BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #45
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Completely different places.

Paris is the only place I'd leave NYC to live. Its one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Venice is Venice and it is worth visiting at least once if not more. It's slowly sinking into the Adriatic so there will be a time that the entire place will be condemned. Perhaps not in our lifetime but with the frequency and severity of their floods, it may be sooner than later.
This doesn't help me pick between the two at all.
I suppose I'll have to find a way to squeeze Venice in the itinerary. It might get a bit hectic though.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #46
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
This doesn't help me pick between the two at all.
I suppose I'll have to find a way to squeeze Venice in the itinerary. It might get a bit hectic though.
Save Paris for another trip. Florence to Venice is an easy drive or even easier train ride.

Two days in any city on your itinerary is already pushing it. You hardly have enough time to see let alone enjoy any of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #47
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Save Paris for another trip. Florence to Venice is an easy drive or even easier train ride.

Two days in any city on your itinerary is already pushing it. You hardly have enough time to see let alone enjoy any of them.
Since we're going to be in Alsace/Strasbourg, Paris wouldn't be that far out would it? I was sure I want to leave out Paris during this trip but it seems like almost everyone is recommending that I should put Paris back onto the itinerary.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #48
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Here's my thought

What are you trying to accomplish by visiting all these places? If it's to check each city off as "been there" then yes- add Paris. You're already going to another major city like Rome which is also brief. Do you want to add another? Ive done a Paris and Rome trip, spending 3 days in each, and felt like I short changed myself.

We all want something different out of our vacations but spending one or two days in any city isn't enough time to get anything of substance out of it. You may see the Louvre, Versailles, and have a coffee or two at a cafe but did you really "see" Paris?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #49
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Do Paris on a separate, dedicated trip and see as much of Italy as you can on this one.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #50
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

After my last trip, I told myself I will no longer try to just check things off my list. I would rather spend more time in fewer cities and enjoy them. It's just that Paris was in the original plan and the people I talked to made it seem like it's not to be missed. I agree with you guys though. If we go to Paris we would be there for about 3-4 days and that might not be enough to really enjoy much and take in the culture.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #51
italia
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars:German|Motorbikes:Italian

4 days in Paris is enough to see quite a bit. I'd pick Paris over Venice any day. Every day.
'94 530i - E34, MT
'97 540i - E39, MT
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #52
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
4 days in Paris is enough to see quite a bit. I'd pick Paris over Venice any day. Every day.
I was set to leave out Paris until this comment...thanks for making my decision harder.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #53
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
I was set to leave out Paris until this comment...thanks for making my decision harder.
I would second his view. I would very happily take Paris over Venice 10/10 times.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #54
italia
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You'll have a great time regardless where you travel. I will say that among some of the larger cities in Europe/UK, I would pick visiting Paris over London or Rome.

Paris is truly a great city. The art, architecture, food, sites - all outstanding. Even the subway system is terrific. Last time I went, we rented a condo near Les Invalides rather than staying in a hotel, shopped for food at La Grande Epicerie, ate some at cafes and restaurants, and did lots of site seeing.

Among the MANY museums including le Louvre, the one museum I wanted to visit twice was le Centre Pompidou (modern art).

Here's a shot I took on Christmas Day 2007 looking through trees.

'94 530i - E34, MT
'97 540i - E39, MT
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #55
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
If you want a Parisian experience on the cheap, just find someone who smokes cigarettes and has a terrible attitude and have them tell you how much they dislike Americans.

I kid.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #56
italia
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
find someone who smokes cigarettes and has a terrible attitude and have them tell you how much they dislike Americans.
You mean like this guy.

'94 530i - E34, MT
'97 540i - E39, MT
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #57
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
You'll have a great time regardless where you travel. I will say that among some of the larger cities in Europe/UK, I would pick visiting Paris over London or Rome.

Paris is truly a great city. The art, architecture, food, sites - all outstanding. Even the subway system is terrific. Last time I went, we rented a condo near Les Invalides rather than staying in a hotel, shopped for food at La Grande Epicerie, ate some at cafes and restaurants, and did lots of site seeing.

Among the MANY museums including le Louvre, the one museum I wanted to visit twice was le Centre Pompidou (modern art).

