BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

06-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
How do you guys have the balls to go 9 seconds in the 1/4 mile on a bike that doesn't look too stable at 40? Organ donors for sure...
The laws of physics mandates that the faster a motorcycle goes the more stable if becomes, poor engineering causing handlebar shake and a host of other things decrease this gain.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregxi View Post
It started about 5 years ago in the states, the OEM's brought it over from Europe only one headlight on in lowbeam unless you flash the passing lamp then both light up.
passing lamp? As I said, there are a host of speculative reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
The laws of physics mandates that the faster a motorcycle goes the more stable if becomes, poor engineering causing handlebar shake and a host of other things decrease this gain.
Correcto. With that said, no amount of engineering will be able to account for wind and the elements, the pavement etc. These are all determinants for the instability of the bike.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
BMW drivers have the stigma of being pricks... is there a type of motorcycle rider that is viewed the same way?

Why do some idiots ride with a helmet on, but a wife-beater and gym shorts?

Do you lane split at red lights? I remember when this accident happened, and often think about it when I see bikes stopped in traffic.
      07-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #26
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
BMW drivers have the stigma of being pricks... is there a type of motorcycle rider that is viewed the same way?

Why do some idiots ride with a helmet on, but a wife-beater and gym shorts?

Do you lane split at red lights? I remember when this accident happened, and often think about it when I see bikes stopped in traffic.
Yes actually. The Suzuki GSX-R is very commonly ridden by squids and posers.

Those who ride with helmets simply are looking at only one side of the equation. I guess some even wear helmets because of the helmet law?

And no I don't lane split.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #27
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
do you use your bike as a mean of transportation or just take it for some spirited drive and then return home?
i ask this because of the silly suit!! where are you supposed to go with all that gear? you cant go out for a drink or dinner or something.
or you war jeans and put yourself in more danger than you actually are..

i love motorcycles, but knowing me, i would be dead in a month on one.. so i avoid them..
      07-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #28
S2Krazzee
Private
Rep
Drives: 335gone/s2k/S4/GS350

How long does it take to learn to ride? Whats the best way to learn? What is the best first bike to ride? Compare to a stick car how much harder or easier is it?
Do people loan bikes too or just buy cash up? How much does insurance usally cost?
What else is there to be known before learning to ride and getting a bike?
All my boys ride but im more of a driving person. So when they ride i take out my brothers 996tt and tag along. Sucks in traffic and signals to get ditched back.
How dangerous is riding compare to driving? Most of my friends that ride tells me that cars are more dangerous?>? I dont understand that... So much questions but iroically today i ent to go look at R6. Love how it looks. Im 6.2 and 175 what would be good forme?
Thinks different from car vs bike.
Maintance cost?
Full tank mileage/cost?
any help would be thankfuyl
!!
      07-01-2011, 04:54 AM   #29
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
So what do you do when bugs gets on your front... Glass of your helmet.

Have ever had to swallow a bug (I wanna ask that to the Harley riders)
      07-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #30
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

what is a squid?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #31
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

why did the first guy fall?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #32
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2Krazzee View Post
How long does it take to learn to ride? Whats the best way to learn? What is the best first bike to ride? Compare to a stick car how much harder or easier is it?
Do people loan bikes too or just buy cash up? How much does insurance usally cost?
All my boys ride but im more of a driving person. So when they ride i take out my brothers 996tt and tag along. Sucks in traffic and signals to get ditched back.
How dangerous is riding compare to driving? Most of my friends that ride tells me that cars are more dangerous?>? I dont understand that... So much questions but iroically today i ent to go look at R6. Love how it looks. Im 6.2 and 175 what would be good forme?
Maintance cost?
Full tank mileage/cost?
!!

I don't have a street bike only a dirt bike and I can tell you your friends are wrong. Motorcyles aren't that dangerous. What makes them dangerous is riding when there are idiots in cars around you. In a collision with a car, the car will always win. It would a be completely different story if everyone was on a bike.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #33
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

I figure I'll chime in with some of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
do you use your bike as a mean of transportation or just take it for some spirited drive and then return home?
i ask this because of the silly suit!! where are you supposed to go with all that gear? you cant go out for a drink or dinner or something.

i love motorcycles, but knowing me, i would be dead in a month on one.. so i avoid them..

There's 2 classes of riders. The ones who use it to commute, and the ones who only take it out only on really nice days/weekends/days off, etc for a small jaunt or tour.
I'm the first, I use it as a commuter/method of transportation.

For the suit question, generally speaking people who wear FULL suits are only going to the track. If they're not, they're the ones using it for a method of transportation and they'll just take it off when they get to the destination and stow it.
There's tons of gear out there that looks completely appropriate to wear out in public but still provides some good protection. Kevlar jeans (one of my favorites). Riding pants that don't look ridiculous, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #34
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2Krazzee View Post
Maintance cost?
Full tank mileage/cost?
!!
How long does it take to learn to ride?
This is rider by rider basis. Sorta like learning how to drive a stick. I picked up the simple basics in a day, but I know people where it takes days or weeks

Whats the best way to learn?
MSF classes. Completely free (no bike or gear required) in many states. Check it out in your state. If you're against the class atmosphere, get on a lightweight naked bike and someone who knows how to ride and a big parking lot.

