BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #89
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

By the way, for those of you questioning the weight of the 335i.
After this test by C&D I went to a California Certified Scale to weigh my 335i. Filled the tank to the top 2 miles from the scales.
Took everything out of it that wasn't from the factory.

Got 336x pounds (don't remember the last digit). Was within 6 lbs of what Car and Driver got when they weighed their test 335i as well.

I agree with what others have said. Many 335i owners CHOSE not to buy an M3 for cost savings, even though they had the money. Others didn't have the choice as they got their 335i's BEFORE the M3's were released and in this economy they aren't willing to lose so many thousands trading in the 335i to get an M3 even if they wanted too.

The post a few back by the BigTaste guy deserve retarded post of the year.

As for the VIR times, as I've stated many times before. It's as relevant as any track time tests you ever look at.
To discount any track times because it wasn't on the same day then one must discount ALL track times (Ring record times, Daytona record times, Indy record times, VIR record times, etc etc.)
And to state a list of track times from a track is worthless because they weren't all on the same day is as wrong as it gets. Obviously it's impossible to test every car ever made on the same day. Again, name a track anywhere in the world where the times different cars have gotten on it are "discounted" because they were all on the same day?
It could also be the individual cars performance as they vary greatly between each. As ssbripo and I discussed, you have to look at MANY variables and many tests. Doing that between the 135 and 335i pretty much show the two cars are very similiar in performance. 135i has the weight advantage. 335i has aerodynmics, weight distribution, and center of gravity advantages that pretty much offset the 135i's weight advantage.
M3 clearly handles better than both, as it should being an M car.

Car and Driver does not use one tester all the time. They hire many drivers for those big tests and they often try different drivers in each car to see who can get the best times in each car.

As I've said in the past too, and what I've asked BMW to do for the 2012 M3.
Make it a 3.4-3.5 liter Inline 6 engine that revs to 7400-7500 rpms. Put two small turbochargers on it so it has more low end thrust but still has the high rpm rush. Tune it so it has 425-430 hp and 390-400 lbs-ft torque. Drop 100-150 lbs off the curb weight of the current M3.
And still make it handle and feel like any other M car.
Sign me up!

Last edited by Driver72; 01-26-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #90
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK6 View Post
I just got a 335 and I'm looking for a M3 badge to put it on..
LOL... are you posting from Daytona right now?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #91
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK6 View Post
I just got a 335 and I'm looking for a M3 badge to put it on..
LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #92
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Not all 335i owners are wannabe m3 groupies and want to hump your leg. Maybe some of us do have a choice and chose to NOT get an m3.
You can go onto the BMWUSA.COM and configure an M3 Sedan starting at $55,675. You can configure a 335i Convertible for over $75,000. Keep in mind that this is comparing a base model M3 sedan to a loaded 335i convertible (the base model M3 convertible is $66,000). I know for a fact that there a lot of heavily optioned 335i convertibles on the road and BMW is still selling them. Obviously the peolple buying these cars (1) can afford an M3 and (2) chose not to buy one. Whatever their reasons were and whether you agree with them or not obviously the decision was not a financial one. A fully configured M3 Convertible is $81,820 (which IMO looks like a bargain compared to a $75,000 335i but apparently not everyone thinks that way).

I purchased my 335i Convertible in June of 2007. At that time the M3 was not yet available and it was not an option. I just checked my invoice from Braman Motocars (Palm Beach, Fl) and saw that the total price including NYS Sales Tax was $71,717. I then added another $12,000 or so in accessories, upgrades and warranties (196 rims, Radar/Detector/Laser Jammer, Wind Deflector, Fittted Luggage, Aero Lip, Extended Warranty, shipping from Florida to NYC, etc.) the car was close to $83,000.

In about 5 months the car will be 2 years old and I am considering replacing it with (among other possiblilities) an M3, If I do get an M3 it will be another fully optioned convertible. One big factor is whether the perfomance advantage (which I do not doubt) of an M3 over a 335 is something that I will take advantage of since it will be strictly a road car. If I do decide on an M3 I may wait a few extra months and get a 2010 model since I understand that there will be some significant changes.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-26-2009 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #93
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
By the way, for those of you questioning the weight of the 335i.
After this test by C&D I went to a California Certified Scale to weigh my 335i. Filled the tank to the top 2 miles from the scales.
Took everything out of it that wasn't from the factory.

Got 336x pounds (don't remember the last digit). Was within 6 lbs of what Car and Driver got when they weighed their test 335i as well.

I agree with what others have said. Many 335i owners CHOSE not to buy an M3 for cost savings, even though they had the money. Others didn't have the choice as they got their 335i's BEFORE the M3's were released and in this economy they aren't willing to lose so many thousands trading in the 335i to get an M3 even if they wanted too.

