BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
mrspecter
Private
18
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Experiences with CQuartz?

I'm considering getting my car ceramic coated with CQuartz, but I'd like to hear what peoples' experiences are with the coating. I've read and researched quite a bit about ceramic coatings already, but I need to gather some more information before I make the decision.

If you had the ceramic coating done, I'd like to know the following
-When it was applied?
-How well has it held up?
-How often do you have to wash your car?
-How much did you pay
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
524
Rep
6,746
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (54)

This is what I do with cquartz on wheels and smaller CF pieces (diffuser, spoilers).
I apply after either a 2 step wash for all pieces and applying iron-x for wheels and clay bar.
It has held up for over a year and doesn't need to be reapplied even after that but I do anyway because I want too.
The pieces stay water beaded. On wheels it is easier to clean with while using a pressure washer. A regular bucket soap/wash helps too.
I think I paid $60 for the smaller bottle and still have more than half left after 2 years.

I've done 8 wheels twice, spoiler once, diffuser parts once. It doesn't take too much to apply. Make sure to wear gloves. After you're done with the microfiber, wash it. If you don't it'll become a firm piece of cloth. Like you just wiped your jizz off with used a wash cloth and left it in the corner for a while.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 02:16 AM   #3
JsL
Major
United_States
308
Rep
1,013
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP VF620
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
... Like you just wiped your jizz off with used a wash cloth and left it in the corner for a while.


I hope you use a different towel for personal use and automotive use.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 02:52 AM   #4
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
524
Rep
6,746
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post


I hope you use a different towel for personal use and automotive use.
wife's bathrob
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #5
EnVe46
Captain
EnVe46's Avatar
381
Rep
754
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Love cquartz! Have my car coated and ya held up nicely. The obvious things like bird shit and hard water will still leave spot but a wash with ironx usually gets rid of it. The best part is the gloss, it's insane! A good hard rain will basically wash the car leaving it looking rather clean.

These pictures were right after I had it coated.
Attached Images
    
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 1
cliverman368.00

      01-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
doogee
Major
doogee's Avatar
Canada
522
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

-When it was applied?
~2 years ago

-How well has it held up?
~Well, but needs to be redone. Coating has worn off in a few areas. On wheels, it lasted about a month.

-How often do you have to wash your car?
Seems unrelated but once a week? The coating doesn't really change this.

-How much did you pay
$80
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
EnVe46
Captain
EnVe46's Avatar
381
Rep
754
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

-How much did you pay
$80
$80?!? Not saying you're lying but thats not even remotely close to the cost unless you did it yourself? Did you cure with infrared lamps? The entry level Cquartz is good for 2 yrs then requires a redo. Did you ever do Reload treatment? Reload is supposed to be done every 6 months following a decontamination wash. With correction I paid about 1k for my coating.
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
doogee
Major
doogee's Avatar
Canada
522
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
$80?!? Not saying you're lying but thats not even remotely close to the cost unless you did it yourself? Did you cure with infrared lamps? The entry level Cquartz is good for 2 yrs then requires a redo. Did you ever do Reload treatment? Reload is supposed to be done every 6 months following a decontamination wash. With correction I paid about 1k for my coating.
Yeah I do paint correction and coatings as a side job so this was just my cost for CQuartz UK. I normally charge customers ~$600

2 years is perfectly acceptable for me. Same amount of time my Opticoat lasted.

Yes I use reload but it is very temporary.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
BMB063
Lieutenant
BMB063's Avatar
United_States
81
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (2)

I applied Cquartz UK on my car that has Xpel, because the wrap seemed to collect dirt too easily and dulled the paint.

-When it was applied?
8 months ago

-How well has it held up?
so far so good

-How often do you have to wash your car?
Winter time: once a month because I don't drive it much
All other seasons: once a week or once every two weeks.
I use CarPro Reload once a month and also use the Reset shampoo every 3 months or so to keep the coating strong.

-How much did you pay
$0, but I bought it myself and applied it.
__________________
Competition Package | OEM Exhaust Mod | Test Pipes | BPM Stage II Tune |CF High Kick Spoiler | CF Splitters | Gloss Black Grilles

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
EnVe46
Captain
EnVe46's Avatar
381
Rep
754
Posts

Drives: 11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Yeah I do paint correction and coatings as a side job so this was just my cost for CQuartz UK. I normally charge customers ~$600

2 years is perfectly acceptable for me. Same amount of time my Opticoat lasted.

Yes I use reload but it is very temporary.
Got ya! Makes sense. I find it to be holding up very well and maintenance is super easy compared to wax. I just had mine reloaded three weeks ago, so far its still beads nicely and everything is satisfactory. I also use ONR for light washes with the Dean method.
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
doogee
Major
doogee's Avatar
Canada
522
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Got ya! Makes sense. I find it to be holding up very well and maintenance is super easy compared to wax. I just had mine reloaded three weeks ago, so far its still beads nicely and everything is satisfactory. I also use ONR for light washes with the Dean method.
It's amazing how long these last. I think two years is impressive.

The only trouble areas I have are the lower sections of the car and the back of the trunk lid and bumper where all the high traffic of dust and dirt is constantly creating havoc.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
R3dliner's Avatar
United_States
628
Rep
1,588
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NYC

iTrader: (5)

Take a look at GT Techniq crystal serum with the exo. Great results
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
admranger
Curmudgeon
admranger's Avatar
United_States
891
Rep
2,346
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3, 2016 X5 40e
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

I have used CQuartz a couple of times. It lasted about 2 years (garaged day and night). Somewhat easy to apply myself. Don't remember the cost. Water leaps off the car with this stuff on it.
__________________
'11 E90 M3, Mebourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, PP2, heated seats, moonroof, split folding rear seats, iPod/USB adapter, Dinan F sway bar, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 6/600.

