BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Help Installing Engine Belts

I have undertaken to replace the pulleys, tensioners, and belts on my S65 and everything has gone smoothly up to the point of installing the new belts.

For quite some time yesterday I tried to install the alternator drive belt but could not manage to get it mounted on the tensioner pulley. Even after compressing the tensioner all the way, the belt would not slip on as it just did not seem to have enough slack.

I confirmed all of the part numbers and proper installation (i.e., tensioner arm, pulley, and belt), and confirmed that the belt and pulley are the same size as the old ones. But I just can't get that belt on the pulley.

Can anyone suggest any tricks or methods for doing this? Do you start mounting the belt on the underside of the pulley and work up & around? Or do you start on the top and work downwards? Should it be such a tight fit with the tensioner fully compressed? When removing the original belt I do not recall it being so difficult to take off the compressed tensioner.

I am at an impasse!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Check your belt routing (there's a different routing pattern for different model years - someone can chime in), check your part numbers, and make sure you yank that tensioner. When the tensioner is pulled as far as it should be, the belt goes on like a nice slipper. You don't need to take the tensioner off unless you want more work or are already replacing it.

I had the same problem but realized I wasn't pulling the tensioner hard enough. I remember there was something (a line or a bolt) that was blocking the travel of my wrench. So I had to use a breaker bar and socket with more clearance and pull the tensioner about 5 degrees more than I was before. I was scared I'd break something, but the tensioner rolled over slightly more and my belt went over the alternator easily.

Edit: if you see the pic below, there's a metal line to the left of the tensioner. You need clearance around that line to pull the tensioner as far as you can. Like the poster below said: the alternators the easiest last mounting point.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Double check the obvious first, that you have it routed correctly and the belt is on the inner (nearest to engine) track of the crank pulley. Then place the belt over the tensioner pulley in advance of pushing the pulley down with your wrench or ratchet and instead try to use either the alternator pulley or the water pump pulley as the final or last pulley you place the belt over to set it in place.

E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Thank you RedScytheM3 and Theodore!

I just got it on in a few seconds just now. After reading your posts I double checked the routing, and it was fine. Then I tried again with my breaker bar, short extension, and 14mm socket. Still no go so I checked for obstructions, as RedScytheM3 suggested, and noticed that the extension was hitting the oil line to the oil filter, preventing full compression of the tensioner.

After switching to a box wrench and going at it from the driver’s side fender, it compressed all the way and easily got the belt over the alternator pulley.

Thank you both very much! I feel foolish for not noticing the obstruction earlier (having spent a few hours trying to get the belt on).
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post

I just got it on in a few seconds just now. After reading your posts I double checked the routing, and it was fine. Then I tried again with my breaker bar, short extension, and 14mm socket. Still no go so I checked for obstructions, as RedScytheM3 suggested, and noticed that the extension was hitting the oil line to the oil filter, preventing full compression of the tensioner.

After switching to a box wrench and going at it from the driver's side fender, it compressed all the way and easily got the belt over the alternator pulley.

Thank you both very much! I feel foolish for not noticing the obstruction earlier (having spent a few hours trying to get the belt on).
Perfect! That's what the forum is for! Don't feel foolish the same thing happens to a lot of us. Glad I could help
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 03:35 AM   #6
Angr2387
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

I just order a set of acl bearings. Do these come with one for the top and bottoms or are they are all interchangeable? thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 08:41 PM   #7
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angr2387 View Post
I just order a set of acl bearings. Do these come with one for the top and bottoms or are they are all interchangeable? thanks
search is your friend
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=acl
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:28 PM   #8
dsm2173
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 e92

I'm stuck, I've confirmed nothing is obstructing my wrench, it just simply won't go far enough to get the belt even close to going over the alternator, any tricks in missing
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #9
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm2173 View Post
I'm stuck, I've confirmed nothing is obstructing my wrench, it just simply won't go far enough to get the belt even close to going over the alternator, any tricks in missing
You might have a short belt?
Incorrect routing?
Your wrench is unknowingly contacting something?

I used to struggle with getting the belts back on until I made this wrench.

Game changer.
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      07-23-2023, 12:06 AM   #10
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The ac belt has been a giant pain in the ass. I used the biggest breaker bar I had to force the tensioner done and it took 2 people to get the belt started around the last pulley. I then had to use a pry bar and slightly crank the engine to get the belt seated. Took hours to get it seated fully. Not long after the bolt that holds the pulley on the tensioner sheared off(probably from me forcing the tensioner down so hard.
Any ideas? (Car is a 2010. Uses the double sided belt that runs under the PS pulley)
Currently using a single sided oreilys belt until I can get a new double sided and hopefully not break the new tensioner pulley and ruin another belt
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 06:53 PM   #11
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
The ac belt has been a giant pain in the ass. I used the biggest breaker bar I had to force the tensioner done and it took 2 people to get the belt started around the last pulley. I then had to use a pry bar and slightly crank the engine to get the belt seated. Took hours to get it seated fully. Not long after the bolt that holds the pulley on the tensioner sheared off(probably from me forcing the tensioner down so hard.
Any ideas? (Car is a 2010. Uses the double sided belt that runs under the PS pulley)
Currently using a single sided oreilys belt until I can get a new double sided and hopefully not break the new tensioner pulley and ruin another belt
From my understanding you’ll need to get a whole new tensioner-pulley combo, or try to source the bolt and get the old one out somehow. I don’t think you can use a single sided belt because it drives other components with the other side of the belt-hence it being double sided from the factory
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 08:28 PM   #12
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
The ac belt has been a giant pain in the ass. I used the biggest breaker bar I had to force the tensioner done and it took 2 people to get the belt started around the last pulley. I then had to use a pry bar and slightly crank the engine to get the belt seated. Took hours to get it seated fully.
I usually leave the tensioner pulley portion of the belt off and slip it on there.
When the belt is around the ridged pulleys, it gives slightly more room to compress the tensioner and slip the belt on. Trying to slip it over the crank pulley (or ac comp), usually won't work because there isn't enough slack.