The post a few back by the BigTaste guy deserve retarded post of the year.
As for the VIR times, as I've stated many times before. It's as relevant as any track time tests you ever look at.
To discount any track times because it wasn't on the same day then one must discount ALL track times (Ring record times, Daytona record times, Indy record times, VIR record times, etc etc.) Obviously it's impossible to test every car ever made on the same day.
It could also be the individual cars performance as they vary greatly between each. As ssbripo and I discussed, you have to look at MANY variables and many tests. Doing that between the 135 and 335i pretty much show the two cars are very similiar in performance. 135i has the weight advantage. 335i has aerodynmics, weight distribution, and center of gravity advantages that pretty much offset the 135i's weight advantage.
M3 clearly handles better than both, as it should being an M car.

Car and Driver does not use one tester all the time. They hire many drivers for those big tests and they often try different drivers in each car to see who can get the best times in each car.

As I've said in the past too, and what I've asked BMW to do for the 2012 M3.
Make it a 3.4-3.5 liter Inline 6 engine that revs to 7400-7500 rpms. Put two small turbochargers on it so it has more low end thrust but still has the high rpm rush. Tune it so it has 425-430 hp and 390-400 lbs-ft torque. Drop 100-150 lbs off the curb weight of the current M3.
And still make it handle and feel like any other M car.
Sign me up!
Nailed it!

Let's hope BMW listens and goes that route with the next gen M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #94
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Nailed it!

Let's hope BMW listens and goes that route with the next gen M3.
why is your name 335 liver?

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #95
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
why is your name 335 liver?

Liver...no, ...lover. And yah, I'll have to change it to M3lvr if I go that route.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #96
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
+ 11tybillion!

I rather keep my X5 for the family + kids, drive the "crappy" "ugly" "lowly" 135 as a dialy driver to and from and work (and the occasional track), and spend the extra money that the M would have cost me on better things like more vacations with the family, etc.

some of us enjoy learning and appreciating the M3 but chose not to get it....and finances weren't the issue.

we have a winner for retard of the thread award!!
yup your the prefect winner . Too bad my thread wasn't meant to be hard to understand yet you failed to realize. It merely was for the people who have 335s and hate on M3's because of there jealousy, if you are not in that category than its smartest to ignore. because its NOT meant for anyone who isn't a 335 owner that hates on M3's.

And for your 135, yes its one ugly machine, and its for b*tches.

and for your "family vehicle" reason , Im 19 So whats there to worry about?? and as you can see My parents also gave me there 05 Range Rover as a secondary Car.

and again for the 335 vs m3, it was my opionon versus 335 owners and i Stand by it, obviously Many M3 owners can agree with what I say, because its obvious 99% of 335 owners who hate on M3's are out of jealousy.

btw mr ssbaprio, YOU obviously proved that you CHOSE not to get m3 because of financial issues from your own post. Mr. Most retarded thread winner =). Read your own Thread, or are you a bit slow? if you are slow it says "so i can have extra $$ for vacations". =)

What else do you want to know?

Last edited by BIGNTASTIE; 01-26-2009 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #97
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

its a Tune turbo vs a non-tune NA m3. Put a turbo in the e92m and see how it will treat a 335
      01-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #98
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNTASTIE View Post
What else do you want to know?
How a kid whose daddy has bought him everything he's ever needed (including the M3) can be so bitter and arrogant?
Not much to parade around when you did nothing to deserve what you have and everything was given to you.

Would be like some poor guy who won $50 million in the lottery (or inherited $50 million for a long lost relative) suddenly feels he's better than other people and thinks people with less money are "jealous" of what he has.

Pretty immature and pathetic really.
Maybe someday you'll actually have to work for something and then you'll actually deserve it. But chances are nepotism will be a related term for you when it comes to getting a job too.
You're just like Sticky-fingers.

Grow up.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #99
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
How a kid whose daddy has bought him everything he's ever needed (including the M3) can be so bitter and arrogant?
Not much to parade around when you did nothing to deserve what you have and everything was given to you.

Would be like some poor guy who won $50 million in the lottery (or inherited $50 million for a long lost relative) suddenly feels he's better than other people and thinks people with less money are "jealous" of what he has.

Maybe someday you'll actually have to work for something and then you'll actually deserve it. But chances are nepotism will be a related term for you when it comes to getting a job too.

Grow up.
+1 man.

Quote:
And for your 135, yes its one ugly machine, and its for b*tches.

and for your "family vehicle" reason , Im 19 So whats there to worry about?? and as you can see My parents also gave me there 05 Range Rover as a secondary Car.

btw mr ssbaprio, YOU obviously proved that you CHOSE not to get m3 because of financial issues from your own post. Mr. Most retarded thread winner =). Read your own Thread, or are you a bit slow? if you are slow it says "so i can have extra $$ for vacations". =)
wowwww...you have to be the biggest bitch i've ever seen on this site.

no. wait. yeah, you are for sure. it's actually pathetic. you're boasting shit that isn't even something you bought with your own money. you're not better than Driver72. judging from the way you write, if it's anything to go by, you have to be the biggest dbag ever in person. i hope i never meet you when i go up to NY sometime.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #100
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

and who actually hates the M3? that's stupid.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #101
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
and who actually hates the M3? that's stupid.
Yes, I was about to post that...who does hate it? Doesn't make any sense, especially if you are a 335 owner.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #102
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
....Im 19 So ....
ah, that explains it!