'16 X5 40e, Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, multi contour seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1666
Rep
6,282
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspecter View Post
I'm considering getting my car ceramic coated with CQuartz, but I'd like to hear what peoples' experiences are with the coating. I've read and researched quite a bit about ceramic coatings already, but I need to gather some more information before I make the decision.

If you had the ceramic coating done, I'd like to know the following
-When it was applied?
-How well has it held up?
-How often do you have to wash your car?
-How much did you pay

I had mine applied in April of last year. I don't have any sense that is "isn't holding up" but my car is parked in a garage the vast majority of the time and not driven in the winter; the shop said that in my case, I could probably get 4-5 years out of it. It was part of a bigger package with Xpel Ultimate so I can't give an exact price, but based on the research I did, the shop's price was competitive with other local certified installers.

It has really made upkeep easier and pretty much always looks waxed. I rarely wash the car and just use quick detailer and a duster most of the time. It's also been a real blessing on the calipers and wheels since I take the car to the track and they get FILTHY.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat.


__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Visceral
Second Lieutenant
Visceral's Avatar
133
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, 2014 991 TTS
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
That classic Grand Sport livery on your GS is beautiful!

My bank acct would really rather I get over my problem with GM interiors.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 03:46 AM   #16
tlow98
Colonel
790
Rep
2,597
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Had mine applied about 2.5 years ago. Amazing stuff.

The car is kept outside on the street - pretty harsh! I applied reload about once every 6 months and washed maybe once every 2 months.

At the 2 year mark, I did an Iron-X treatment and a heavier Reload application. Rejuvenated it pretty well and been great the past 6 months.

It' amazing how well the rain "washes" the car with CQuartz.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1666
Rep
6,282
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
That classic Grand Sport livery on your GS is beautiful!

My bank acct would really rather I get over my problem with GM interiors.

Thanks! I was sold as soon as I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show for the first time. The color really takes well to being waxed/sealed/coated.

The Corvette interior is perfectly usable and doesn't share much with other GM cars. Chevy really tries to distance itself from the rest of GM with the Corvette -- it's sort of its own brand. If you want that level of performance AND a high-end interior, you're going to be looking at Porsche 911 GT3s for a lot more money. I decided I could live with a more pedestrian interior considering what it would cost to get something a step up.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #18
noremaC
.
noremaC's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: e92m
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (2)

I'm thinking of picking up a small vile of CQuartz and applying it to some heavy traffic spots myself (mainly rear bumper - get's filthy SOO fast). Not quite ready to drop $1.5k for a multi-stage correction and full car coating.

Thinking this would be my DIY process:

1. Soap wash
2. Iron X
3. Clay
4. CQuartz coating (maybe 2 coats)
5. Reload on top

Any suggestions or recommendations? Think it would be worth it just to 'try out' ceramic coating?

Also - there are like 3 or 4 CQuartz coatings. Any recommendations on an 'easier to apply' coating?

Thanks
__________________
Past: 2008 Interlagos/Black e92 m3 - Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 & DCT Tune | BWS Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #19
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1666
Rep
6,282
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a small vile of CQuartz and applying it to some heavy traffic spots myself (mainly rear bumper - get's filthy SOO fast). Not quite ready to drop $1.5k for a multi-stage correction and full car coating.

Thinking this would be my DIY process:

1. Soap wash
2. Iron X
3. Clay
4. CQuartz coating (maybe 2 coats)
5. Reload on top

Any suggestions or recommendations? Think it would be worth it just to 'try out' ceramic coating?

Also - there are like 3 or 4 CQuartz coatings. Any recommendations on an 'easier to apply' coating?

Thanks

Not sure what equipment/patience/know-how you have, but it might be worth the time to do the additional prep step of polishing out scratches and swirls. Any sort of professional application will include this.

I would do the mirrors, fenders, and front bumper. If you like the results, move on to "horizontal" surfaces like the roof, hood, and trunk, as it will provide some protection against bird shit and other things from stagnating on those surfaces.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:39 AM   #20
TheRussski
Private First Class
35
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
It's amazing how long these last. I think two years is impressive.

The only trouble areas I have are the lower sections of the car and the back of the trunk lid and bumper where all the high traffic of dust and dirt is constantly creating havoc.
Do you still apply wax every few month even with ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #21
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1666
Rep
6,282
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Do you still apply wax every few month even with ceramic coating?
You can, but a big selling point of ceramic coatings is that you don't have to do do waxing and sealants anymore.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #22
SFCM3
Captain
United_States
309
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
I'm thinking of picking up a small vile of CQuartz and applying it to some heavy traffic spots myself (mainly rear bumper - get's filthy SOO fast). Not quite ready to drop $1.5k for a multi-stage correction and full car coating.

Thinking this would be my DIY process:

1. Soap wash
2. Iron X
3. Clay
4. CQuartz coating (maybe 2 coats)
5. Reload on top

Any suggestions or recommendations? Think it would be worth it just to 'try out' ceramic coating?

Also - there are like 3 or 4 CQuartz coatings. Any recommendations on an 'easier to apply' coating?

Thanks
From my understanding, this is kinda pointless. Correct me if im wrong, but the ceramic will only lock in whatever look the paint had before application, not make it look better. This is why everybody does paint correction before application.
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST