BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

06-22-2022, 12:01 AM   #1
e92m3cali
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

S752A EPS/Individual Audio System Subwoofers

The subwoofers on my 2011 E92 M3 equipped with EPS (S752A) recently blew. After countless hours of searching through forums, it seems many (outdated) threads suggest replacing them with Bavsound's Ghost V2 subwoofers (8ohms). I contacted their SA and found they no longer sell this product for the EPS systems due to "disproportionate amount of blown subs...even after matching the impedance."

So a couple of questions:
1) Any long term owners with the OEM EPS amp + Bavsound Ghost V2 subwoofers (8ohms) who can confirm if this is really a common failure? These still seem like the best, easy option.
2) Are there any other plug-and-play subs to replace the OEM 8ohm subs, compatible with the OEM EPS amp? Looking for options where I don't need to do any wire splicing, soldering etc.
3) Where can I buy new OEM EPS subwoofers (8ohms)? I'm having trouble finding them.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #2
blowbackpolicy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I have the BSW 8ohm subs and have had them for probably four years. They are still going strong. I wouldn't consider them an upgrade though. I actually preferred the sound from the stock subs better. I would have kept the stock ones but sold them when I got the BSW subs.
ARC-8 Wheels - Stoptech Trophy BBK - Solid Subframe Bushings - Purple Diff Bushings - Topspeed X-pipe - Megan Catback - AFE Carbon Intake - RE Pullies - BPM Tune - GAS Monoballs - ECS Front Sway - GTS Wing - Autosolutions SSK - Vibratechnics Motor Mounts - Revshift Tranny Mounts - VAC Bearings - Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers - Dinan Camber Plates - Ultra Front Strut Bar - BSW Ghost Subs - Matek Diffuser
Appreciate 2
Ali-E90378.50
Merlin_83473.50
      06-23-2022, 12:03 AM   #3
e92m3cali
Registered
Rep

thats good to know! so many people talked so highly of the BSW.

I guess I'll continue my search for the stock subs.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

It really is too bad no one is making 8 ohm subwoofers. The EPS system subs are 7 ohm but I guess 8 is close enough.

There's people on some other threads using 4 ohm subwoofers with EPS. There are a lot of aftermarket 4 ohm stock replacement subs. I guess you can turn the subwoofer volume down and it should be ok?
      07-01-2022, 02:18 AM   #5
e92m3cali
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
It really is too bad no one is making 8 ohm subwoofers. The EPS system subs are 7 ohm but I guess 8 is close enough.

There's people on some other threads using 4 ohm subwoofers with EPS. There are a lot of aftermarket 4 ohm stock replacement subs. I guess you can turn the subwoofer volume down and it should be ok?
It really is a shame... In any case, I found a way to fix my original subs by soldering on some new wires where it broke. Speakers work fine now.

I thought those using the 4ohms subs were also using alternative aftermarket amps (like JBL)?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 05:19 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Eton B150 underseat subwoofer is a direct plug & play replacement for Individual Sound sub. I've had mine for 5 years / 50k kms no issues. They provide much better low end which is missing from the Individual system.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #7
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Eton B150 underseat subwoofer is a direct plug & play replacement for Individual Sound sub. I've had mine for 5 years / 50k kms no issues. They provide much better low end which is missing from the Individual system.
Aren't these Eton B150 subwoofers 4ohm? The EPS subwoofers are 8...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
These are some of the people using the 4 ohm ones with EPS. I don't know anything about car audio but I guess it can be done?
      07-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #9
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No clue. One of my subs died (water damage) and the shop familiar with BMW sound systems recommended these as PnP replacements. They've been in my car 5+ years now and are great.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #10
nah dude
Pingu
Rep
Drives: White V8 Sedan Car

Has anyone tried the new Bimmer Tech 7 OHM underseat subwoofer replacement yet?

