BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

06-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #23
Matt@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: V8 tricycle

Just pulled out a 37,000 mile 2013 Competition M3.

Last edited by Matt@AUTOcouture; 07-02-2016 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #24
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

Was this car tracked? SC?
Hard to believe at 37k. Was there a sign e.g. engine knock?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #25
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpersona View Post
Was this car tracked? SC?
Hard to believe at 37k. Was there a sign e.g. engine knock?
The current owner is not the original so it is tough to say what the past usage was. The car itself is completely stock and the engine bay clean and looks as though it's never been tampered with. The car looks like a showroom car.

Last edited by Matt@AUTOcouture; 07-01-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #26
steveff4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Matt beat me to the punch. For the record, it's a 2013, not a 2012.

The car is essentially stock. I have owned the car since May 2015, and bought it with 25K miles on it. The car was tracked for three days last year at NJMP, and I plan to do more.

I took advantage of this ACM offer and am glad to have the hardened bearings installed. I haven't had any engine problems aside from a failed coil.

Thanks again to ACM. They have a very large shop full of a lot of great cars.

2013 BMW M3 Coupe :
Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package : ACM exhaust
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
pics of M3
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #27
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Do these bearings fix the issue, as in I won't have to worry about it ever again?

I do have some track days on mine, but only 26k.
      07-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #28
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveff4 View Post
Matt beat me to the punch. For the record, it's a 2013, not a 2012.

The car is essentially stock. I have owned the car since May 2015, and bought it with 25K miles on it. The car was tracked for three days last year at NJMP, and I plan to do more.

I took advantage of this ACM offer and am glad to have the hardened bearings installed. I haven't had any engine problems aside from a failed coil.

Thanks again to ACM. They have a very large shop full of a lot of great cars.
Corrected the year. You're welcome, happy to help! Thanks for allowing us to take care of her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
Do these bearings fix the issue, as in I won't have to worry about it ever again?

I do have some track days on mine, but only 26k.
In terms of material strength and longevity, WPC bearings and ARP bolts represent 2-3 times the durability of the factory S65 bearings and rod bolts. There are still too many variables with use and abuse to give an absolute guarantee on the lifespan of the WPC bearings. The WPC coating is for a fact stronger than what the factory bearings have to offer.

In the 70+ cars we've done bearings on whether it be for supercharged cars or just enthusiasts looking to safeguard the motor, we've seen that even on 40-50k mileage cars, the ones who religiously warmed them up and drove them "responsibly aggressive" show even, consistent wear. The problem is that many of these cars are 2nd owners and the previous usage is unknown. The WPC coated bearings can easily outlast that mileage frame multiplied as long as they are still cared for in the same manner.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, we did pull a set out of a supercharged M3 because he was curious about experimenting with another brand/coating. When we pulled his current WPC bearings out they barely showed any wear to the point where he was inclined to just keep those in. We put a new set of WPC bearings in after he saw how well his current WPC's held up because the mileage he put on those bearings were not babied.

Last edited by Matt@AUTOcouture; 07-05-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #29
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

44,xxx mile E92 M3 in for the service.

The heat coronas show quite a bit of heat in the area, however it is not very large so it did cool down rather quickly. Despite the concern of it getting that hot to create those coronas, the silver lining is that it is very consistent across all 8 cylinders which is a good thing.

What everyone has to remember here is that these bearings are going to show wear. The alarming factor is not so much the wear itself, which everyone seems to freak out over, but how it is laid out across each cylinder.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #30
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

85,xxx mile S65 we just wrapped up.

Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #31
steveff4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

What year, Matt? Not good on a couple, but not terrible considering mileage. Just wondering if the parts vary by model year. Either way, I suspect BMW sets the specification and bids/contracts out supply based upon price and other factors. I doubt highly that they are making the bearings.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #32
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Curious--why not BE bearings with increased clearance vs the wpc coated bearings? Turner Motorsport even goes so far to say that increased coating makes the clearance worse.

I'm just trying to do my research on which way to go.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #33
e92m3_jesse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOcouture View Post
85,xxx mile S65 we just wrapped up.

No other shop is like ACM. Their super friendly staff and complete knowledge of the S65 engine plus the special they're running, it's was a no brainer I had to schedule the rod bearing swap. I was willing to drive from Queens, NY into NJ even though there are so many shops locally that performed the same job. I simply felt more confident with them working on my M.

I purchased at 52k miles and now in 3 years, odometer is at 85k miles as a daily driven.

Keep in mind I do not track and always warm up properly before passing 3k rpm and still the bearing wear is more than I originally thought. It's safe to say it's a crap shoot with oem bearings regardless of mileage.

