BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #67
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd501 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jala View Post
Regarding the cup holders, I was going to say I actually like them way better than the ones in the central console. Driving on the highway and trying to find your coffee while you look straight, lol.
Coming from an E46, those cup holders (center console / armrest) were useless. There's a reason it's an armrest; if you actually had anything in there, it would hit your arm and interfere with shifting. You'd have to shift with your arm at a 45º angle to avoid it.
Yes exactly. I owned a 330 and whenever I had my coffee in there, felt like 18 wheeler hour. When my wife wanted to put her drink there fuggedaboutit :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:10 AM   #68
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
One more comment . . .

Some have confused torque with throttle tip-in. A lot of people think Subarus and RAV4s have a perception of lot of torque because they have aggressive throttle profiles.

Play around with the M setting for "power." It won't give you more power, but it will alter the profile for the pedal-to-throttle. It may be that you just don't like the stock setting.

I had it on max for awhile and went back to the base setting. It was too jumpy for me at the higher settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #69
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

Like many have said, THE PROBLEM MAY BE YOUR TIRES.

An E92 335i M Sport or 335is will have massive torque right off idle and 75% of
the awesomeness of an M3.

I have the base stereo in my M3 and it sounds exactly like the H-K stereo in my 335is.
It sounds good to me.

I've owned 2 MR2s, a Civic, a G35, an Evolution VIII, a Sentra SE-R Spec V, a Mazda 6S, a C5 Corvette, 2 Camaros and 4 BMWs...the M3 is the best of both worlds...luxurious interior, sexy exterior and is one of the best handling cars ever built.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #70
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

I agree with OP on the sound system. I had an Acura TLX with the EPS system and it sounded wayyyy better.

Low Tq is a thing. Get an Alpine ECU + DCT tune and throw some new spark plugs in there too. That helped mine a lot, on the d3 setting I can accelerate so smooth to 45-50, its effortless shifiting around 3k.

For suspension, maybe your struts are on their way out too. I know mine were at 60k.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #71
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Don't drive in D1 ever. It turns the M into a Prius. I do D2 for first 5 minutes warmup then D4 for 5 minutes or so then manual S4 or 5. If you must keep it in auto, I always do D4 and certainly never lower than D3. Even D4 keeps the revs way too low.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #72
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

To hell with a sound system in this legal race car. Every time I find myself raising the volume for a song..... minutes later im turning it down or even completely off just so I can hear this beast breath in oxygen as it roars up to 8k+
Appreciate 4
Law6381.00
DrFerry6728.50
cjm41752.50
b4hand661.00
      11-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #73
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I just bought my M3 as well. When I test drove it, honestly, I was underwhelmed with the torque. That's because I was comparing it to my friend's 911 turbo S. It felt "too big" switching lanes, weaving in and out of traffic compared to my Z4 3.0si. Still, I bought the damn thing. I've always wanted an E92 M3, even though I really didn't know what owning one would bring. I figured I'd get used to it and just needed to push it.

I drove it down from Syracuse, NY to Mooresville, NC and the ride was awesome. The roar of that motor while you just keep picking up speed is amazing. I could change lanes at high speeds and climb those hills without a problem. The car just feels more planted than my Z4 at high speeds - even on curves.

The ride quality, I was ok with. It's supposed to be a sports sedan. Sports car are supposed to feel firm. My Z4 actually was a lot stiffer and felt more harsh with the OEM suspension. I've since upgraded to H&R coilovers.

For everyday driving around town, the M3 is too much. I can't enjoy it. You really need to push the car to get full enjoyment. It's not like in the Z4, I can push the car and enjoy the purr of the inline 6 without worrying that all of a sudden I'm doubling the speed limit. The Z4 is so much more nimble and I'm still in love with the MT.

I'm keeping both.
      11-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #74
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

To be honest I don't enjoy driving the car unless I have a full exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #75
Kamen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I love my M3, but if someone says that it's comfortable I get perplexed. Maybe relatively comfortable, but comfortable? I can think of places with old, beat up roads , where I definitely wouldn't own an M3 - not because I care about comfort, but because I wouldn't wanna turn the car into a rattle box. To begin with, any car with 30-35 profile tires cannot be comfortable - you feel every crack or bump on the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #76
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Not yet....

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #77
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have an 08 535xit with JB4. Much nicer cruiser than my 08M3. Slower but easier to drive. I also have a turbo 99M3 that will run down almost every car on the road (135 mph 1/4 trap) but the 0M3 feels like a luxo barge in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 01:54 AM   #78
Immy68
Rep
Drives: m3

I think I figured why I think the car feels so rough. It is the DCT!!!

This is the first time driving a DCT and going back and forth from my econbox it feels very similar in ride quality, however when I drive the m3 and everytime it shifts around the 1st and 2nd gear there is some jerkiness to it.

Also the 19 inch wheels also seem to be a major factor.

