BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

05-16-2022, 08:23 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

0% battery power, can't start, etc.

So my battery is about 3 years old, with winter ending, I haven't started my M3 for about 2 months and yesterday could not get in via comfort access. Had to unlock manually. There is almost no power except enough to beep for manual locking, tried to hook up a battery tender and get a trickle charge on it for about 10 hours and it still read 0% on the charger with no increase in electrical power output. I've in the past on original OEM battery deployed for 5 months and battery still had plenty of power to start the car. Now I did notice that few months back after few weeks it sat, the clock and date needed reset which in the past is an indication of the battery going bad, but I've never encountered this issue where it won't charge up. Only internal power signal is the hazard button and headlight selector switch are flickering really fast but hazard lights outside are not flashing. Also I inserted the key into its slot and it's locked in there. Could the battery just be completely dead or it just died during storage to the point it won't even charge? I've not tried to jump it yet and will today.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Did you confirm the battery ground cable is properly attached and not damaged?
      05-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Well looked in the battery compartment and everything is as should be. My m3 sat in my garage for about two months, ran fine day I parked it and covered it up. I did take a voltage reading at the battery and was 4.5v. I've read a dead battery in good condition should read around 11v from the battery tender manual. I tried boost charge with it and it resulted in a little power that when I tried to jump it, lot so flashing dash lights, etc. a connecting sound, I think was the starter, but nothing turned over. Gonna give it all day on the charger and see what happens. Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Quote:
Well looked in the battery compartment and everything is as should be. My m3 sat in my garage for about two months, ran fine day I parked it and covered it up. I did take a voltage reading at the battery and was 4.5v. I've read a dead battery in good condition should read around 11v from the battery tender manual. I tried boost charge with it and it resulted in a little power that when I tried to jump it, lot so flashing dash lights, etc. a connecting sound, I think was the starter, but nothing turned over. Gonna give it all day on the charger and see what happens. Thanks,
Check the engine ground strap as well. It's known for corroding badly.
      05-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check the engine ground strap as well. It's known for corroding badly.

Ok, I'll take a look. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:34 AM   #6
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Strap looks fine, my engine bay has no corrosion as it's always been garaged, etc. It took the battery tender over 24 hours to get it to 30%. Got it started today and now it's showing an EDC failure, never had an issue with it. My rep I talked to mentioned there may be some modules that kick off and most likely one of the cells of the battery took a dump. I'm going to get a new battery and see if its a code I can clear.
Appreciate 1
jmw_m31.50
      10-06-2023, 06:56 PM   #7
jmw_m3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Strap looks fine, my engine bay has no corrosion as it's always been garaged, etc. It took the battery tender over 24 hours to get it to 30%. Got it started today and now it's showing an EDC failure, never had an issue with it. My rep I talked to mentioned there may be some modules that kick off and most likely one of the cells of the battery took a dump. I'm going to get a new battery and see if its a code I can clear.
Hey man what ended up being the issue? I had an EDC malfunction message and then a dead car with only a flashing hazard button. The power came back after hooking up a tender and the battery shows 80% SoC. I’m pretty sure it’s the EDC module, but curious what your issue was.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 07:02 PM   #8
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw_m3 View Post
Hey man what ended up being the issue? I had an EDC malfunction message and then a dead car with only a flashing hazard button. The power came back after hooking up a tender and the battery shows 80% SoC. I’m pretty sure it’s the EDC module, but curious what your issue was.
I had contacted my BMW tech (not dealership but a DINAN dealer I've used for years) and he suggested getting a new battery. I had to go through NAPA to get it and as long as it meets the minimum specs of the original battery, it'll work. It took a few starts and driving to reset some modules. The window needed to be opened and closed to full stops to reclibrate itself. Now all good.

And since I drive it about once every few weeks and in my area, winter is bit brutal, I store it and keep it on a tender charger. So far so good.
Appreciate 1
jmw_m31.50