What is the best first bike to ride?
2 answers. for the first time ever getting a bike, get any small naked bike. You won't do as much damage dropping it. For your first bike, I'd recommend any of the 250 bikes (ninja 250 is darn good and a classic and cheap)

Compare to a stick car how much harder or easier is it?
I think a bike is much easier to learn. Once you get over the initial 'fear' of being on a bike and being exposed

Again this is one that varies. Usually it's loans for new bikes and cash for used ones. Insurance also varies, depends on the bike, your driving history, etc etc

How dangerous is riding compare to driving?
This is a tricky question. You're much more exposed and able to take serious damage. But you also have a LOT more maneuverability and infinitely more nimble on the road. HOWEVER If you're the type that gets distracted easily or freaks out easily....DO NOT GET ON A DAMN BIKE . Riding a bike is awesome, but you need to be focused the entire time.

R6.
This is too much for you for a first bike. buy a used 250, you won't lose a dime when you resell it

Maintance cost?
Cheap. You'll go through tires real quick on a mileage basis, but there's only 2 of them. Generally speaking it's oil, tires and spark plugs. (unless you go european)

Full tank mileage/cost?
Again a largely varying item. It's going to be a LOT cheaper and easier on the wallet than a car though. Promise you that Worst gas mileage I've seen on a bike is 25-30.

Last edited by Freakazoid; 07-01-2011 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #35
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
So what do you do when bugs gets on your front... Glass of your helmet.

Have ever had to swallow a bug (I wanna ask that to the Harley riders)
You wipe it off haha. I've had some BIG stuff hit me. It gets nasty and you may need to hit up a gas station or lift the visor....but I've never been even remotely blinded.
and...
I always wear a full face so never gotten a bug
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post
what is a squid?
to make it as car related as possible....the ricer of bikes..but worse. They're trying to look 'hard' to everyone that could possibly see them

When you think of jackass motorcycle riders you're thinking of squids. Squids don't wear gear, they jet in and out of traffic, they do stunts in the middle of traffic, etc etc
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
I don't have a street bike only a dirt bike and I can tell you your friends are wrong. Motorcyles aren't that dangerous. What makes them dangerous is riding when there are idiots in cars around you. In a collision with a car, the car will always win. It would a be completely different story if everyone was on a bike.
No. You are wrong. Riding a motorcycle will probably be one of the most dangerous things you can be doing on a regular basis. Just think about it. You're on a road with cars with bare minimum protection. You don't even have a street bike so you have no merit to title an opinion on what's dangerous on a street bike or what isn't.
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #38
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

i love that you guys call them squids up there too!! awesome!

The majority of bikes down here have squared off back tires. Bunch a stupid extended swingarm **** running around here.
      07-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #39
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
i love that you guys call them squids up there too!! awesome!

The majority of bikes down here have squared off back tires. Bunch a stupid extended swingarm **** running around here.
haha ya i think squids is a pretty universal thing
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #40
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

How long does it take to learn to ride?
There is no "set" time on learning to ride. I've been riding for 6 years and I learn something new every time I get on the bike.
Whats the best way to learn?
Take the MSF (Motorcycle safety foundation) course.
What is the best first bike to ride?
No such thing as a "best" but the lower the CC bike the more forgivable the bike will be to you when you mess up.
Compare to a stick car how much harder or easier is it?
Two totally different concepts. In a car you shift with your hand, on a bike you shift with your foot.
Do people loan bikes too or just buy cash up?
Preference. It's like asking the same question about a car.
How much does insurance usally cost?
It depends. When I had my first 1 litre bike (2009 CBR1000RR) they wanted $300 a month with $100,000/$300,000. I never bought it. After two years with the CBR I got bored and sold it and bought the S1000RR. On the S1K I only pay $53 a month with the same coverage.
You have to have good situational awareness. If you're a careless individual, I wouldn't recommend getting a bike.
How dangerous is riding compare to driving?
It is the most dangerous thing you can be doing on a regular basis.
Most of my friends that ride tells me that cars are more dangerous?>?
Cars are not more dangerous. That's just plain ignorant to be saying that.
I dont understand that... So much questions but iroically today i ent to go look at R6. Love how it looks. Im 6.2 and 175 what would be good forme?
Maintance cost?
Depends on the bike
Full tank mileage/cost?
Depends on how you ride

!![/QUOTE]
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #41
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post

My every ride gear consists of Full face helmet, full gauntlet gloves, armored jacket, and race shin high race boots. I wear this gear regardless of how hard I ride or whether i ride to work or not. Most my rides are spirited rides, but I do take it to work here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingi2ime View Post

why did the first guy fall?
The track was wet/damp. He was setting his entry point for the upcoming turn and once he got on the brakes the front folded on him causing him to lowside. Wet and damp track = less traction and it is even more important to set entry speed and brake earlier. When you are at the limit, this stuff happens. Very unfortunate the other guy got taken out too

And thanks to Freakazoid and the others for chiming in.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #42
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Is the Yamaha R6 a good bike for beginners?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #43
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
Is the Yamaha R6 a good bike for beginners?
anyone who wants you to live will say no to any 600cc sport bike as a starter bike

Buy a 5 year old 250, ride it for a month or two, get USED to being on a bike, then get a 600cc bike...you won't lose a dime and will be much safer and better at riding
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #44
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

How does it work to get a liscence, do you have to bring your own to the DMV for the test when you don't have a liscence.. Or do they provide one? For those of you liscenced is the DMV tests easy? Or is it better just to take a course?
Appreciate 0