BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #45
Majdi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerrS65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4org1ve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovetek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
He says the ACL bearing provide a little extra clearance like the BE bearings, and that extra clearance bearings are what you want for one of these motors.
Thanks. Looks like I'll go with the 8B1580HX then.

Seems cheap at less than AUD$200 from the shops here... That's like USD$150 or something.
It was so hard to locate a vendor in USA for Acl bearings. Buying it directly from Acl was costing more than $300.00. I think I've finally located a supplier for Acl bearing is USA for a price that's unbeatable. I'm going to be doing a complete rod bearing job in the next few weeks. I'll post back here with part numbers and suppliers.
Looking forward to the info! thanks
You're welcome. Should have all the information by the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:56 AM   #46
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like I'll go with the 8B1580HX then.

Seems cheap at less than AUD$200 from the shops here... That's like USD$150 or something.
I'll be going with the HX shells. I had the same conversation with ACL to get a more firm understanding of their target clearance and variation which didn't come out really. Their input made me wonder about what the journal (and housing) spec/tolerances really are, and do the different vendors work with the same numbers here... anyhow, these shells are fairly new so doesn't seem to be a lot of usage feedback yet. Guess we'll be on the first lot trying them out.....

Cheers

Ps. And yes same here, they are "dirt cheap" compared to some of the other. Spending the money on ARP bolts that on the other hand are 3x OEM.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #47
groovetek
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Sorry what was the issue with OEM bolts given we are retaining OEM rods?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #48
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd still go with BE/ARP bolts. Even if you don't want to submit to the evidence of bore distortion potential using OEM bolts, the convenient installation process of ARP bolts over OEM is more than worth the extra price.
Appreciate 2
Scharbag2617.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      06-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #49
Warehouse33
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36 & e93 M3

I would have no problem using ACL rod bearings, they're very respected in the bearing world.

-Jason
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #50
Majdi
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouse33 View Post
I would have no problem using ACL rod bearings, they're very respected in the bearing world.

-Jason
After doing a lot of research. I've come up with the same conclusion. Acl is an absolute beast of a brand. Reputable all over the world for many makes and models. The m3 bearings haven't really been introduced here in the US properly.

I don't understand why some BMW guys cringe when we start exploring other options other than your typical OEM or the one other brand that is a "no brianer". Come on now.

It's clearly listed on the BE website, that one of the main issues with OEM bearings are the clearance issue. So if Acl bearings (race version) have the same clearance as the BE ones, why shouldn't Acl be considered a good option. Especially if we can buy Acl ones got $200.00 and BE costs $500.00!

I just believe we should encourage the community to have more options so things become more affordable. I still don't like the idea that we only have pretty much option for Rod Bolts. I wish someone on this forum can manufacture a new bolt with the same specs as ARP ones and sell them for cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #51
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't use ACL. I've used them in a number of engines. I've been using their .25 oversize bearings for a while as they're the only oversize bearing I know of for machined cranks. However, there is no doubt that many people including shops are not willing to think outside the box for this engine. They're just now warming up to BE. Throwing a "new" option out there is just going to blow people's mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #52
Majdi
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't use ACL. I've used them in a number of engines. I've been using their .25 oversize bearings for a while as they're the only oversize bearing I know of for machined cranks. However, there is no doubt that many people including shops are not willing to think outside the box for this engine. They're just now warming up to BE. Throwing a "new" option out there is just going to blow people's mind.
I totally understand what you're saying. There is no doubt about the quality of Acl, just the fact that it will take time for people to warm up to it. I'm already warmed up to the idea. Will be replacing my bearings with Acl ones next weekend. Will post some pics.

Thanks deansbimmer for answering my questions via pm. Your feedback really helped!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #53
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Official ACL bearing measurements should be here this weekend. Bert sent me a picture showing he's measuring them: thicknesses, clearances, and eccentricity. He said same way he does for all the bearings.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #54
groovetek
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Ha I ordered a set anyway, mechanic insisted on OEM bolts, oh well he is responsible to install them anyway... and car is booked on a few weeks time... If Green eggs comes back with something that strongly suggests not to, then I can call it off still.

Keen to see results; isn't "Bert" the BE bearings rep? If so will results be completely unbiased?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 03:21 AM   #55
Majdi
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ha I ordered a set anyway, mechanic insisted on OEM bolts, oh well he is responsible to install them anyway... and car is booked on a few weeks time... If Green eggs comes back with something that strongly suggests not to, then I can call it off still.