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...lifier-for-bmw

I think they're the only ones out there that are actually matched to the factory impedance spec. They're a little too expensive for me to take one for the team but curious if anyone is running them.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I think they're the only ones out there that are actually matched to the factory impedance spec. They're a little too expensive for me to take one for the team but curious if anyone is running them.
Wow! these look pretty new. Nice find! Looks like a good option for individual audio sub replacement.

The pricing is the same as the BAVsound subwoofers when they sold them.
      02-20-2023, 02:43 PM   #12
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

So I performed the Earthquake SWS i82WS (2ohm) upgrade and had issues with the s752a amp...It did not like the impedance. Since I already had the Technic harness with in conjunction with a 12" sub in the trunk, I threw a small RE audio 500.1 mono class D, and I wired the 2ohm subs in parallel, creating a 4ohm load, x-over at 150hz. I ran fresh wiring to the new subs.

So to conclude, I should have done this years ago! The improved sound stage is amazing. I can actually turn down the trunk sub and lower its x-over point. I recommend powering the underseat subs with a decent amp, not to much power, maybe 150-200( depending on sub used).

Here's my disclaimer, the S752A amp CAN NOT handle the 2ohm impedance----If replacing because of damage or failure, go to the 4 ohm version.

Here's a list of the hardware used.

EarthQuake SWS i82WS 8" slim subwoofer (2ohm)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X41HZ75...roduct_details

AudioControl LCi2 2 channel line out Converter
https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-...2-8997e41410bb

Technic PNP harness
https://technicpnp.com/product/logic...sub-t-harness/

RE Audio SA 500.1 -- This amp has been discontinued, But the DD SA500.1 appears to be its re-incarnation
http://reaudio.com/products/amplifiers_sa.php
DD500.1 https://ddaudio.com/rl-sa-la-series/...ks/rl-sa500-1/

As far as wiring the amp to the battery...well your reading this, I assume you can handle it on your own, so many choices and various way to accomplish this.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbaja5t View Post
So I performed the Earthquake SWS i82WS (2ohm) upgrade and had issues with the s752a amp...It did not like the impedance. Since I already had the Technic harness with in conjunction with a 12" sub in the trunk, I threw a small RE audio 500.1 mono class D, and I wired the 2ohm subs in parallel, creating a 4ohm load, x-over at 150hz. I ran fresh wiring to the new subs.

So to conclude, I should have done this years ago! The improved sound stage is amazing. I can actually turn down the trunk sub and lower its x-over point. I recommend powering the underseat subs with a decent amp, not to much power, maybe 150-200( depending on sub used).

Here's my disclaimer, the S752A amp CAN NOT handle the 2ohm impedance----If replacing because of damage or failure, go to the 4 ohm version.

Here's a list of the hardware used.

EarthQuake SWS i82WS 8" slim subwoofer (2ohm)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X41HZ75...roduct_details

AudioControl LCi2 2 channel line out Converter
https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl-...2-8997e41410bb

Technic PNP harness
https://technicpnp.com/product/logic...sub-t-harness/

RE Audio SA 500.1 -- This amp has been discontinued, But the DD SA500.1 appears to be its re-incarnation
http://reaudio.com/products/amplifiers_sa.php
DD500.1 https://ddaudio.com/rl-sa-la-series/...ks/rl-sa500-1/

As far as wiring the amp to the battery...well your reading this, I assume you can handle it on your own, so many choices and various way to accomplish this.
Thanks for these details - going to make it very easy to upgrade now.

In your opinion, is the trunk sub really even needed at that point? I'm generally happy with a solid mid-bass punch.
      04-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #14
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrit View Post
Thanks for these details - going to make it very easy to upgrade now.

In your opinion, is the trunk sub really even needed at that point? I'm generally happy with a solid mid-bass punch.
It will add tons of bottom end punch... but not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 06:01 PM   #15
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Quote:

I'm willing to take one for the team on either the Bimmertech or the Eton's. I have been looking at the easiest ways to upgrade underseat woofers, while leaving everything else stock and not adding a trunk sub. (individual/EPS obviously)

Sounds like both are plug and play, but the Bimmertech goes a step further by offering their own amp for more oomph. curious how that works with MOST.