Is there anything I can do to "master" the dct to make it more smoother? Drivelogic in setting 2?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #79
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
It really sounds like you should sell it and buy a comfortable trophy car with a stereo you like. You've learned the hard way, but you should just get what you actually want.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #80
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

The DCT IS a tad jerky and clunky at "normal" use, comes with the design. Except for the lag between forward/reverse I say you get used to it, I even enjoy it. Once you come up in rev and put some load on it you realize what it is; a racy box designed for a racy engine.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #81
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy68 View Post
I'm surprised you feel rav 4 and camrys feel worst then the m3? I've driven both these cars a lot and they are way more comfortable then the m3. I'm sure my suspension is fine as I did a 55 point PPI before I bought this car. My EPS sounds fine, it's just not AS good or worth the extra money compared to other cars with similar value, or lower value. It might just be the loud sound of the engine and exhaust that you can't really make use of the sound system in the car.

I will probably keep driving this car. In the future though, I probably would be trading it in for a macan S.

Eh..my whole family tends to agree with you OP, the ride quality is closer to that of a true sports car vs. a luxury sedan and I do not use my m3 as my daily, it's too uncomfortable (taught suspension), labor intensive (6mt so got to stay in the powerband), rather expensive to maintain (gas$$, brakes and rotors all around ~ $2k at indy shop) and powerful for DD IMO. Steptronic 08' Audi a4 for that with a nice soft ride, way cheaper to maintain and way less power in comparison. Its quite old, but "comfier" than my m3.

The audi is an appliance, the m3 is a sports sedan. It sounds like you need something a little less raw like a Lexus IS-F or more appliance-ish like a gs350.

If you feel like the m3 slow, you probably are not driving it properly, especially with the dct, which makes the e92 m3 very, very quick in comparison to most cars out there. Practice with it for a bit and you will grow to love it dearly. I came from a tuned and modified 2011 Subaru Sti and I, like you, felt that the m3 was slow in comparison but it's not. The car takes method and skill to drive properly, but when you learn how to do so, it's immensely rewarding for the enthusiast.

Honestly however, if you just bought it to look cool around town and show off that you have/can afford an older m3, you are barking up the wrong tree. You probably should have picked up an F82 m3 which has cooler, newer, wow factor and the speed you are looking for. Most females are not really impressed by our older m3s at this point, since to them it's just an older BMW. Only guys and the automotive enthusiast are impressed.

The e9x m3 really is a drivers car that takes skill, patience and time to learn how to extract true potential from. Just from your posts and personal admissions, it does not sound like that is what you are really looking for. I mean honestly, you are a young guy and I'm sure a large bulk of your showing off around town thing has a lot to do with the ladies (I assume amyway). Get something newer that you can actually use to pull those females (or whomever). C'mon man...what are you thinking? The e9x m3 is almost 2 gens old at this point. You need to aim 2016 and up for the effect you desire. Just my 0.02.

Last edited by srmast1; 11-17-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
Aries326195.00
      11-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #82
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Just back from town shopping. For that kind of daily I never understood the lack of grunt, the car is - specially now at low temps - bloody fast at any situation. Now travelling at high way speed with 3-4 persons in the car is a different story and sure Id easily could wish for more both torque and power.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #83
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmast1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy68 View Post
I'm surprised you feel rav 4 and camrys feel worst then the m3? I've driven both these cars a lot and they are way more comfortable then the m3. I'm sure my suspension is fine as I did a 55 point PPI before I bought this car. My EPS sounds fine, it's just not AS good or worth the extra money compared to other cars with similar value, or lower value. It might just be the loud sound of the engine and exhaust that you can't really make use of the sound system in the car.

I will probably keep driving this car. In the future though, I probably would be trading it in for a macan S.

Eh..my whole family tends to agree with you OP, the ride quality is closer to that of a true sports car vs. a luxury sedan and I do not use my m3 as my daily, it's too uncomfortable (taught suspension), labor intensive (6mt so got to stay in the powerband), rather expensive to maintain (gas$$, brakes and rotors all around ~ $2k at indy shop) and powerful for DD IMO. Steptronic 08' Audi a4 for that with a nice soft ride, way cheaper to maintain and way less power in comparison. Its quite old, but "comfier" than my m3.

The audi is an appliance, the m3 is a sports sedan. It sounds like you need something a little less raw like a Lexus IS-F or more appliance-ish like a gs350.

If you feel like the m3 slow, you probably are not driving it properly, especially with the dct, which makes the e92 m3 very, very quick in comparison to most cars out there. Practice with it for a bit and you will grow to love it dearly. I came from a tuned and modified 2011 Subaru Sti and I, like you, felt that the m3 was slow in comparison but it's not. The car takes method and skill to drive properly, but when you learn how to do so, it's immensely rewarding for the enthusiast.

