BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #23
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Op go get a lexus. A sports car is not for you my friend. Every true sport car will be stiff.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #24
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
The car is a great balance between power, looks, reliability & driveability. I'm actually surprised how well its aged for me.
Agreed. I'm kind of a snob and like the newest stuff... but I believe that BMW and the M division really hit the nail on the head creating a design that'll ultimately be somewhat timeless. Every time I look at the car I'm a bit taken back by how well every piece works together (and I'm a creative person so I can be super judgemental about design, and appreciate that the car seems to be aggressive in some places, reserved in others, which will lend itself to aging quite well). Cars like the new cadillacs look super cool but will look like garbage in 10 years.

I don't know if it'll be quite as timeless as the e30, but I'm sure in 2030 it'll still look good.

Funny side note, there some girl driving a e90 328 sedan a few spots away from me in my building. I'm out there wiping the car down the other day and she goes "I love your car, I want to get a brand new one too" and I was like "yeah, it's the same year as yours" haha.

Timeless. Good job M division.
      11-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #25
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy68 View Post
Negatives:

1. Ride quality.

2. Low torque.

3. Speakers.

Positives:
1. Fuel economy.

2. Cup holders.

3. Exterior Design
Keep RPM band higher in driving (keep one gear lower than you would other cars). 1st has plenty of torque multiplication. If you drove it more like this, you would be less impressed with Fuel Economy. The fact that you find fuel economy positive, you probably are driving the car in general at too high a gear.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #26
SkysTheLimit
Mspired
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3 Coupe

E92 335i is the answer to nearly all of your questions. You can even get the M Sport package to have a "cool" look.

I had a 335i before my M3 and honestly I love both for different reasons.

But seriously, 1.) ride quality is better due to the softer suspension, 2.) it has mountains of torque in a very wide range of RPM, and 3.) with the Logic7 audio I doubt you will complain.

1.) fuel economy is better, 2.) it has the same cup holders, and 3.) it share the exterior minus the slightly wider flares of the M3, which, as mentioned you can get the M Sport package to get the nicer bumpers and wheels. If it really bothered you that much, there are replica M3 bumpers you can add on.

It would be a better option if these are your primary concerns and you could even save some money, as it sounds like your M3 is a desirable example. "Sports" cars are not for everyone, and that is why we have options to appeal to different tastes. No hard feelings.
Gone but not forgotten: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP DCT, 2007 E92 335i, 2006 E90 325i, 1998 E36 M3, 1999 E36 323is
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      11-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #27
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

11-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #28
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

I guess its relative based on the cars you've owned previously and what you are accustomed to. If the cars you’ve owned in the past are basic commuters then the M3 will feel uncomfortable to you. If you owned cars with after market audio systems then the speakers will not be on par. This is a high revving engine so yes, the engine will lack torque. I personally came from a G35 coupe and the ride felt rougher on that car. My transition to my non-edc e90 M3 was great. The M3 felt way more comfortable. I have the basic speakers and they get the job done for me. It’s hard to tell what a car will be like from one test drive but as many have already said a sports car will be more focused on the performance aspect and not on ride comfort or how speaker quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #29
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit View Post
E92 335i is the answer to nearly all of your questions. You can even get the M Sport package to have a "cool" look.
This is exactly what I thought as I was reading through the OP. Or something a little larger and cushier like a V8 5-series with sport package.

Personally, I find the e9x M3 to have an excellent ride. Similar to the 997 carreras I drove and MUCH better than my '12 Mustang GT with koni/steeda springs. I also spent a week in a C63 and found the ride in that to be almost unbearable---and that was on fairly smooth northern Ca roads.

It also depends on the types of roads you're driving on. No sports/performance car is going to handle big or sharp road imperfection very well. A large stretch of road by my house was torn up all summer to replace sewer pipes. What a cluster that was and bumps that had me concerned about all sorts of damage on the M3 were taken so much more softly when I was driving my SO Hyundai Tucson SUV. It was like a different world. Having written that, the overall ride is vastly superior vs the Tucson on decent roads.