Here's a shot I took on Christmas Day 2007 looking through trees.

That's really nice. City of lights eh?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #58
italia
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's really nice. City of lights eh?
'94 530i - E34, MT
'97 540i - E39, MT
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #59
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Do Paris on a separate, dedicated trip and see as much of Italy as you can on this one.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #60
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
After my last trip, I told myself I will no longer try to just check things off my list. I would rather spend more time in fewer cities and enjoy them. It's just that Paris was in the original plan and the people I talked to made it seem like it's not to be missed. I agree with you guys though. If we go to Paris we would be there for about 3-4 days and that might not be enough to really enjoy much and take in the culture.
I think you answered your own question in your first two sentences. IMO, Paris is the most beautiful of the major cities in Europe and worth a dedicated trip where you're not rushed.

I suppose I'm spoiled living on the east coat because we can fly to Paris or Milan in under 7 hours (despite the 7:40 published flight time) which is perfect for along weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #61
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you answered your own question in your first two sentences. IMO, Paris is the most beautiful of the major cities in Europe and worth a dedicated trip where you're not rushed.

I suppose I'm spoiled living on the east coat because we can fly to Paris or Milan in under 7 hours (despite the 7:40 published flight time) which is perfect for along weekend.
Yeah, for sure. Thing is the gf wants to see Paris.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #62
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

If you go to Pompeii (Italy), don't get a heart attack. They do not have ambulances. The hospitals are poorly sterilized.

I suffered a severe medical emergency and it took about 2 hours to get to the nearest hospital. They don't really have the equivalent of "911" so I was transported by taxi.

There were feces smeared all over the bathroom walls. The nurse who started my I.V. was not wearing gloves, and she did not start the I.V. properly. It was a nightmare.

Italy (in particular, everything south of Rome) struck me as a borderline 3rd world country.

If you have a life threatening medical emergency in pompeii you will literally die. I'm not joking. I think it's important to keep this in mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #63
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Also, always practice stealth wealth when you're in Italy (again, especially southern italy including rome).

If people get the slightest hint that you're an affluent foreigner, they will rip you off and take total advantage of you. You'll be driven around in circles by taxi so as to increase the fare. You'll be overcharged in coffee or ice cream shops under the aegis of miscommunication (due to any language barriers if you don't speak italian).

The northern (and generally more affluent) parts of Italy are more well-behaved. Hell, I've found north Italians openly make fun of their southern counterparts for having a reputation for swindling, stealing, or lying for financial gain.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:15 AM   #64
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Also, always practice stealth wealth when you're in Italy (again, especially southern italy including rome).

If people get the slightest hint that you're an affluent foreigner, they will rip you off and take total advantage of you. You'll be driven around in circles by taxi so as to increase the fare. You'll be overcharged in coffee or ice cream shops under the aegis of miscommunication (due to any language barriers if you don't speak italian).

The northern (and generally more affluent) parts of Italy are more well-behaved. Hell, I've found north Italians openly make fun of their southern counterparts for having a reputation for swindling, stealing, or lying for financial gain.
Many people I know in northern Italy don't even consider those in the south as Italians although they love food from Amalfi
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #65
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Many people I know in northern Italy don't even consider those in the south as Italians although they love food from Amalfi
The food at Amalfi is spectacular! I agree completely. The view is breathtaking as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #66
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I've been to all of your planned destinations and I love them all.
All of the main sights are more than worth visiting.

In Rome I would add these two less obvious visits:
1. The catacombs outside the city. We walked but we are both avid hikers and endurance athletes, a bus might be preferable for many. Early Christians were not allowed to bury their family in the city so they did it in secrecy outside the city walls. Strong historic vibe here.

2. Galleria Borghese. I was not interested in sculptures until I visited this place. Some absolutely amazing pieces by Bernini and you get up close enough to touch ( not allowed ) and even at an arms length the rock hard marble beds for example looks like soft mattresses. And then you realize that Rome is full of Bernini sculptures. One of these would take a normal human a life time without even getting close.

In Venice you should aim to get onto the water. A tour on Grand Canal or just the water taxi will do. I second Danieli if you can swing it. We stayed there for part of our honeymoon.
Appreciate 0