"attitude" + 19 + daddy's money + clueless comprehesion of cars = Complete utter FAIL!

off you go to my ignore list... thanks for clarifying it.

Last edited by ssabripo; 01-26-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #103
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Grow up.
interesting. just proves another jealous man. Wont waste my time explaining, a bit too long on all the shit my family and I went through to be where we are now.

but for your "jealousy part" i do not feel that I am better than anyone else, nor do i need to prove it. I was just speaking on my opnion on behalf of the rest of M3 owners who get hated on by 335 owners because of their jealousy towards M3 owners. I did not mention anything about me being better than anyone. Matter fact I even said I have all respect for 335 OWNERS who are not immature and hate on M3's because of jealousy.If you were educated, you would read my thread and understand it. Obviously your not. grow up.
      01-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #104
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
+1 man.

wowwww...you have to be the biggest bitch i've ever seen on this site.

no. wait. yeah, you are for sure. it's actually pathetic. you're boasting shit that isn't even something you bought with your own money. you're not better than Driver72. judging from the way you write, if it's anything to go by, you have to be the biggest dbag ever in person. i hope i never meet you when i go up to NY sometime.
wow you REALLY must be retarded, PLEASE learn to read. when did i EVER say I'm Better anyone. and There are MANY 335 haters here who hate on m3. Go search some threads. "my JB3 WILL BURN YOU" or "M3's a fail, 335 > M3". You'll find many, enlighten me once you have.
      01-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #105
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
interesting. just proves another jealous man. Wont waste my time explaining, a bit too long on all the shit my family and I went through to be where we are now.

but for your "jealousy part" i do not feel that I am better than anyone else, nor do i need to prove it. I was just speaking on my opnion on behalf of the rest of M3 owners who get hated on by 335 owners because of their jealousy towards M3 owners. I did not mention anything about me being better than anyone. Matter fact I even said I have all respect for 335 OWNERS who are not immature and hate on M3's because of jealousy.If you were educated, you would read my thread and understand it. Obviously your not. grow up.
LOL, that's funny coming from a 19 year old kid who isn't educated to a man who is.
I'll clarify for you. The FACT you think some 335i owners are jealous of M3 owners shows it's in FACT you.
Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?

No 335i owners are jealous of M3 owners, just some M3 owners (like yourself, well you're kind of an owner since your dad bought the car for you, it's him that's really the owner) that THINK 335i owners are jealous.

You saying "grow up" that is hilarious kid.
Notice the responses from others to you. Huh? Wonder why that is.

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time on another Sticky. Time to ban you too.
Ignore list until you are banned. Bye.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #106
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
ah, that explains it!

NY "attitude" + 19 + daddy's money + clueless comprehesion of cars = Complete utter FAIL!

off you go to my ignore list... thanks for clarifying it.
Why stereotype it as a 'NY' attitude? Attitude is the same no matter what the application. That statement just makes you look extremely biased.
      01-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #107
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
you, sir, are a fine gentleman and a scholar!

I am saving for that one.... twin turbo I6 goodness pushing 400hp+ /400lb-ft stock, with tons of aftermarket tuning capabilities, with the M driving dynamics!!
Furthermore, what part of his post makes him scholarly or shows the qualities of a gentleman? He simply stated an opinion that happened to fall in line with your own. Which is not a qualifying trait of either a gentleman or a scholar. Especially since scholars are typically akin with factual evidence or knowledge.
      01-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #108
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL, that's funny coming from a 19 year old kid who isn't educated to a man who is.
I'll clarify for you. The FACT you think some 335i owners are jealous of M3 owners shows it's in FACT you.
Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?

No 335i owners are jealous of M3 owners, just some M3 owners (like yourself, well you're kind of an owner since your dad bought the car for you, it's him that's really the owner) that THINK 335i owners are jealous.

You saying "grow up" that is hilarious kid.
Notice the responses from others to you. Huh? Wonder why that is.

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time on another Sticky. Time to ban you too.
Ignore list until you are banned. Bye.
congrats , now go . You'll see many 335 haters. DO it and enlighten me. thanks!
      01-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #109
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

^^ If any or your post above was addressed to me, all I got was a message that said, "this message is hidden because (BIGNtastless) is on your ignore list."

Sweet!

Edit: Yet he still responds below. ROTFLMAO
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #110
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Furthermore, what part of his post makes him scholarly or shows the qualities of a gentleman? He simply stated an opinion that happened to fall in line with your own. Which is not a qualifying trait of either a gentleman or a scholar. Especially since scholars are typically akin with factual evidence or knowledge.
THank you, I merely stated my opnion which did not DEGrade anyone, but because you could not agree with what I said you made it seem liek i was degrading you. Please dont change my argument.