BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

07-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
Jasom
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Advice for E9X M3 buyer in Melbourne

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. Firstly, thanks to anyone who has contributed here for the helpful info and regular boredom cure.

So I'm looking at finally buying an M3 and I'm factoring in rod bearing replacement and the seemingly inevitably death of the throttle actuators. I'm just sussing out where people in Melbourne had these jobs done and how much you paid/were quoted.

I've searched a bit but there is not as much Melbourne info here because we get taxed so much on these "luxury cars" so not as many M enthusiasts exist down under. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
kosz888
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6sp Manual

I'm not in Melbourne though I can tell you that I would expect to pay approx $3000 for the rod bearing job which includes all labour, new rod bearings and rod bolts. Talk to your local work shop regarding which rod bearings to go for, I went for the VAC coated.

Throttle actuators: I bought mine online from FCP euro which was about AUD600 delivered per actuator. I installed it myself in about 2.5 hours, a workshop would be much faster. The BMW dealership quoted $2700 per actuator plus labour.

Someone from Melbourne should be able to give you advice regarding workshops and what they paid.

Last edited by kosz888; 07-11-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
Sixsp33d
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 6MT, M235 sold

I'm not from Melbourne either but Southern BM seem to be one of the best. A good place to start as they are very experienced. http://southernbm.com.au/
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #4
ACTM333
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3 SC Man VF550

Sbm. Morrabin. $3300 set price.
Throttle actuator. I wouldn't waste my time on genuine.
Order them through M Power Motor sports. Lifetime warranty as well.

Having said that. If you look at an 11+ build date. With excellent service records I wouldn't be concerned. If you stick to the cold start protocol you won't need to worry about the rod bearings. Unless your going down the supercharged road but again. If fluid changes are frequent, you will be ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 04:39 AM   #5
E90M3_Guy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 6MT ZCP LCI 2011

I am in Melbourne and when the time comes to do my rod bearings and engine mounts, I plan to go to Southern BM in Moorabbin. I've had my M3 for only 6 months, but shortly after I bought it I went to have a snoop at Southern BM for future reference. I was happy enough with what I saw.

So that's 3 people all recommending the same workshop.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #6
Qikish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 MY11 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTM333 View Post

Having said that. If you look at an 11+ build date. With excellent service records I wouldn't be concerned. If you stick to the cold start protocol you won't need to worry about the rod bearings. Unless your going down the supercharged road but again. If fluid changes are frequent, you will be ok.
This! I couldn't agree more, I specifically sort out a 2011 model with a documented service book that had fluid changes twice as often as needed. Nothing is a guarantee in life but it looks like the Rod Bearing issue affects approximately 1% of cars.
I spoke to a very respected workshop in Sydney about this with my car and he firmly believed unless I am supercharging or planning heaps of track days it would be a waste of time and money.
As good as many mechanics are, I hate the idea of cracking open such a precision piece of machinery unnecessarily.

But having said that I totally understand why people do it.
      07-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #7
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Got my bearings done and DCT serviced at SouthernBM. Been happy with the service there.

I get the likelihood of a bearing failure is low, but felt worth the piece of mind with 100k on the clock.

Had the car a year and 6000km and has been great so far. Just installed wireless CarPlay today!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Jasom7.00
Joe S150.50
      07-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #8
Jasom
Australia
Rep

Ok, sounds like Southern BM get a fair few customers lol. Do they have a preference of what bearings/bolts they use?

I have already emailed them about this btw, just haven't heard back yet. I figure I'd ask here anyway while there's a bee in my bonnet lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
ACTM333
Private
Rep

SBM will ask your preference. But they told me BE bearings with arp bolts if I preferred, but generally use the BMW tork bolts if NA.

I'm from Canberra and would travel to SBM so goes to show there reputation not just in Melbourne..

Can I just say that, there has been proven maintenance that prevents the need for the rod bearings to be replaced. Just remember. It's 3300 dollars to do this. SBM recommend fluid changes every 5k. Well before the BMW service intervals. If this is done along with 'old school Ford xc gs500 warm up protocols', (letting it sit to warm up for a good 5 10mins) the chances of having rod bearing failure is virtually non existent. I say this with confidence being advised directly from SBM on this exact subject. This also applies to supercharged e92s although I personally would be a bit on edge about not having them done. Again saying that they have an e92 SC'd done at new with 60k on it and no rod bearing replacement done, it's also a 2009.

Now obviously it's the choice of the owner, preventative maintenance is what it is. But the way I see it. If it is a genuine mint example, well cared for, full history and extra oil changes, standard, my question is why spend that amount of money on rb? Just my 2c though.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
Hamburgerandchips
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

New member jumping in here to see about M ownership in Melbourne- i'd start a new thread but the system insists I post a reply! Currently UK based with a late 2011 E90 M3 daily driver that i'm considering moving to Melbourne with me. Is it worth the hassle bringing the car with me? Its tidy and well sorted with a full service history but assuming the value in Aus will be less due to being a grey import. Will post up a new thread when the system allows
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
ACTM333
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgerandchips View Post
New member jumping in here to see about M ownership in Melbourne- i'd start a new thread but the system insists I post a reply! Currently UK based with a late 2011 E90 M3 daily driver that i'm considering moving to Melbourne with me. Is it worth the hassle bringing the car with me? Its tidy and well sorted with a full service history but assuming the value in Aus will be less due to being a grey import. Will post up a new thread when the system allows
Sell it and buy locally.. Simple. Not worth the hassle unless it's a rare individual or something
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #12
Hamburgerandchips
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTM333 View Post
Sell it and buy locally.. Simple. Not worth the hassle unless it's a rare individual or something
Thanks for the super quick response! Originally thought i'd be in a better financial position by bringing the car but looks as if E9X M prices arent too ridiculous in Aus. Also seems like coupes are more sort after whereas the sedan is a rarity here and commands a higher price
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
Jasom
Australia
Rep

Yeah I'd second that re: importing the car. You'll have a hard time moving the car on here as an import... unless it's an individual ZCP, 6MT sedan or something rare.