Honestly however, if you just bought it to look cool around town and show off that you have/can afford an older m3, you are barking up the wrong tree. You probably should have picked up an F82 m3 which has cooler, newer, wow factor and the speed you are looking for. Most females are not really impressed by our older m3s at this point, since to them it's just an older BMW. Only guys and the automotive enthusiast are impressed.

The e9x m3 really is a drivers car that takes skill, patience and time to learn how to extract true potential from. Just from your posts and personal admissions, it does not sound like that is what you are really looking for. I mean honestly, you are a young guy and I'm sure a large bulk of your showing off around town thing has a lot to do with the ladies (I assume amyway). Get something newer that you can actually use to pull those females (or whomever). C'mon man...what are you thinking? The e9x m3 is almost 2 gens old at this point. You need to aim 2016 and up for the effect you desire. Just my 0.02.
Meh. Women don't give a crap about any BMW, period. Sure a new one conveys that you're doing something right in life (at least that you have good credit and can afford a good-sized car payment), but if it's not a Lamborghini, Ferrari, sometimes Porsche, you're gonna have to put the work in, the car isn't going to do it for you.

Fortunately I'm 35 and kinda over the "impress other people" — I'd rather my car make a connection with another car weirdo then some shallow chick.

That said- in the last two months I've had people in public compliment my car. Twice at red lights, three times at the grocery store. On a couple of occasions I've had women with me.

The M3 compliments I get from other car weirdos, especially when they engage and ask questions about it, does more for how someone might view me on less of a shallow level. I'm not just some prick in some expensive new car trying to show off, instead I sought out my car with intent and am passionate about the historical significance of the last M3 coupe, the last naturally aspirated M car, the fact that the color is more rare, and that my intentions are to keep the car.

To me, that's more respectable and does more for my "cred" then a yellow Ferrari would do. At least to someone who's worth my time.

The only downside to the E9x right now is that it's too new to be a classic, to old to be new- so you've got to be passionate about the car to have it right now- that's the only way it'll work in your favor if you're trying to let the car play to who you are or have the car influence people's perceptions of you.

I'm more of a classic 911 type guy. I've got a large record collection, I like tedious, expensive hobbies. I like history, and get really into the historical significance of stuff.

But I'm also a car freak that wants a loud go-fast car. The e92 M3 was it for me. I'm just as happy to downshift and punch it in a tunnel as I am discussing the significance of the M3 in Motorsport history.
      11-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #84
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
Meh. Women don't give a crap about any BMW, period. Sure a new one conveys that you're doing something right in life (at least that you have good credit and can afford a good-sized car payment), but if it's not a Lamborghini, Ferrari, sometimes Porsche, you're gonna have to put the work in, the car isn't going to do it for you.

Fortunately I'm 35 and kinda over the "impress other people" — I'd rather my car make a connection with another car weirdo then some shallow chick.

That said- in the last two months I've had people in public compliment my car. Twice at red lights, three times at the grocery store. On a couple of occasions I've had women with me.

The M3 compliments I get from other car weirdos, especially when they engage and ask questions about it, does more for how someone might view me on less of a shallow level. I'm not just some prick in some expensive new car trying to show off, instead I sought out my car with intent and am passionate about the historical significance of the last M3 coupe, the last naturally aspirated M car, the fact that the color is more rare, and that my intentions are to keep the car.

To me, that's more respectable and does more for my "cred" then a yellow Ferrari would do. At least to someone who's worth my time.

The only downside to the E9x right now is that it's too new to be a classic, to old to be new- so you've got to be passionate about the car to have it right now- that's the only way it'll work in your favor if you're trying to let the car play to who you are or have the car influence people's perceptions of you.

I'm more of a classic 911 type guy. I've got a large record collection, I like tedious, expensive hobbies. I like history, and get really into the historical significance of stuff.

But I'm also a car freak that wants a loud go-fast car. The e92 M3 was it for me. I'm just as happy to downshift and punch it in a tunnel as I am discussing the significance of the M3 in Motorsport history.

Well said (typed?) Lol
+1
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      11-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #85
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
The comfort mode with ZCP is, in terms of sports/sporty cars, reasonable. If your benchmark was a Civic, you will be disappointed. I think something like an Audi S4 would be more to your liking. Or you can go drive a 911 and think your M3 is a Buick in comparison.

I’m chuckling that you selected an M3, given that your normal profile is cruising around listening to music. I’m one of the older guys on this forum and take it easy most of the time, but I think the ride quality is the perfect compromise between handling and comfort and think the S65 is the best song on the radio.
+1 from another old guy on the "Song of the S65" being among the Greatest Hits.
      11-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #86
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

I hate taking out the Ferrari bc of the limited trunk space. Why would they design a car with such small trunk. Agh. I feel you. Sports cars suck.
      11-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #87
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Get a GTS tune for your DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #88
Conzyo
Pho is yummy
United_States
Rep