BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
shayzorblade
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Touring M-Sport

Loaded 2010 E90 M3 w/56k: $41k or wait for lower mileage?

Hey folks. Been an E90 328i driver for a few years now and have lusted after a M3 sedan for some time; I worked the numbers and after some changes in my work life I think I'm ready to finally join the M brigade

I've been looking for a E90 M3 sedan, 2010/2011 model year ideally <$50k. Seen a few different options come and go but the following caught my eye:

2010 E90 M3 Sedan:
Black
DCT
56k Miles
$41,000

Options:
• Black Novillo Leather
• Anthracite Headliner
• Shadowline Trim
• Comfort Access
• Through Loading
• Heated Seats
• Navigation
• Individual Audio (S752A)

This falls right in line with the NADA estimated retail value which means I would probably have a little wiggle room to negotiate. I have a mechanic who I've used for the past few years ready to go for a pre-purchase inspection, and it looks like I'll be able to trade my 328i in, as well.

The Individual audio, however, from my understand came at a somewhat hefty premium and can be hard to find; adds some value and as a bit of an audiophile it certainly tempts me.

Now, I would love it if anyone has any positive/negative feedback on a vehicle like this. Personally, my main reservation would be to wait for a lower mileage example that costs a little bit more. However, where I live I'm not seeing many examples right now and I'd prefer not to have to hoof it.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance if you decide to help me out

Last edited by shayzorblade; 06-11-2014 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Phrasing
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Id say it depends on how long you want to wait for one. Spring and summer they're tougher to find. I'd say there will be a lot more to choose from come fall plus more will be for sale from the guys taking delivery of the new Ms. I bought mine in October loaded '11 dct for 55k with 24k mi

Last edited by EJT86; 06-11-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

I purchased an '11 with similar options w/ 40k miles for 46k 2 months ago. I was happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
shayzorblade
Rep

EJT86, I hadn't thought of that and you are probably spot-on with such an assessment. Considering there hasn't been an M3 Sedan produced in almost 4 years now I can imagine a few people are still holding onto theirs until the new F80s start to be delivered and production picks up.

fhaze3, that's an excellent price and I would be happy to come across something in that range (especially for an '11). Was your with comp package? I'd assume not, but if so that's quite the bargain you got.

No rush at the current moment but will post my impressions of the vehicle once I test drive on Monday; definitely want to "see it in the flesh" as it were and make sure I make the right decision; as opposed to a hasty one. Have got an excellent rate pre-approved with DCU for the next month; so if the right car pops up I'd certainly hop on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
Galt?
Shrug
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3, AW/FR, ZCP

The upgraded audio should be a big win. The stock stereo is bad. This is most noticeable at highway speeds the mid-range disappears. Sounds like you found a good buy.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
highmodulus
Two more till my intervention
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 White/Black 6mt

Seems like a fair deal- if you like the color and condition, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
shayzorblade
Rep

Took it for a test drive today; never driven a car anywhere NEAR the same league before and I was floored; what an amazing and capable vehicle. Set-up my own "M" mode before we headed out, started it off nice and easy with everything in "comfort" settings. EDC was supple in its most relaxed mode, gearshifts smooth.

Once I got the temps up a bit we took it to some back roads, hit the "M" button and opened her up! Goodness what an engine With the windows down you really get to experience the "drama" of it all as you build revs up to redline. Its a sedan all the way for me, but I admit I completely "get" where all you cabrio-philes are coming from; I don't think I'd ever get sick of hearing that engine.

Going from my 328i to the M3 definitely required a bit of brain "re-calibrating". Below are some further thoughts on this specific car.

The Bad:
• 56,000 Miles, no warrantee
- Worried about future rod-bearing issues
- Potential for other issues to arise
- The above are rather unlikely, but I don't doubt it would keep me up at night
• While driving an "ABS Failure" alert came-up in the dash
- About 100 ft after we started driving
- About 100 yards later, it went away
- Never came back
- Probably just a sensor
• Minor paint scratches
- Seemed to be very shallow
- Dealer said he will be bringing it in for a full detailing, shortly

The Good (okay...the GREAT):
• Individual audio was spectacular
- Brought along some high-fidelity MP3s
- Cranked up the volume
- Holy crap!
• Interior was flawless
• Car seemed to be in impeccable condition otherwise

Current Conclusion:

Its a stunning car in the flesh but now I'm a bit on the fence. I'm not in a rush and I would really prefer to have a lower-mile example pop-up. However, that means higher price and finding one with the right color combo and options is always a bit of a gamble.

Thanks all for your prior advice! Will update.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Carmax has a 2011 for 48 that you can buy their warranty that has saved my buddy with an m6 over 20k and get coverage up to 100k miles [it has 39 so it would still be under warranty].

Price seems high to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
shayzorblade
Rep

Its funny you mentioned the CarMax one; I looked at the same listing and was initially excited due to the fact that it was listed w/CompPack. However, something seemed fishy because it didn't have the CompPack wheels.

I ran a VIN decoder, lo and behold the pack wasn't listed. I called them up seeing if they would drop the price because they had listed it incorrectly. They claimed I was wrong, but I finally got through to a sales manager at their Florida location and got them to admit they were incorrect and promised change the listing accordingly.

They've since altered the listing...but the price stayed the same! Overpriced for sure; would love to see one pop-up on CarMax for the exact reason you stated; also nice that they'll ship the car no-hassle.

Or did you mean the 2010 I was looking at seemed high?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
INNOVATE_1
EL MERO MERO
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR - BMW E46 M3

How long do you intend to keep the M? Why does the mileage deter you? Resale or maintenance?

I would look at rod bearings as more of a maintenance requirement than an issue. Under warranty or not, many seem to conclude that the 70-80k mile mark is a good time to perform the maintenance regardless of symptoms.

The S65 is incredibly stout so you should have peace of mind with that. Plenty of M's well North of the 100k mark.. I guess the real question should be, did you fall in love with that particular M? Was it exactly what you were were looking for?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
shayzorblade
Rep

I'm planning on keeping it for a couple of years max. So, in that case the mileage isn't a big issue (like you said).

Resale is important to me as my work is planning on opening a California office in the next 18-24 months and I don't see myself bringing an M across country with me were I to move (although, it is doable).

Honestly, at the end of the day I did very much enjoy this car...but I think I've been finding excuse after excuse not to buy this particular M3. It doesn't feel like "the one"; didn't sit 100% right with me.

My gut tells me to be patient until the right one pops up.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Id say it depends on how long you want to wait for one. Spring and summer they're tougher to find. I'd say there will be a lot more to choose from come fall plus more will be for sale from the guys taking delivery of the new Ms. I bought mine in October loaded '11 dct for 55k with 24k mi
This is good advice. October is a great time to buy. Especially this year.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
INNOVATE_1
EL MERO MERO
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR - BMW E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayzorblade View Post
I think I've been finding excuse after excuse not to buy this particular M3. It doesn't feel like "the one"; didn't sit 100% right with me.

My gut tells me to be patient until the right one pops up.

There's your answer. The right one will come along soon enough..

Appreciate 0