So, if the the city the OP is driving in has a bunch of torn up roads, a sports cars ain't the right tool for the job. I might consider something like an M5 as well, but for sure would want to drive it around a bit before pulling the trigger.

As far as torque is concerned, the engine in these cars was also about 100 lbs/ft below the previously mentioned mustang. And yet, I really don't feel the difference, likely due to the gearing (the coyote is still a fairly high strung motor, but not to the degree of the S65). 90% of the torque in the engine is available at about 3500 rpms, meaning there's decent pull in the mid range. However, the car is best experienced when driven a gear lower than you might otherwise in more traditional cars. The current crop of turbo powered cars nicely addresses the low torque aspects of many previous cars, like ours.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I don't think you bought the wrong car, you just need to get used to it. Report back in 30 days, how much you love it.
      11-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #31
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

The S65 is one of the most thrilling motors ever designed by man.... but only from 6k rpm and up. This can make the car very frustrating, and feel downright slow, in normal life.

This is why I sold mine.

Edit 1: This was bone stock. I never experienced pipes/tune which "appear" to wake up the midrange considerably. I may be back in one one day because other than the sleepy midrange, I quite like the E9XM. It's a fantastic all around M car.

Edit 2: I think BMW really hosed the 6MT trans ratios as they're hopelessly mismatched to the S65. The gears are way to long with too much spacing... exactly the opposite of what a low torque/high rpm motor needs, which is short/close ratios. DCT is the way to go in this car if you want actual engine response below 6k.

Last edited by EricSMG; 11-15-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #32
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Immy68

Coming from Japanese econoboxes you probably aren't use to the less sensitive throttle on euro cars, try pushing the Power button for sport mode throttle sensitively. Increase your DCT shift settings or try manual shifting, D2 is probably only good for stop and go traffic.

Very few Honda/Toyota/Lexus etc make more or even close to 295ft-lb of torque nor do they had as flat of a tq curve, so I'm not sure what kinda of car you are coming from to think you feel there is lower tq, more than likely you aren't driving it right.

I've always been impressed at how comfortable the stock EDC or ZCP suspension is in these cars and how capable they are. IMO you won't find a better overwall package.

Perhaps you might be better off leasing a new 320i or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #33
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Give it some time. M3 is not a car that wows you immediately but once you get to know it better, you'll start to understand why people here are so vigorously defending it against even the mildest criticisms.

I suggest looking into 18 inch wheels. You can use it for snow tires which you will need and will help soften the ride.

To those who say " buy a lexus!" IS F is actually a pretty decent alternative with better daily drivability.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #34
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Give it some time. M3 is not a car that wows you immediately but once you get to know it better, you'll start to understand why people here are so vigorously defending it against even the mildest criticisms.
I would agree with this for sure. This is true for the E46M, E9XM and F8XM. None of these cars wow at first and some of them (F8XM and E9XM) are quite disappointing at first blush.

But these cars are multi-dimensional and it takes time/miles to really understand them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #35
M.Power
Գեվոջանյան
Rep
Drives: 2022 LP650 Urus/2023 F93 M8

I find my M3 to be a very big upgrade in comfort/ride quality over my old 335i.. With that being said, it definitely won't feel as comfortable as a Lexus, but whats the fun in that .
wfdeacon881105.00
      11-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #36
L1FHR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3

If you want comfort don’t buy M3 lol. It’s a sports luxury car. Keyword “sport”. If you want comfy buy a normal non “M” car or go buy a Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #37
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

I do understand where the OP is coming from. When I first got into my E92 I was surprised by how much of the road I felt and how much road noise there was. I'm not complaining just surprised. Owned my car for 4 years now and still love it.

