BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #155
sperkins
New Member
2
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

Schroth QuickFit Pro + OMP HTE-R XL Seat?

Per the Schroth website, it is a huge NO-NO to use these belts with any fixed back seat.

Any idea why? I don't understand the physics behind this, as the mounting points, and the actual routing of the belts appears to be the same as when using the factory seat.

I'm trying to find a cost effective solution to keep my 6'1",225lb fame from flopping around during track days.

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:19 PM   #156
Bartledoo
Just Some F****** Guy
Bartledoo's Avatar
United_States
2512
Rep
2,644
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperkins View Post
Per the Schroth website, it is a huge NO-NO to use these belts with any fixed back seat.

Any idea why? I don't understand the physics behind this, as the mounting points, and the actual routing of the belts appears to be the same as when using the factory seat.

I'm trying to find a cost effective solution to keep my 6'1",225lb fame from flopping around during track days.

-Steve
Well liability could be number one. These are designed/tested/approved (one or combination of) for use with all of the other standard safety equipment. Swapping stock seats for fixed backs immediately changes that, including deletion of some airbags, thereby changing the environment to one which the QFP was not designed/tested/approved for use in.
__________________
E90M 6MT Slicktop Single Humper in need of a diet

Last edited by Bartledoo; 01-26-2022 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
tsk941391.50
      01-25-2022, 05:59 PM   #157
derbo
Derbo Tuning
derbo's Avatar
3196
Rep
2,781
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperkins View Post
Per the Schroth website, it is a huge NO-NO to use these belts with any fixed back seat.

Any idea why? I don't understand the physics behind this, as the mounting points, and the actual routing of the belts appears to be the same as when using the factory seat.

I'm trying to find a cost effective solution to keep my 6'1",225lb fame from flopping around during track days.

-Steve
Actually, there is two seats that Schroth certified for QFP for the intended chassis application.

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/s...-quickfit-pro/

Quote:
Please note: These harnesses are designed to be used in stock seats that have passed a seat back strength test. Quick Fit harnesses are not approved for use with any fixed back or aftermarket seats with the following exceptions: The Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE are approved for use with QuickFIt harnesses in already approved vehicles.
__________________
IG:ruhrohz_m3
Journal:Link
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2022, 07:15 PM   #158
sperkins
New Member
2
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Actually, there is two seats that Schroth certified for QFP for the intended chassis application.

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/s...-quickfit-pro/
Thank you Derbo.
I did see that. Unfortunately, I don't think those seats are much more supportive than what I have. (with my build, I tend to sit on top of the seat vs down into the seat.)

I'm hoping to find something that wont need a half cage/roll bar, or harness bar to fasten the belts to.
Appreciate 1
derbo3195.50
      01-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #159
leftfootbr8king
First Lieutenant
leftfootbr8king's Avatar
391
Rep
372
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Actually, there is two seats that Schroth certified for QFP for the intended chassis application.

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/s...-quickfit-pro/
Thank you Derbo.
I did see that. Unfortunately, I don't think those seats are much more supportive than what I have. (with my build, I tend to sit on top of the seat vs down into the seat.)

I'm hoping to find something that wont need a half cage/roll bar, or harness bar to fasten the belts to.
I don't know what you currently have, but if it's stock, the nogaro is a massive improvement. I'm 6'4 and also felt like I sat on the car before. Zero room between helmet and headliner with seat all the way back and down.

With the Nogaro and a thinner butt pad I now have 5" of headroom with helmet on. There are relief channels on the bottom of the shell to get the seat even lower when considering the slider rails.
Appreciate 1
CHSe92156.50
      01-25-2022, 10:09 PM   #160
sperkins
New Member
2
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
I don't know what you currently have, but if it's stock, the nogaro is a massive improvement. I'm 6'4 and also felt like I sat on the car before. Zero room between helmet and headliner with seat all the way back and down.

With the Nogaro and a thinner butt pad I now have 5" of headroom with helmet on. There are relief channels on the bottom of the shell to get the seat even lower when considering the slider rails.
That’s a good testimonial. I’ll see if anyone has anything local that I can try on.
Thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 09:06 AM   #161
Obioban
Emperor
1367
Rep
2,679
Posts

Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperkins View Post
Per the Schroth website, it is a huge NO-NO to use these belts with any fixed back seat.