Keen to see results; isn't "Bert" the BE bearings rep? If so will results be completely unbiased?
We need someone who isn't affiliated with any of the companies to do a proper unbiased comparison. Bret works for or owns BE. Will be hard not to have a bias.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #56
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

In my mind not a second doubt that BEs shells are great, both design and from what I understand they measure/select to spec prior shipment. And even without being an engine guy one have to be impressed by their released design/measurements data, wow. Still as deliveries are unpredictable and on top the price is juicy I view (hope for) ACL as a fair alternative. Regarding BE price and lead time I certainly appreciate the challenge when ordering small volumes, after collecting enought backlog (as they obviously can't run their own fab).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #57
Majdi
Banned
Rep

A pic of the specs of the Acl bearings. Looks promising.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #58
Green-Eggs
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:

Quote:
We need someone who isn't affiliated with any of the companies to do a proper unbiased comparison. Bret works for or owns BE. Will be hard not to have a bias.
Judge for yourselves:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504908
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #59
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I never cease to be amazed at the way people complicate their lives looking for additional options

One company makes oversize bearings and has published enough information about them to fill an encyclopedia.
Another company is managed by clowns (vac)
Now there is a third option

Options 2 and 3 publish either zero or almost zero information.

So let me see, one option has tons of info and specs and there are another two with almost zero information... such a tough choice... let me think about it...
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #60
Majdi
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I never cease to be amazed at the way people complicate their lives looking for additional options

One company makes oversize bearings and has published enough information about them to fill an encyclopedia.
Another company is managed by clowns (vac)
Now there is a third option

Options 2 and 3 publish either zero or almost zero information.

So let me see, one option has tons of info and specs and there are another two with almost zero information... such a tough choice... let me think about it...
Acl has tons of information on their catalog and have been in business far longer than the other brands you mentioned. So let's not get confused thinking it's a "new" option on the block.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #61
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Acl has tons of information on their catalog and have been in business far longer than the other brands you mentioned. So let's not get confused thinking it's a "new" option on the block.
A company (ACL) may have been around for a long time but I don't see their data posted.

Have they completed testing to see what effect it has on oil pressures and flow in the S65 engine?

Why did they choose that clearance for the engine? Why doesn't it have a coating?

This looks like Clevite decides to build an increased clearance bearing for our engine directly without any more info.

Off the bat I'm more inclined to take this as a #2 option (in front of VAC of course) but I need a lot more information before I consider them the ideal option
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #62
wingzee
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Competition

So for those who had replaced their rod bearings with ACL - any feedback?

Obviously HX is the one to go for with 0.025mm clearance but how different is that vs the H 0.025 (not STD)? Are they both not the same in terms of clearance measurement?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #63
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzee View Post
Obviously HX is the one to go for with 0.025mm clearance but how different is that vs the H 0.025 (not STD)? Are they both not the same in terms of clearance measurement?
The H-STD is the standard set with OEM clarance.
The HX-STD is the "extra clearance" set (.001 per journal inch)
The H-.25 is the oversize set

Don't confuse extra clearance with oversize. In this context oversize means the shells are thicker to compensate for repaired crankshafts that have had their journals ground down.

I've installed 7 or 8 sets of ACL bearings in engines so far because of BE's inconsistent supply. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #64
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
The H-STD is the standard set with OEM clarance.
The HX-STD is the "extra clearance" set (.001 per journal inch)
The H-.25 is the oversize set

Don't confuse extra clearance with oversize. In this context oversize means the shells are thicker to compensate for repaired crankshafts that have had their journals ground down.

I've installed 7 or 8 sets of ACL bearings in engines so far because of BE's inconsistent supply. No issues.
Deansbimmer, did you use the HX as well or only STD so far? BE's measurement suggesting already ACL's STD shell has increased clearance makes made me think twice about the HX.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #65
deansbimmer
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've used both but would probably lean towards sticking with the std size shells unless you bought the std and hx sets and made a custom upper/lower set..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #66
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I've used both but would probably lean towards sticking with the std size shells unless you bought the std and hx sets and made a custom upper/lower set..
Thanks mate. Did you check HX clearance with plastigage by any chance, or leaning towards STD based on gut feeling?
Appreciate 0