But yea it's a tight fit.

Same with the alt/wp belt. You want to leave the tensioner pulley part of the belt off and slip it over there because it's a smooth pulley, vs the ribbed alt pulley which you'll have a harder time trying to slip the belt over.

Hard to explain but easier to show you in person if I could. I've done so many it's second nature to me.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-08-2024, 12:12 PM   #13
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: JZB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post

After switching to a box wrench and going at it from the driver’s side fender, it compressed all the way and easily got the belt over the alternator pulley.

Hey guys,

I am having a weird issue. The problem is the Drive belt tensioner Pulley I ordered from FCP Euro came with a Torx bolt instead of the Hex bolt. It’s the BMW original part I am not able to use an offset wrench and not able to pull the tensioner all the way down to slide the belt in. I am using a T50 Torx bit on my breakerbar but the bit is long and hits the oil extension lines. .
Anyone run into this issue and any tips because there is no way I can get the belt on without pulling the tensioner all the way down…I really don’t want to deal with removing the oil lines just because of this. Appreciate any tips from the folks here…
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 07:40 PM   #14
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M'EM View Post
Hey guys,

I am having a weird issue. The problem is the Drive belt tensioner Pulley I ordered from FCP Euro came with a Torx bolt instead of the Hex bolt. It’s the BMW original part I am not able to use an offset wrench and not able to pull the tensioner all the way down to slide the belt in. I am using a T50 Torx bit on my breakerbar but the bit is long and hits the oil extension lines. .
Anyone run into this issue and any tips because there is no way I can get the belt on without pulling the tensioner all the way down…I really don’t want to deal with removing the oil lines just because of this. Appreciate any tips from the folks here…
Figure it out? I’m looking to replace that pulley with their torx bolt pulley.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:44 AM   #15
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well FCP Euro did confirm that part was updated. They recommended this tool:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-xc90-cta-8760

But I rented the Serpentine belt kit from Autozone and ordered some low profile Torx bits and Sockets from
Amazon. Going to give it a try tomorrow..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 12:00 PM   #16
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well FCP Euro did confirm that part was updated. They recommended this tool:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-xc90-cta-8760

But I rented the Serpentine belt kit from Autozone and ordered some low profile Torx bits and Sockets from
Amazon. Going to give it a try tomorrow..
Well that’s annoying. Let us know how it works out.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 07:28 AM   #17
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ordered this from Amazon

https://a.co/d/g9OZmqj

It worked like a charm. The bits are super low profile and fit in the offset wrench. I was able to clear the oil lines and pull the tensioner all the way down and slip the belt over the tensioner pulley. Job done! I dint even have to use the Kit I rented from Autozone.

One thing I would recommend is to put the belt on the tensioner pulley the last as it’s a smooth surface and the belt slides right on.
Appreciate 2
Theodore668.50
nick37531020.00
      02-18-2024, 09:57 AM   #18
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
What I would recommend is to put down your purse first...

j/k...It is a PIA. The bolt head makes it harder but I have to put my body weight on it.

I always make sure the belt is seated on the ribbed pulleys and the belt is running over top of the ratchet. I turn the ratchet and slip the belt over the tensioner puller.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:17 AM   #19
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got mine on, but at one point while trying to get the belt on (last part of the belt going over the tensioner) I snapped the bolt causing the whole pulley to just fall off. Really wish bmw made it more simple, I can take off the belt on my Tacoma with one hand.
Alternator died on the m3 last month and I haven’t even bothered touching it because I don’t want to deal with the belts right now
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:20 PM   #20
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I ordered this from Amazon

https://a.co/d/g9OZmqj

It worked like a charm. The bits are super low profile and fit in the offset wrench. I was able to clear the oil lines and pull the tensioner all the way down and slip the belt over the tensioner pulley. Job done! I dint even have to use the Kit I rented from Autozone.

One thing I would recommend is to put the belt on the tensioner pulley the last as it’s a smooth surface and the belt slides right on.
Would you mind measuring the height of the T-30 bit from that set? I’d like to see if it will work for the oil filter housing removal (as opposed to cutting one down as most people seem to do). Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 01:30 PM   #21
M'EM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Would you mind measuring the height of the T-30 bit from that set? I’d like to see if it will work for the oil filter housing removal (as opposed to cutting one down as most people seem to do). Thanks.
It’s 0.75 inches.
Appreciate 1
nick37531020.00
      02-24-2024, 02:15 PM   #22
nick3753
Major
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]