Any idea why? I don't understand the physics behind this, as the mounting points, and the actual routing of the belts appears to be the same as when using the factory seat.

I'm trying to find a cost effective solution to keep my 6'1",225lb fame from flopping around during track days.

-Steve
The quickfits put a large downward load on the seat in a crash. Every stock seat they're approved for use with is tested to make sure it can withstand that load.

Aftermarket seats (with the exceptions above) are not designed with that sort of load in mind. Because of that, the quickfits may actually break the seats in a crash. No good.

I'm also 6'4 and a fairly large dude, and love my nogaros. I went from having to recline the seats to fit in the car with a helmet to being able to fit a fist above my helmet.
__________________

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan
Appreciate 3
Bartledoo2512.00
derbo3195.50
      01-26-2022, 12:01 PM   #162
derbo
Derbo Tuning
derbo's Avatar
3196
Rep
2,781
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The quickfits put a large downward load on the seat in a crash. Every stock seat they're approved for use with is tested to make sure it can withstand that load.

Aftermarket seats (with the exceptions above) are not designed with that sort of load in mind. Because of that, the quickfits may actually break the seats in a crash. No good.

I'm also 6'4 and a fairly large dude, and love my nogaros. I went from having to recline the seats to fit in the car with a helmet to being able to fit a fist above my helmet.
Thanks Ian! I hope they test the sportsters. I suspect it would work just not certified at this time. That would be awesome.
__________________
IG:ruhrohz_m3
Journal:Link
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #163
sperkins
New Member
2
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 MT
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The quickfits put a large downward load on the seat in a crash. Every stock seat they're approved for use with is tested to make sure it can withstand that load.

Aftermarket seats (with the exceptions above) are not designed with that sort of load in mind. Because of that, the quickfits may actually break the seats in a crash. No good.

I'm also 6'4 and a fairly large dude, and love my nogaros. I went from having to recline the seats to fit in the car with a helmet to being able to fit a fist above my helmet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 02:57 AM   #164
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
11146
Rep
12,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

does anyone know the thread pitch of the oem seat mount bolts? realoem says M10x32, but the 32 is regarding the length. the first 10mm of the damn oem bolts aren't threaded, so i can't get them into my thread checker.
i need to fit hex head bolts so i can properly tighten them. with my seating position, i can't get a torx bit under the seat.
other than that, its looking good. i eyeballed the seating position and i think its just about perfect for the first try. i do want to invest in a good butt pad though. i wouldn't mind sitting 1/2-3/4" higher.

edit- found some nice M10x1.5 30mm class 10.9 flanged bolts on mcmaster-carr.

i'll advise when i find a butt pad solution.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike

Last edited by roastbeef; 02-01-2022 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:47 PM   #165
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
1243
Rep
2,624
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (0)

I am also interested in a pad that is denser than yoga mat.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11146.00
      02-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #166
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
11146
Rep
12,497
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I am also interested in a pad that is denser than yoga mat.
i found this. expensive, but looks legit.
https://upr.com/i-23436319-upr-racin...standard.html#!
__________________
Instagram; @roastbeefmike
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #167
Kelse92
Major
United_States
1127
Rep
1,363
Posts

Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

That one you linked looks great! But sheesh, I'm not spending that much on padding unless its SFI rated (which I'm not seeing?)
Edit: Nevermind, dug around their site and they say its fire resistant. Ok, it's probably worth it
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11146.00
      02-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #168
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
1243
Rep
2,624
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
That one you linked looks great! But sheesh, I'm not spending that much on padding unless its SFI rated (which I'm not seeing?)
Edit: Nevermind, dug around their site and they say its fire resistant. Ok, it's probably worth it
Price of one tire and it won't cord for the whole season.

I am not sure if need compares to what comes with the Recaro, but I like the opening for the sub bar.

