BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

EXXEL Distributions

06-14-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Visiting Austin: Where's a good area to stay? Best BBQ/Food?

I'm coming to Austin in July with the family (3 kids and wife).
Planning on going to the Schlitterbahn water park one day. Any recomendations there? Should I get a cabana just to get a spot?

I'm hoping to use points with Starwood or Marriott and they have hotels all over the place but I have no idea which area I should be looking at to stay at?

Also have to go to Waco for the wife for at least half a day.
Any other recs for things to do with kids?
Thanks for any info.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
Todd0131
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yukon, stumpjumper, m3

Get there early We stay at a Marriott in new braunfels. It's super nice and right on the river and 35. It's right on the highway but still nice and quiet. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...5-54ba596febe2

Schliterbahn is ok. Last year it was way over crowded and pretty gross. We like to hit some local swimming holes, wimberley is close and nice. Krause springs, blue hole, Jacobs well. Those are a few. The ones that are run by the state you will need reservations. Just google them and you can reserve online.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      06-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Hit up 'La BBQ' or 'Franklin's' for some true Texas style brisket.
      06-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Todd0131
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yukon, stumpjumper, m3

Yeah the Austin folks can prob tell you better. I just visit, lol
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

BBQ, I would say hit up Franklin's, but the line starts around 6am, and you'll be waiting for a few hours....in line....until they open for serving. Not awesome when you have kids. A lot of people will tell you to visit The Salt Link in Dripping Springs, which is a little south of Austin, but trust me....not that awesome. Better off trying Black's BBQ on Guadalupe or better yet, visit Cooper's on Congress and 4th. Don't skimp on dessert, they make an excellent pecan cobbler....blackberry cobbler is pretty on point, too. http://coopersbbqaustin.com/

How old are the kids? It would help us give you a better recommendations.
Appreciate 2
aus891.50
      06-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
BBQ, I would say hit up Franklin's, but the line starts around 6am, and you'll be waiting for a few hours....in line....until they open for serving. Not awesome when you have kids. A lot of people will tell you to visit The Salt Link in Dripping Springs, which is a little south of Austin, but trust me....not that awesome. Better off trying Black's BBQ on Guadalupe or better yet, visit Cooper's on Congress and 4th. Don't skimp on dessert, they make an excellent pecan cobbler....blackberry cobbler is pretty on point, too. http://coopersbbqaustin.com/

How old are the kids? It would help us give you a better recommendations.
Thanks man. NO WAY we're waiting in line at 6AM!! Or for hours.
My kids are 14.5, 13, 11.5.

Is there any area you'd recommend staying in?

Thanks to everyone who's posted!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks man. NO WAY we're waiting in line at 6AM!! Or for hours.
My kids are 14.5, 13, 11.5.

Is there any area you'd recommend staying in?

Thanks to everyone who's posted!
The JW Marriott on Congress is a great hotel, and around a lot of things to do. It isn't so bad being downtown. I'd either be there or the Domain. We Airbnb nowadays, as it really puts you in the thick of things.

Visit the South Congress Cafe for breakfast while you're here. Make sure you get the carrot cake French Toast....you won't be sorry.

For things to do....there's canoeing, paddle boarding, paddle boating on Ladybird Lake downtown. I'd recommend that early in the morning or late in the day to miss the heat. Skip the zoo here....it sucks *lol*.

Cool (temp wise) things to do because it's going to be HOT.

Dunno if you guys have K1speed there (indoor cart racing) but it'll be good during the heat of the day. www.k1speed.com Get the GroupOn to save quite a bit.

Barton Springs is a nice visit: http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...n-springs-pool

Innerspace caverns: https://innerspacecavern.com/

I'll put up more as I think about it.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 06-15-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
Patrón544.50
      06-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Franklin's is extremely popular and the line will be ridiculous but worth it. I always go to la bbq or Stileswitch, they are my favorite.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      06-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
Franklin's is extremely popular and the line will be ridiculous but worth it. I always go to la bbq or Stileswitch, they are my favorite.
Yeah I couldn't recommend La BBQ more. I've had both Franklin's and La BBQ and still think La BBQ is better and a much shorter line.
      06-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
NoynuR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BSM M4 CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Yeah I couldn't recommend La BBQ more. I've had both Franklin's and La BBQ and still think La BBQ is better and a much shorter line.
should get a group together to go to LABBQ i've never been and have always wanted to try
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The JW Marriott on Congress is a great hotel, and around a lot of things to do. It isn't so bad being downtown. I'd either be there or the Domain. We Airbnb nowadays, as it really puts you in the thick of things.

Visit the South Congress Cafe for breakfast while you're here. Make sure you get the carrot cake French Toast....you won't be sorry.

For things to do....there's canoeing, paddle boarding, paddle boating on Ladybird Lake downtown. I'd recommend that early in the morning or late in the day to miss the heat. Skip the zoo here....it sucks *lol*.

Cool (temp wise) things to do because it's going to be HOT.

Dunno if you guys have K1speed there (indoor cart racing) but it'll be good during the heat of the day. www.k1speed.com Get the GroupOn to save quite a bit.