Some people look at the BMW badge and think they get everything in one package. At the end of the day the E92 M is still a 3 series. This is why they have the M5 and M6. You want power and comfort you have to step out of the 3 series. Things have gotten better in terms of comfort in the newer M3s, but this is why car manufacturers have different car segments.
      11-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #38
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Some people look at the BMW badge and think they get everything in one package. At the end of the day the E92 M is still a 3 series. This is why they have the M5 and M6. You want power and comfort you have to step out of the 3 series. Things have gotten better in terms of comfort in the newer M3s, but this is why car manufacturers have different car segments.
The F8XM is a harder/harsher riding car than the E9XM. The latter is markedly more refined.

I would also like to point out that a standard 3 series is VASTLY more comfortable than its M-variant, same base chassis.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #39
blu3wolf
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy68 View Post
3. Speakers. I know this is a performance sports car and you should be listening to the engine. But to be honest sometimes I just want to cruise around town playing my favorite songs. It's very therapeutic for me and sadly the speakers in this car is a big dissapointment. I'm not sure if it's because of my EQ settings (I'm using the ones from this forum) but it's simply underwhelming compared to many cheaper cars. My car has EPS as well (the gold speakers)

This is the one thing i can agree with. I personally do not like EPS. I prefer what i had in my previous 335i (logic 7). I've tried multiple equalizer settings etc.. still just not to my liking. Could be the type of music I listen to, and my preference of bass so my expectations are different .....

As for ride quality i think its actually ok relative to what i've owned. Low end tq initially coming from boosted cars it took a while to get used to but now i am ok with it and love getting those revs up.

One thing i learned is you need some time with this car to really appreciate my initial impressions weren't the greatest, but after a month of ownership i dont think I ever want to get rid of this car now.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #40
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Your M3 is giggling at you right now saying to itself, "boyyyy if you can't handle the heat stay out the kitchen".

No, but really brotherin give it some time and search around the forums, you will surely come across lots of useful information when it comes to how to awaken the beast and its full potential.

One thing there is NO fix for is driving around the city. It sucks and you will never get to unlock ANY of the potential the s65 packs.

I say you get a bike for city commute (good exercise too, unless your work is way to far) and leave your M for weekend spirited drives on the outskirts of the city where you can open her up.

In conclusion, like many other members have already mentioned you need to learn how to drive this car in a completely different manner or you will be disappointed over and over again.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #41
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You wanted to drive a car that looks cool and you like the looks. Your primary purpose is met.

It’s the wrong car for you. Not sure why you bought. Consider test driving your next car more thoroughly.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 11-15-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #42
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Sounds like you mostly want more luxury out of your sports car. Get a Mercedes, maybe an AMG car. Way more torque, and more of a sporty luxury car than a luxury sports car. Or maybe an M5.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #43
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
my whole life all I've been driving are hondas, toyotas, lexus and such. You get the picture. Boring slow cars that have no personality or emotion to them.
Depression is an emotional state too.

Yeah I have to agree with many of the other replies here, it sounds like you needed to do a bit more research, and drive a few more cars, not just M3s but other makes and models.

I’ve swapped back and forth between cars with super punchy turbo and high-revving N/A motors, and the the turbos definitely win out in point to point city driving.

The low end torque is just better for that, and I guarantee I’d be quicker zipping around town in my 2016 125i that and I am in my E90 M3.

Was the same with my E46 M3 before that, it’s awesome up top, but not great low in the revs.

As for the suspension, the M3 rides firm, and 19 inch wheels don’t help. As other have said check that some dipstick hasn’t put too much air in the tyres or fitted run flats, M3s run standard tyres.

In any event it sounds like you’ve bought the wrong car in the pursuit of looking cool. Most people wouldn’t have any idea what you’re driving, so a 325i would have done the job of impressing the uninformed just as well.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      11-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #44
m3jala
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2013 BMW M3

Regarding the cup holders, I was going to say I actually like them way better than the ones in the central console. Driving on the highway and trying to find your coffee while you look straight, lol.
Appreciate 0