lil secret in the racing community. Send them your current worn rings and they custom make the rings for pretty much any size specs. Long term even with BBK or these, one shouldn't be paying north of 150 a ring.

Reputable shop, they make rotors for Nascar and also Prodrive. I have had success with them for my Sti Project Mu
Kit (couldn't find rings) and a variety of BMWCCa CMod racers I knew did the same.

There you have it

http://www.colemanracing.com/Custom-...ild-It-W9.aspx

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Bigjae,

The reason I went with pf is because it was cost effective to get the 2 piece as a whole. In the event these rotors are shot, I will be getting custom rings made. Just blanks with no dimples etc, heat treated to last longer. Circa 125ish each (haven't check recent rates but that was back a few years ago).

Coleman Racing makes it and it's a lil secret in the racing community. Send them your current worn rings and they custom make the rings for pretty much any size specs. Long term even with BBK or these, one shouldn't be paying north of 150 a ring.

Reputable shop, they make rotors for Nascar and also Prodrive. I have had success with them for my Sti Project Mu
Kit (couldn't find rings) and a variety of BMWCCa CMod racers I knew did the same.

There you have it

Lutfy
Hey lufty, this is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #37
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

Bigjae,

There you have it

Lutfy
Great info! Thanks!!!

Not sure if they can make the patented aerorotor from Stoptech
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 05-06-2014 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #38
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I contacted Coleman to get a sense of pricing -- I get the sense that they don't really keep records of rotor specs and instead just make them based on what you send in. So for example if you (Lufty) sent in a pair of PFC DD V2 rings, someone else wouldn't be able to order the same ones 3 month later based on the specs you submitted. Is this correct?

Quote:
Bigjae,

There you have it

Lutfy

Last edited by ayao; 05-06-2014 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #39
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I contacted Coleman to get a sense of pricing -- I get the sense that they don't really keep records of rotor specs and instead just make them based on what you send in. So for example if you (Lufty) sent in a pair of PFC DD V2 rings, someone else wouldn't be able to order the same ones 3 month later based on the specs you submitted. Is this correct?
That is correct. And for future order I call them and they have the spec saved under my order, and another set prepared and dispatched (send original only once). Did you speak with Troy?

I can send you the specs which you then share with them not the other way around.

They do it for proprietory reasons. Since they make rotors for a few known brands, this way there is no conflict.

Bigjae, did they tell you they can't do aero? I'd be surprised as we had excellent result with them in the past (I was a co founder for a known bmw shop in Dubai and would order often).

I am certainly going this route again. Thought I'd share with folks who share the same passion: track junkies

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #40
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is correct. And for future order I call them and they have the spec saved under my order, and another set prepared and dispatched (send original only once). Did you speak with Troy?

I can send you the specs which you then share with them not the other way around.

They do it for proprietory reasons. Since they make rotors for a few known brands, this way there is no conflict.

Bigjae, did they tell you they can't do aero? I'd be surprised as we had excellent result with them in the past (I was a co founder for a known bmw shop in Dubai and would order often).

I am certainly going this route again. Thought I'd share with folks who share the same passion: track junkies

Cheers,

Lutfy
Do you mind sharing the specs here?

I also use the PFC Direct Drive Rotors for my e90 M3, and would love to buy a lower cost ring replacement alternative now that I have the reusable hat already!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #41
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
Do you mind sharing the specs here?

I also use the PFC Direct Drive Rotors for my e90 M3, and would love to buy a lower cost ring replacement alternative now that I have the reusable hat already!!!
I have not worn out my current PFC set. I believe a bunch of us can benefit from this. Do you still have the worn rings? You can mail it to Coleman and I can order a set with you (in advance). Best to email me at alutfeali at g mail
And we can fill the rest of the folks in after (share specs).

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #42
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have not worn out my current PFC set. I believe a bunch of us can benefit from this. Do you still have the worn rings? You can mail it to Coleman and I can order a set with you (in advance). Best to email me at alutfeali at g mail
And we can fill the rest of the folks in after (share specs).

Cheers,

Lutfy
Ha...I thought yours were worn out!...

No...mine are still good also...was just planning ahead.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #43
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Lutfy -

I was in contact with Lary who kind of gave me an idea of how the process works.

Only foreseeable issue in future would be making sure people have the PFC DD rotor version correct ... V1 vs V2 and the upcoming V3. Could get confusing and lead to gnashing of teeth. Nonetheless I'm pretty excited about a relatively low-cost way to keep the track habit going.

I'd be happy to help defray shipping costs when the time comes. As of now my rotors have < 100 miles on them ... so quite a way to go, I think.

I'll point some of the 1M guys running PFCs to this thread as well!

Quote:

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #44
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan1hck View Post
I had exactly the same problem with the same setup minus the guide pins...

Took 4 30 minute sessions on track for it to go away.
same with me