Good find roastbeef
Appreciate 2
Kelse921127.00
roastbeef11146.00
      02-01-2022, 11:09 PM   #169
CHSe92
Private First Class
CHSe92's Avatar
157
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I am also interested in a pad that is denser than yoga mat.
Another possible option

https://winecountrymotorsports.com/p...2aff81dfd773ad
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2022, 08:30 PM   #170
1FastSicilian
-Frank
1FastSicilian's Avatar
139
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: 05 zcp M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Westchester/Rockland, NY

iTrader: (1)

Couldn’t find the true definitive answer but is the BK mounts to oe sliders the lowest solution besides bolting the seats to the floor?

Picking up a set of SPG XL and I had these with bk sliders in my e46 and they were great…. Hopefully the same applies to the e92!
__________________
2005 M3 - SilverGrey/MT - SOLD
2021 X7 4.0i M-Sport (family hauler)
2013 E92 M3 ZCP - AW/FR/BLK/DCT
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition - leveled/34s
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 03:07 AM   #171
DRLane
Colonel
DRLane's Avatar
2925
Rep
2,782
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
Couldn't find the true definitive answer but is the BK mounts to oe sliders the lowest solution besides bolting the seats to the floor?

Picking up a set of SPG XL and I had these with bk sliders in my e46 and they were great…. Hopefully the same applies to the e92!
If you want sliders, yes.
__________________
Not a Doctor, those are just my initials.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #172
1FastSicilian
-Frank
1FastSicilian's Avatar
139
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: 05 zcp M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Westchester/Rockland, NY

iTrader: (1)

Currently purchased 2 OEM power sliders but now thinking about going with a manual slider.

Since it's almost impossible to find OEM manual sliders without spending $500 each new, I found these on the team schirmer site.

Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.teamschirmerparts.com/co...t-brackets-set
__________________
2005 M3 - SilverGrey/MT - SOLD
2021 X7 4.0i M-Sport (family hauler)
2013 E92 M3 ZCP - AW/FR/BLK/DCT
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition - leveled/34s
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #173
///Mobbin
Colonel
///Mobbin's Avatar
1379
Rep
2,603
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
Currently purchased 2 OEM power sliders but now thinking about going with a manual slider.

Since it's almost impossible to find OEM manual sliders without spending $500 each new, I found these on the team schirmer site.

Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.teamschirmerparts.com/co...t-brackets-set
Myself and others have purchased manual sliders from a BMW i3 off of eBay (or from a junkyard) and paired them with the Brey Kraus side plates, perfect fit.

All i3's were manual seats so a bit easier to source.
__________________
2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 | 6.2L | Satin Steel | 10-speed
2011 e92 m3 | 4.0L | Alpine White | DCT
Appreciate 1
CHSe92156.50
      05-09-2022, 03:15 PM   #174
1FastSicilian
-Frank
1FastSicilian's Avatar
139
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: 05 zcp M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Westchester/Rockland, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Myself and others have purchased manual sliders from a BMW i3 off of eBay (or from a junkyard) and paired them with the Brey Kraus side plates, perfect fit.

All i3's were manual seats so a bit easier to source.
Scored a set from my local junkyard for 300$ plus tax… thanks!!
__________________
2005 M3 - SilverGrey/MT - SOLD
2021 X7 4.0i M-Sport (family hauler)
2013 E92 M3 ZCP - AW/FR/BLK/DCT
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Night Edition - leveled/34s
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1378.50
      05-29-2022, 11:33 PM   #175
DoubleYellow
Private
32
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

I tried (and loved) the OMP WRC-R XL seats but saw from a post here that they don't fit e92 M3 with stock door cards. I'm now looking at Sparco Ergo L which appear to fit but my local seat shop doesn't have them. Anyone know where I can try a Sparco Ergo L in MA?

Last edited by DoubleYellow; 05-30-2022 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
slcook541457.00
      05-31-2022, 09:35 AM   #176
Kelse92
Major
United_States
1127
Rep
1,363
Posts

Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Just a heads up for anyone in here that has them and hasn't seen the news. The Recaro Profi SPG XL seats dated 2017-2022 have been recalled.
It sounds like replacements will be available later in the year.
Here's the PDF I've seen shared in a few places the past few days:
Attached Images
 
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
bigjae19761112.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST