BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Something happened to my car today....

So i'm closing in on 1200 miles and today i drove to work. then to an appointment. After my appointment, driving back to work, the car had changed, quite noticeably in fact. I've been somewhat disappointed with the throttle response right off of idle and not very impressed with the power deliver in the range of 4000 to 5500rmp..........Not any more.

This is my 4th M3 and the 3rd i've broken in. I've never felt a difference like this. Thinking back to the mileage this morning i passed 950 miles on the way to my appointment. It was after that when it started acting mad. I thought maybe it was just me, or the slightly cooler weather. (it's like 7 degrees cooler today) But after work heading home... it was still on crack. I've had sport/power engaged and DSC off every time i've driven it so far. This new difference in throttle response is like going from normal to sport/power. But it's already on?!?! The power deliver from 4000 to 5500rpm is what i had expected the car to feel like going from 5000 to 6500!

I'm very in tune with my cars, and i have no explanation for the difference in power and throttle response. My only guess is that there is something that unleashes after a set mileage is reached. I would have guessed it would be 1200 miles though, or something the tech programed during the 1200 mile service.

I do like the difference and can't hardly wait for my 1200 miles service.
      03-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Actually, I went past 1000 miles last week and noticed the same thing.. The car had been so sluggish in it's throttle response then suddenly it felt like a different car after passing 1000 miles.. I'm still thinking it's my imagination tho..

After I did my 1200 mile service this week I noticed my car was quieter but nothing else really different..

--mike
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Ok, just to clear things up, I reallu doubt it has anything to do with milage. HOWEVER, I myself feel a difference sometimes as well. Im at 10,000 miles and for some reason sometimes it feels as if the car is a bit sluggish and other times as if its on crack. I have been monitoring the weather, to c if mayb the cooler weather has anything to do with it,but its deff not it. I will also add that the difference is quite noticeable. No effin clue what it can be, but its deff not milage.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
rideontwo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VaNOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
So i'm closing in on 1200 miles and today i drove to work. then to an appointment. After my appointment, driving back to work, the car had changed, quite noticeably in fact. I've been somewhat disappointed with the throttle response right off of idle and not very impressed with the power deliver in the range of 4000 to 5500rmp..........Not any more.

This is my 4th M3 and the 3rd i've broken in. I've never felt a difference like this. Thinking back to the mileage this morning i passed 950 miles on the way to my appointment. It was after that when it started acting mad. I thought maybe it was just me, or the slightly cooler weather. (it's like 7 degrees cooler today) But after work heading home... it was still on crack. I've had sport/power engaged and DSC off every time i've driven it so far. This new difference in throttle response is like going from normal to sport/power. But it's already on?!?! The power deliver from 4000 to 5500rpm is what i had expected the car to feel like going from 5000 to 6500!

I'm very in tune with my cars, and i have no explanation for the difference in power and throttle response. My only guess is that there is something that unleashes after a set mileage is reached. I would have guessed it would be 1200 miles though, or something the tech programed during the 1200 mile service.

I do like the difference and can't hardly wait for my 1200 miles service.
Majority of the time things like this, reaching a specific mileage (usually 1000-1500) can be attributed to the Catalytic Converters finally breaking in. I have experienced this first hand, although not with an M but rather with my Audi and Subaru. The most interesting thing was the different grumble from the motor. Take it for its worth, or maybe you car is indeed Mad.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I'm dropping it off for 1200 mile service tomorrow, so i'll be experiencing full on madness tomorrow afternoon.
      03-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Someone installed a supercharger in your m3 while you were at an appointment. Those damn teenagers always messing with our cars.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      03-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Got the 1200 miles service done, car feels exactly the same as before.