BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

10-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
BlackDelta
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

AVIN vs Carsara vs Mr12Volt

Shopping around for an upgrade to my CIC system. It seems like these are the top three choices for the E90 platform.

Functionally, the Carsara and Mr12Volt (M12V) are the same, each simply providing an interface to allow for AA/CarPlay connections (but not running a full Android OS). The M12V system seems to have a distinct advantage in the audio department due to utilizing the MOST interface.

AVIN is in a different league, running a full Android OS and AA/CP is provided via an app/dongle combo. Also requires replacement of the CIC display unit, but you gain a touchscreen which is nice.

AVIN is the unit I am most interested in due to the full Android OS (can use Torque and Youtube) and display upgrade (resolution + touchscreen), but I have read some people say the M button on the steering will no longer function which is a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
sparayno1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3 2009

Very happy with AVIN, M button still works. It just kicks back to OEM screen when you press the M button, so it's a minor inconvenience to switch back to the android screen again (hold menu for 2-3 sec).

Appreciate 3
      10-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
BlackDelta
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Thanks for the video.

You mentioned that CarPlay doesn't work for you. Does the AVIN come with a separate USB dongle to activate that feature, or is it built into the headunit?

Also, can you control the Android OS with the iDrive knob? Steering wheel controls work?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Mr12Volt wins when it comes to sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I've had two different Android head units, a very old android 4.4.2 version which lasted me 4 years, and recently got an XTRONS SD625 Android 10 unit. Here's some info:

1. It's true that audio quality with the Android head unit is not the best since it has to go thru Aux, but sound has improved tremendously since the 4.4.2 version.

2. Some ppl use a USB DAC like Fiio E10K to improve the sound. I didn't bother, stock sound is good enough for me.

3. Android Auto wireless can be enabled with Headunit Reloaded app available on Google Play Store. No dongle required.

4. There's nothing special about the AVIN unit, it's the same China unit as all other sellers. You do supposedly get better support from AVIN as compared to an AliExpress seller.

5. Make sure to get an authentic SD625 (Snapdragon 625) unit with 4GB RAM 64GB ROM. There's a lot of fakes out there. Reason for SD625 is that it has the best community support out there right now. We're talking about tech knowledge, customizations, mods, etc.

6. There is a newer model just released running Android 11 and SD662 but it's still relatively new and the software is a bit buggy.

7. I found this link to be invaluable if you encounter bugs with your Android head unit:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699764
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDelta View Post
AVIN is the unit I am most interested in due to the full Android OS (can use Torque and Youtube) and display upgrade (resolution + touchscreen), but I have read some people say the M button on the steering will no longer function which is a deal breaker.
No issues with M button other than the bug above. So far I only hear of this bug with Android 10 version. My older 4.4.2 version did not have this issue. I hope they fixed it in the Android 11 version. Again, it's just a minor inconvenience.

Having a full android OS device offers so much more flexibility. I run Torque app, YouTube, Race Chrono etc. A lot easier to customize/skin also if you're into that sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Shopping around for an upgrade to my CIC system. It seems like these are the top three choices for the E90 platform.

Functionally, the Carsara and Mr12Volt (M12V) are the same, each simply providing an interface to allow for AA/CarPlay connections (but not running a full Android OS). The M12V system seems to have a distinct advantage in the audio department due to utilizing the MOST interface.

AVIN is in a different league, running a full Android OS and AA/CP is provided via an app/dongle combo. Also requires replacement of the CIC display unit, but you gain a touchscreen which is nice.

I have the latest AVIN and have zero complaints and have lost zero functionality. Car is an '08 so it's the CCC version Android.

I understand the science behind those whom have reported loss of audio quality. I have noticed no difference, only suggestion I can is make sure you are using an aftermarket AUX adapter though, the one that comes with the unit didn't work well for me....I have to wonder if that is the issue some have encountered when levying claims about the inferior audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:30 PM   #8
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
I understand the science behind those whom have reported loss of audio quality. I have noticed no difference, only suggestion I can is make sure you are using an aftermarket AUX adapter though, the one that comes with the unit didn't work well for me....I have to wonder if that is the issue some have encountered when levying claims about the inferior audio quality.
What is an aftermarket AUX adapter and how does it connect to the AVIN android unit?
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #9
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
What is an aftermarket AUX adapter and how does it connect to the AVIN android unit?
You have it on yours. I probably didn't describe it correctly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 11:53 PM   #10
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Ah ok. This is just a 3.5mm aux cable. Maybe an aftermarket one will be higher quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:46 AM   #11
sparayno1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3 2009

Quote:
Thanks for the video.