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 06:27 PM   #16
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

On the e70/x5 side of the forum, members with individual audio are using B&W woofers out of another model bmw, can’t remember which. The reviews are very positive. There is a long thread.
      08-08-2023, 03:01 PM   #17
Mtrizzyy
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2012 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92m3cali View Post
The subwoofers on my 2011 E92 M3 equipped with EPS (S752A) recently blew. After countless hours of searching through forums, it seems many (outdated) threads suggest replacing them with Bavsound's Ghost V2 subwoofers (8ohms). I contacted their SA and found they no longer sell this product for the EPS systems due to "disproportionate amount of blown subs...even after matching the impedance."

So a couple of questions:
1) Any long term owners with the OEM EPS amp + Bavsound Ghost V2 subwoofers (8ohms) who can confirm if this is really a common failure? These still seem like the best, easy option.
2) Are there any other plug-and-play subs to replace the OEM 8ohm subs, compatible with the OEM EPS amp? Looking for options where I don't need to do any wire splicing, soldering etc.
3) Where can I buy new OEM EPS subwoofers (8ohms)? I'm having trouble finding them.

Thanks in advance.
Here’s my story…. I have a 2012 m3 e92 with individual audio as well I went through 2 oem sets of subwoofers before trying bav sound subwoofers, 2 weeks in they both Stopped working, one stopped working then the other days apart, so they warrantied and got my new set, another 2 weeks later they blew up again and bavsound didn’t want to warranty it again but rather give me a full refund, at this point I was ready to give up. Instead I rolled the dice thinking it was a amp issue so I purchased one on ecs tunning during 2021 April for 1700 usd and again ordered another set of bav sound subwoofers, (I think I hold the record here for most times replacing subwoofers on the e92). Nonetheless I had zero issues after the amp replacement and 3rd set of bav sound woofers I did myself….fast forward to august 2023 my subwoofer on the driver side has failed yet again with no help from bavsound not even a refund or warranty replacement since they stopped making them, it’s almost as if these amps have a shelf life of some sort
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 06:43 PM   #18
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Maybe the bavsound subs are sensitive. My Eton subs have seen 3 individual amps and are still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #19
Mtrizzyy
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2012 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
I'm willing to take one for the team on either the Bimmertech or the Eton's. I have been looking at the easiest ways to upgrade underseat woofers, while leaving everything else stock and not adding a trunk sub. (individual/EPS obviously)

Sounds like both are plug and play, but the Bimmertech goes a step further by offering their own amp for more oomph. curious how that works with MOST.

After finally getting a refund from ecs tunning for the bavsound subwoofers I decided to take one for the team! Today I installed the bimmertech 7ohm for the individual audio. sound is good, similar to bavsound I’d say, hopefully this won’t blow up too!
Appreciate 1
Thumbie92.50
      08-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #20
Thumbie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrizzyy View Post
After finally getting a refund from ecs tunning for the bavsound subwoofers I decided to take one for the team! Today I installed the bimmertech 7ohm for the individual audio. sound is good, similar to bavsound I’d say, hopefully this won’t blow up too!
you are a hero. So similar to bavsound, eh? How did you like bavsound (and these) compared to OEM? Major difference? Slight difference?

2011 Jerez E90 M3 6-speed Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 06:11 PM   #21
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Just putting this here for future reference. Musway also makes plug & play speakers and subwoofers for our cars.

https://www.muswayusa.com/Product/CSB8W
Appreciate 1
Thumbie92.50
      12-14-2023, 12:18 PM   #22
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Just putting this here for future reference. Musway also makes plug & play speakers and subwoofers for our cars.

https://www.muswayusa.com/Product/CSB8W
These are universal subwoofers for all E F and G series cars. It will not work well with EPS systems because it is the wrong ohm.