BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Your opinion in exhaust volume/rasp/sound from full catless to adding 2ndary's backon

Hey look another thread which I didn't take the time to research.

I am all catless and the smell is getting to me but I love the exhaust sound with my iPE valved muffler.

How much volume/rasp will I lose adding the 2ndary cats? Only to remove the smell. I thought I would be into it since it is nostalgic and lived in it for years in the Philippines.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I have catless and my friend has secondary cats in place but no primary. Our cars are about the same volume (mine may be a little louder) but mine has noticeably more rasp. In my case i also have weird rasp right at 2k rpm which he does not have. People tell me because im catless.
P.S. I dont care about smell.
Appreciate 1
Route 16843.50
      07-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
I have catless and my friend has secondary cats in place but no primary. Our cars are about the same volume (mine may be a little louder) but mine has noticeably more rasp. In my case i also have weird rasp right at 2k rpm which he does not have. People tell me because im catless.
Exactly what I wanted to know. Even with my catless set up I have no weird rasp but I also have the alpine tune, maybe that’s a factor.

Does your friend or you notice lesser smell (with his 2ndary cats in place) that’s tolerable for kids.
Appreciate 1
aswy6261.00
      07-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Quote:
Exactly what I wanted to know. Even with my catless set up I have no weird rasp but I also have the alpine tune, maybe that's a factor.

Does your friend or you notice lesser smell (with his 2ndary cats in place) that's tolerable for kids.
Yes his does not smell at all from what i can tell. Mine smells like crazy but the only time i feel it is when i backing out or get something from the trunk while the car is running. My rasp has been driving me crazy but the weird thing is that it comes around only when the car is under moderate load in D. When i let it get up to 3k rpm or so and the load is less, it does not happen. Super weird, my guess it has to do something with a tune but we will see when i tune the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Yes his does not smell at all from what i can tell. Mine smells like crazy but the only time i feel it is when i backing out or get something from the trunk while the car is running. My rasp has been driving me crazy but the weird thing is that it comes around only when the car is under moderate load in D. When i let it get up to 3k rpm or so and the load is less, it does not happen. Super weird, my guess it has to do something with a tune but we will see when i tune the car.
That sucks. Yeah my install is solid, no rattling under load at all. S

It just sucks I have to sacrifice some sound to get rid of the smell.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. Yeah my install is solid, no rattling under load at all.

It just sucks I have to sacrifice some sound to get rid of the smell. I still smell it even while I cruise, granted it isn’t strong like I’m driving behind the car but it lingers.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Quote:
That sucks. Yeah my install is solid, no rattling under load at all.

It just sucks I have to sacrifice some sound to get rid of the smell. I still smell it even while I cruise, granted it isn't strong like I'm driving behind the car but it lingers.
I have never smelled it while moving. I don't even smell it sometimes when i back up. Could there be a leak? Because my car smells REALLY bad when i am behind it.
Funny story: One time i was getting a message about battery discharge so i though my battery is dead (turned out bad LED light later) so i stopped by Autozone to have it checked after work. Its about 6pm, only 2 people are working there and i ask a girl (super hot) if someone can check it out. She gets out there with a tool and tells me that the car needs to be running. Well too bad because battery is in the trunk and covered by that red thing. So she tries for a solid 10 minutes to get a connection but its clearly impossible. The car is running and i am trying to explain them that we need to take off the red thing on top and saying sorry for the car being catless. That night my battery did not get checked but i enjoyed looking at super hot Texas girl trying to measure voltage while almost choking behind my catless car. When she gave up, her eyes were so red that i hope she was ok
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
I have never smelled it while moving. I don't even smell it sometimes when i back up. Could there be a leak? Because my car smells REALLY bad when i am behind it.
Funny story: One time i was getting a message about battery discharge so i though my battery is dead (turned out bad LED light later) so i stopped by Autozone to have it checked after work. Its about 6pm, only 2 people are working there and i ask a girl (super hot) if someone can check it out. She gets out there with a tool and tells me that the car needs to be running. Well too bad because battery is in the trunk and covered by that red thing. So she tries for a solid 10 minutes to get a connection but its clearly impossible. The car is running and i am trying to explain them that we need to take off the red thing on top and saying sorry for the car being catless. That night my battery did not get checked but i enjoyed looking at super hot Texas girl trying to measure voltage while almost choking behind my catless car. When she gave up, her eyes were so red that i hope she was ok
She has cancer now
Appreciate 0