You mentioned that CarPlay doesn't work for you. Does the AVIN come with a separate USB dongle to activate that feature, or is it built into the headunit?

Also, can you control the Android OS with the iDrive knob? Steering wheel controls work?
Yea, steering controls still work as well as the I-drive knob. That video is a bit old now. I have actually bought a universal eBay CarPlay adapter and it works great. I had issues before on a previous car running Android 8.1, but on Android 10, CarPlay works great, even the steering controls work too. Overall very happy with AVIN, the customer support is helpful as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #12
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

My only gripe is the mr12volt does not have a touchscreen option. I have carplay touchscreen on my other two cars so using carplay with the knob just sounds like a bad way to use it for me
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
m3boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ESS625, Bronco

Was going to scrap my avin but they just dropped an update for the wireless car play that bypasses the aux and uses Bluetooth connection officially. So I won't be doing that.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #14
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
I have the latest AVIN and have zero complaints and have lost zero functionality. Car is an '08 so it's the CCC version Android.

There are definitely varying levels of audio quality, if you have good ears and are discerning you can tell.

We compared HQ streaming audio from Carsara over quadlock Aux with the EQ worked out pretty well to a straight CD on the same EQ settings and you could certainly notice pieces of the range that had dropped out along the way.

Is Aux fine for most daily drivers? Probably. Are systems like the MR 12 Volt a great option for audiophiles? Sure.

Personally I don't want a touch screen in this car. The screen is far away and touching things when the iDrive knob falls nicely into your hand just doesn't do it for me. Even in my X5 I exclusively use the knob for everything except keyboard entry for nav destinations (which are easy enough to do on your phone or via voice).

For folks who want full screen video or apps then yes I can see the appeal of the full Android solution, but to me most of those interfaces are super chintzy, not terribly OEM looking and not optimized for in car use. But some people like custom bootloaders on their Android phones and some people like iPhones, so I think the platform has a pretty good range of options based on your priorties.
      10-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #15
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
There are definitely varying levels of audio quality, if you have good ears and are discerning you can tell.

We compared HQ streaming audio from Carsara over quadlock Aux with the EQ worked out pretty well to a straight CD on the same EQ settings and you could certainly notice pieces of the range that had dropped out along the way.

Is Aux fine for most daily drivers? Probably. Are systems like the MR 12 Volt a great option for audiophiles? Sure.

Personally I don't want a touch screen in this car. The screen is far away and touching things when the iDrive knob falls nicely into your hand just doesn't do it for me. Even in my X5 I exclusively use the knob for everything except keyboard entry for nav destinations (which are easy enough to do on your phone or via voice).

For folks who want full screen video or apps then yes I can see the appeal of the full Android solution, but to me most of those interfaces are super chintzy, not terribly OEM looking and not optimized for in car use. But some people like custom bootloaders on their Android phones and some people like iPhones, so I think the platform has a pretty good range of options based on your priorties.
Good Analysis and spot on.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #16
Jerezblack.m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
Was going to scrap my avin but they just dropped an update for the wireless car play that bypasses the aux and uses Bluetooth connection officially. So I won't be doing that.
I wonder if andream has the same update
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:15 AM   #17
Roughx021
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3

Which is better between the Andream and Avin unit? Also what backup cameras are you using?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #18
mmnj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:

Are you running the AVIN unit that has android 11? When you press the M button does it go back to the OEM screen?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:45 PM   #19
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmnj View Post
Are you running the AVIN unit that has android 11? When you press the M button does it go back to the OEM screen?
Yes it's a common bug. If you have PDC, pressing the PDC button and then pressing the M button keeps you on the Android side.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:45 AM   #20
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

100% agree with this, I tried one of the touchscreen based units and it was a disaster, the screen location and indentation in the dashboard put it unrealistically far back for safe touchscreen use and at least on the system that I used, Android Auto which was the main thing I wanted was ultra buggy. Because the interface is designed for touchscreen use, navigation using the knob was also a painful affair.

The boxes like Mr 12 Volt or Carsara are the perfect solution IMO: they update the car with wireless Carplay / AA etc keep the reliable stock components and are intuitively easy to use with the stock control system which is IMO very easy and safe to use while driving. Oh, and no flip flopping between Android and stock side on the 12 Volt one.
Appreciate 0