Barton Springs is a nice visit: http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...n-springs-pool

Innerspace caverns: https://innerspacecavern.com/

I'll put up more as I think about it.
GREAT STUFF!! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
How long is that line on a weekday? I feel like I'll be in line at lunch for dinner!! Do you sit inside in AC or is it outdoor seating?
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
GREAT STUFF!! Thanks again.

How long is that line on a weekday? I feel like I'll be in line at lunch for dinner!! Do you sit inside in AC or is it outdoor seating?
Thanks for the info.

There is no "dinner" @ Franklin's *lol*. They're closed on Mondays, and are open @ 11am, Tues-Sun. They sell out for lunch. Every. Single. Day....for the past 3+ years, IIRC. Cheatcode: if you want to skip the line, you can do so by ordering 10lbs of more of meat and placing a pre-order. 10 of my friends and I did this and got 22lbs of meat from there. The ribs were *amazing*, and I am *not* a rib guy.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 06-15-2017 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
Patrón544.50
aus891.50
      06-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no "dinner" @ Franklin's *lol*. They're closed on Mondays, and are open @ 11am, Tues-Sun. They sell out for lunch. Every. Single. Day....for the past 3+ years, IIRC. Cheatcode: if you want to skip the line, you can do so by ordering 10lbs of more of meat and placing a pre-order. 10 of my friends and I did this and got 22lbs of meat from there. The ribs were *amazing*, and I am *not* a rib guy.
10 lbs total of mixed meats?
I'll bring it on the plane for dinner and then eat it the next couple days! It won't last long in my family.
Thanks for the tip!

PS. Who the hell has the time to wait from 6AM to 11AM for lunch??
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
10 lbs total of mixed meats?
I'll bring it on the plane for dinner and then eat it the next couple days! It won't last long in my family.
Thanks for the tip!

PS. Who the hell has the time to wait from 6AM to 11AM for lunch??

Yes, 10 lbs total. To answer your other question....for a bit, there were professional line sitters that people would hire to stand in line for them. Franklin had to shut that down.
https://austin.eater.com/2014/4/23/6...barbecues-line

This'll give you an idea about the line: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/u...sket.html?_r=0
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      06-17-2017, 02:44 AM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Crazy vid.

Looks like you only need 5 lbs now for pre-order!
That's easy with my family. I'll get a place with a fridge and we'll be good.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 04:03 AM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Leaving Sat. Any recs for places to eat around the airport?
We're arriving around lunch time and I know the family will be hungry.
Thanks again everyone!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #17
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Airport, nothing out there, seriously. There's a Salt Lick in there that should tide you over until you get out an about.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Went to Salt Lick and it was 1 hr wait at 8:45PM. Got some to go and ate it in the room. We liked it a LOT compared to the usual places in Socal.
Went to Odd Duck last night and Salty Sow- both were great. Salty Sow's happy hour menus is more to our liking.

La BBQ and all the other trailer places are hard to do when it's this hot and humid.
Schlitterbaun planned for tomorrow and ordering Franklin for Wednesday- can't wait!
I want to try to get into Black's or Coopers before we leave!

Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #19
biasrutus
driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Went to Salt Lick and it was 1 hr wait at 8:45PM. Got some to go and ate it in the room. We liked it a LOT compared to the usual places in Socal.
Went to Odd Duck last night and Salty Sow- both were great. Salty Sow's happy hour menus is more to our liking.

La BBQ and all the other trailer places are hard to do when it's this hot and humid.
Schlitterbaun planned for tomorrow and ordering Franklin for Wednesday- can't wait!
I want to try to get into Black's or Coopers before we leave!

Thanks again guys.
Coopers is cool because it is downtown. Their brisket is meh (better than Rudy's). Their pork chop, whole chickens, and beef ribs are great!

I would go to Black's on Guadalupe vs Terry Blacks on Barton Springs (unless you end up in lockhart also). They are both good, but not the same. Black's brisket is great while Terry's make the best Turkey out of all these places in my opinion.

If you really want more BBQ after Franklins, try and make a trip to Lockhart. With the toll ways it is a quick drive. Hit these three: https://www.google.com/search?q=bbq+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I would not leave here without figuring out how to make LaBBQ work though.
Appreciate 1
aus891.50
      07-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #20
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biasrutus View Post
I would not leave here without figuring out how to make LaBBQ work though.
This. Best brisket in Austin IMO and my dad is a pit-master up in Dallas.
      07-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #21
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Great info guys. We had a great trip but it was pretty damn hot!!
You guys definitely like your trucks out there. I only saw a couple /M cars of any type and a handful of German cars. In Cali, German cars are like Camry/Accords, or in Texas, and F150 or RAM truck.
I was surprised to see a few Tesla's out there too.
Home prices aren't as cheap as I thought they would be and I believe property tax is around 6% out there? At least there's no income tax!

Schlitterbaun was a bit of a let down. The West side was pretty beat up and old and the newer East side is nice but had CRAZY lines and it wasn't even a busy day according to the employees there.

Thanks again for all the info guys. BBQ will never be the same for us now. We'll be back to try La Barbecue, Blacks.
Appreciate 0