BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #1
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Steering Creak

I'm getting a creaking sound from the front of the car when I turn the steering wheel left or right when the car is stationary or low speed. While driving it feels fine.

The sound is not interior sound, sounds like it's coming from front suspension or steering rack. Power steering rack had a leak and was serviced recently. PS fluid is full. Car has Ohlins R/T and front monoballs.

Saw a few threads on this with no real resolution. Has anyone experienced this before?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

My front monoballs were causing this exact issue on a previous M3. On that car I had them installed by a local shop into my existing control arms, and something about the install process and the fact that they are aluminum arms created a bit of play between the monoball and the arm, caused slow speed creaking, mainly heard when exiting a driveway or articulating the suspension in some way at slow speeds.

This time around I went with new arms and monoballs from GAS and haven't experienced a similar issue, they have documented some of the extra care they take and what they recommend doing when installing into existing arms, worth it to check out their materials and installation instructions. After my previous experience and just to refresh the other joint on my arms I went new this time, ymmv.
      09-13-2021, 01:06 PM   #3
jun_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Check the power steering pump oil pipe joint gasket, there may be air leakage.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Could also be your front springs turning slightly in their perches … just ordered a set of 65mm Swift thrust sheets to install in my lower perches when I do my spring swap with better street manners in mind. My GC camber plates do have OE-BMW bearings in them already but I wasn't running anything on the lower perches previously.
      09-14-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
My front monoballs were causing this exact issue on a previous M3. On that car I had them installed by a local shop into my existing control arms, and something about the install process and the fact that they are aluminum arms created a bit of play between the monoball and the arm, caused slow speed creaking, mainly heard when exiting a driveway or articulating the suspension in some way at slow speeds.

This time around I went with new arms and monoballs from GAS and haven't experienced a similar issue, they have documented some of the extra care they take and what they recommend doing when installing into existing arms, worth it to check out their materials and installation instructions. After my previous experience and just to refresh the other joint on my arms I went new this time, ymmv.
Interesting. In your previous M3 did it get worse over time? If it's only at low speeds I can probably live with it as its not really audible outside the car. As long as it doesn't get worse or damage something (like the monoball bore on the tension arm).

Will also check for possible air leak on the steering rack.
Appreciate 0