Anyway, HUGE thanks again to ACM for providing me with peace of mind using the WPC treated bearings.
Appreciate 1
nyfg56100.00
      07-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #34
Tom@AUTOcouture
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80-BG,E90-JB,C5 Z06,E36 M3-TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post
Curious--why not BE bearings with increased clearance vs the wpc coated bearings? Turner Motorsport even goes so far to say that increased coating makes the clearance worse.

Turner is spot on when they say that. Many describe the WPC's as a coated bearing but in actuality they are a very specialized treatment process of the OEM bearings that drastically increase strength while reducing friction characteristics, without manipulating the dimensions of the pieces themselves. 4-5 years ago when we began doing the services we originally used a coated bearing, but after our own research, i.e. tearing down our own project cars and mapping the wear characteristics of the coated versus others, and many long nights with a few BMW NA M engineers and IMSA Race Engineers, all whom will remain anonymous, we stopped using all other bearing options, as well as the OEM bolts, due to the relatively high level of scatter preload experienced with the stretch to yield design.

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #35
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@AUTOcouture
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post

Turner is spot on when they say that. Many describe the WPC's as a coated bearing but in actuality they are a very specialized treatment process of the OEM bearings that drastically increase strength while reducing friction characteristics, without manipulating the dimensions of the pieces themselves. 4-5 years ago when we began doing the services we originally used a coated bearing, but after our own research, i.e. tearing down our own project cars and mapping the wear characteristics of the coated versus others, and many long nights with a few BMW NA M engineers and IMSA Race Engineers, all whom will remain anonymous, we stopped using all other bearing options, as well as the OEM bolts, due to the relatively high level of scatter preload experienced with the stretch to yield design.

What is your opinion of BE bearings? Do you offer them as well, or strictly recommend installing WPC bearings at this time?
      07-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #36
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Thanks Tom^

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveff4 View Post
What year, Matt? Not good on a couple, but not terrible considering mileage. Just wondering if the parts vary by model year. Either way, I suspect BMW sets the specification and bids/contracts out supply based upon price and other factors. I doubt highly that they are making the bearings.
That car is an 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInTaiwan View Post
No other shop is like ACM. Their super friendly staff and complete knowledge of the S65 engine plus the special they're running, it's was a no brainer I had to schedule the rod bearing swap. I was willing to drive from Queens, NY into NJ even though there are so many shops locally that performed the same job. I simply felt more confident with them working on my M.

I purchased at 52k miles and now in 3 years, odometer is at 85k miles as a daily driven.

Keep in mind I do not track and always warm up properly before passing 3k rpm and still the bearing wear is more than I originally thought. It's safe to say it's a crap shoot with oem bearings regardless of mileage.

Anyway, HUGE thanks again to ACM for providing me with peace of mind using the WPC treated bearings.
Thank you! Appreciate the kind words. This is one of the most intensive jobs that can be done on these cars, and it means a lot that customers trust us with their babies to take care of this service. The E46's are all dying with their subframe failures so it's hard to find them long term years later. Addressing this issue now for these cars will keep them on the road longer and healthier.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #37
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Finally pulled my bearings with the new batch we just got in from WPC. Pardon the cell phone pics. Did my motor mounts, trans flush and diff flush at 52,9xx.

Appreciate 2
nyfg56100.00
      07-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #38
Tom@AUTOcouture
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80-BG,E90-JB,C5 Z06,E36 M3-TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroonly View Post
What is your opinion of BE bearings? Do you offer them as well, or strictly recommend installing WPC bearings at this time?
Currently we do not offer any pieces that manipulate any rotating assembly clearances what so ever. I have seen WPC's excel over any competitor repeatedly in both IMSA Race Engine programs and professional NHRA drag motor programs for years long before we began working on the S65. I have used them on my own race engine builds with great results, as well as certain ballistic applications. I never seen anything that can come close to them as far as performance, and until I do, we wont use anything else

Appreciate 2
nyfg56100.00
      07-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #39
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

All PM's replied!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #40
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Matt sorry off topic will you be sc your car now that you did the bearings?
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #41
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
Matt sorry off topic will you be sc your car now that you did the bearings?
The temptation is always there at this place

I'm trying to focus more on building my 2002tii at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #42
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOcouture View Post
The temptation is always there at this place

I'm trying to focus more on building my 2002tii at the moment.
Lol I'm sure it is ok gl
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #43
nyfg56
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT

Just booked mine with Matt today. Anxious to get it done as well as see how mine look
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #44
Matt@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfg56 View Post
Just booked mine with Matt today. Anxious to get it done as well as see how mine look
Appreciate 0