On the bearings front, Worx Automotive got back to me and recommend the updated OEM bearings / bolts as they have still experienced failures with cars that have changed to BE ones and are of the opinion they are worse than oem...

I suppose replacing with OEM and ensuring correct warm up procedure/regular oil changes wouldn't be a bad way to go as you can't guarantee the previous owner(s) did this.

They did say you have the 2yr parts warranty with OEM, anyone know what warranty BE / VAC offer?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #14
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasom View Post
as they have still experienced failures with cars that have changed to BE ones and are of the opinion they are worse than oem...
Ask them to prove that BEs have had wear leading to failure and/or are worse than OEM. I'd call that nonsense else there would be examples all over the forum here. I wouldn't take my car to them and find someone else instead. I also got a quote from a shop that insisted on OEM and I went elsewhere.

Also warranty is useless for bearings as you won't know until you get them out, so a grand for the labour just to find out. And they won't be worn in 2yrs unless you're doing excessive KMs / tracking. Again I haven't heard of anyone taking their non OEM bearings out with excessive wear and replacing them.

Last edited by Fezza; 07-12-2019 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #15
ACTM333
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
Ask them to prove that BEs have had wear leading to failure and/or are worse than OEM. I'd call that nonsense else there would be examples all over the forum here. I wouldn't take my car to them and find someone else instead. I also got a quote from a shop that insisted on OEM and I went elsewhere.

Also warranty is useless for bearings as you won't know until you get them out, so a grand for the labour just to find out. And they won't be worn in 2yrs unless you're doing excessive KMs / tracking. Again I haven't heard of anyone taking their non OEM bearings out with excessive wear and replacing them.
Exactly.. What an absolute crock of uneducated Bullshit. Tell them to comment in this forum and provided the so called BE or any aftermaket bearing failure. The has been ZERO ever reported worldwide... And even if so, it would be from poor installation from inexperienced providers and not the bearings itself. Show us these worn out bearings...
These bearings were specifically designed to allow more tolerance for oiling the rods so to speak correctly.
Give SBM a call and speak to them. Bloody ridiculous
Sounds like you have been
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #16
ACTM333
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasom View Post
Yeah I'd second that re: importing the car. You'll have a hard time moving the car on here as an import... unless it's an individual ZCP, 6MT sedan or something rare.

On the bearings front, Worx Automotive got back to me and recommend the updated OEM bearings / bolts as they have still experienced failures with cars that have changed to BE ones and are of the opinion they are worse than oem...

I suppose replacing with OEM and ensuring correct warm up procedure/regular oil changes wouldn't be a bad way to go as you can't guarantee the previous owner(s) did this

They did say you have the 2yr parts warranty with OEM, anyone know what warranty BE / VAC offer?
Bold..

This would be utterly silly. Replacing a problem with a new problem at a cost of... With oem bearings.. $4k plus.. You just don't do that. Either leave them if as mentioned above in my posts. Or, replace with quality items specifically redesigned to correct the factory flaw.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #17
dean87
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Had mine done at Worx
Went with OEM bearings.
He is very knowledgable when it comes to S65's, and just because something isnt on a forum doesnt mean it isnt true. He has had first hand experience with blown motors on BE's, he wouldnt simply say it for the sake of it.
He allowed me to purchase the bearings, and they were not $4k, so its not like he's gaining anything by suggesting OEM bearings.

Tip: if you're going to do the bearings and throttle's out of peace of mind, do it at the same time and save on labour cost.
      07-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #18
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean87 View Post
He has had first hand experience with blown motors on BE's
For all we know it could have been an engine with BE Bearings where the main bearings went kaput, the lower bearings could've been replaced with anything and the result being the same. But haven't heard of engine blowing with replaced lower rod bearings, and the failure being result of the lower bearings unless installed incorrectly as mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #19
ACTM333
Private
Rep

Show us the proof.. I don't believe it in the slightest until it's proven.
OEM bearings fail that has been PROVEN with poor maintenance..
I don't care where he's from if he's apparently had multiple BE bearing failures. Compared to no one else. Then clearly there's an issue in there installation department.
Again. Prove me wrong. Otherwise. I wouldn't use them at all. Go to the best in the business. SBM. Why sacrifice that.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
ACTM333
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezza View Post
For all we know it could have been an engine with BE Bearings where the main bearings went kaput, the lower bearings could've been replaced with anything and the result being the same. But haven't heard of engine blowing with replaced lower rod bearings, and the failure being result of the lower bearings unless installed incorrectly as mentioned above.
Again. Exactly
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #21
dean87
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

100%
Not disagreeing with you boys here.
I don't know the details, and the failures he mentioned weren't as a result of his install.
I just dont think it's fair to call bullshit on a workshop or situation you/we know nothing about.
      07-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #22
ACTM333
Private
Rep

Fair call. I guess they key is to really educate yourself before you take the plunge.
At the very least, you will be wiser for it.
Appreciate 1
Jasom7.00