BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

05-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18' SMB M3CS

2012 E92 M3

I went today to test drive a used 2012 E92 at a Hyundai dealership which I found to be strange. It was AW with Black interior, NAV, ZCP, and Hi-Fi audio with 30k miles. They were asking for 52k. After careful inspection, there were a few nicks on the front bumper from rock chips and a small scuff on the rear bumper which needs paint. The interior was okay, nothing great but not in terrible shape either. My question is......do you think I can get a little lower since obviously it has some dings or is 52k a fair deal. No accidents on the carfax but 2 previous owners as it came from Ohio to Florida.

Also, I am coming from a 535i M Sport which is huge. I didnt feel the car to be as responsive as my 5 series. I know that the M3 lacks torque but I didnt expect it to feel as sluggish as it did. I appreciate the feedback on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

car doesn't feel very fast stock if you are used to driving a turbo charged car. You really need to wind it out to feel it start to go but I doubt you got a chance to do that on a test drive.

GINTANI TWIN TURBO E92/F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

I understand that part. I was more interested in feedback about the price and offer I should make to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

You really need to use the gears in the m3 and rev it high, with my 335 you could just stay in the same gear or only drop one and the tq would help the car accelerate. If you spent some time in the m3, you would see how much fun it is to drive in comparison...the throttle response is way faster, it revs to the moon and can be quick when driven properly.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
southfla330
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by symple84 View Post
I understand that part. I was more interested in feedback about the price and offer I should make to the dealer.
For comparison, I just sold a '12 Alpine White Coupe, DCT, ZCP, 27k miles, with every option besides cold weather and brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for $55k. I am also located in Miami and we have had a strong market for these cars.

I think at $52k there is definitely room to knock the price down a bit and at least cover the dealer fee they will add on. I had been watching the prices to time the sale of mine, and I think that they have listed the car very aggressively, but it also would not hurt to negotiate the car further as I know that particular car has been on their lot for a while.

For reference I came out of a '12 535i M Sport and did not regret the move. The M3 is far far more powerful in every way from that motor and platform. I really enjoyed the M3 and it had always been a dream car for me to purchase. After a brief ownership (6 months) and a brutal commute in traffic everyday, I decided to sell which only took one day from when I listed it. One thing I would encourage is to test drive the car again and DRIVE it. Set up the settings properly, play with M mode and really experience what it's capable of. I remember when I test drove mine, the young salesman ruined my chance to experience the car properly which I regret allowing to happen. If you still don't think it has the feel you are looking for, take a pass. There are many cars available with handling/power characteristics that might be a better fit for what you are looking for. Let us know if you move forward and good luck with negotiation.
'03 330ci - Silver, Sport - SOLD

Last edited by southfla330; 05-24-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfla330 View Post
For comparison, I just sold a '12 Alpine White Coupe, DCT, ZCP, 27k miles, with every option besides cold weather and brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for $55k. I am also located in Miami and we have had a strong market for these cars.

I think at $52k there is definitely room to knock the price down a bit and at least cover the dealer fee they will add on. I had been watching the prices to time the sale of mine, and I think that they have listed the car very aggressively, but it also would not hurt to negotiate the car further as I know that particular car has been on their lot for a while.

For reference I came out of a '12 535i M Sport and did not regret the move. The M3 is far far more powerful in every way from that motor and platform. I really enjoyed the M3 and it had always been a dream car for me to purchase. After a brief ownership (6 months) and a brutal commute in traffic everyday, I decided to sell which only took one day from when I listed it. One thing I would encourage is to test drive the car again and DRIVE it. Set up the settings properly, play with M mode and really experience what it's capable of. I remember when I test drove mine, the young salesman ruined my chance to experience the car properly which I regret allowing to happen. If you still don't think it has the feel you are looking for, take a pass. There are many cars available with handling/power characteristics that might be a better fit for what you are looking for. Let us know if you move forward and good luck with negotiation.
The salesman was nice enough to let me really experience the car so I did mess with the M mode and Power button What did you end up getting instead?

I guess my main concern is that I would have to probably paint the front and rear bumpers to make it as new as possible. And I want to say that the tires need to be replaced. They have had the car on the lot for about a month so I am thinking about maybe going after 52k with taxes and fees included. Still going to give it some thought, but I appreciate your feedback!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
southfla330
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The salesman was nice enough to let me really experience the car so I did mess with the M mode and Power button What did you end up getting instead?

I guess my main concern is that I would have to probably paint the front and rear bumpers to make it as new as possible. And I want to say that the tires need to be replaced. They have had the car on the lot for about a month so I am thinking about maybe going after 52k with taxes and fees included. Still going to give it some thought, but I appreciate your feedback!!!
Absolutely, it sounds like we followed the same path of cars. I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience the car. For now believe it or not I have a rental car. My M3 sold so fast and at the right price that I had not had time to seek out anything else. I sold it 2 weeks ago. I have 2 months locked in for this rental and I'm searching daily for a replacement. I want something more tolerant in traffic and that has a little more utility. Looking at getting into an SUV and for now the lead is a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Much different but more practical for my needs at this time.

For tires you are looking at about $1200-1400 depending on where you source them from. One thing I did was go F: 255/35/19 and R: 275/35/19 over stock size. Your target of $52 OTD sounds like a good plan. Also one last thing, the pictures aren't the best quality of the M3 at that dealer, but in a couple the paint looks like Mineral White. Good luck, you can't go wrong with an M3 and I regret my decision to sell everyday and seeing one in person makes it even worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely, it sounds like we followed the same path of cars. I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience the car. For now believe it or not I have a rental car. My M3 sold so fast and at the right price that I had not had time to seek out anything else. I sold it 2 weeks ago. I have 2 months locked in for this rental and I'm searching daily for a replacement. I want something more tolerant in traffic and that has a little more utility. Looking at getting into an SUV and for now the lead is a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Much different but more practical for my needs at this time.

For tires you are looking at about $1200-1400 depending on where you source them from. One thing I did was go F: 255/35/19 and R: 275/35/19 over stock size. Your target of $52 OTD sounds like a good plan. Also one last thing, the pictures aren't the best quality of the M3 at that dealer, but in a couple the paint looks like Mineral White. Good luck, you can't go wrong with an M3 and I regret my decision to sell everyday and seeing one in person makes it even worse.
Just ran the VIN. It is Mineral White. Let's see what happens
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
southfla330
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just ran the VIN. It is Mineral White. Let's see what happens
It being MW might give you more negotiating leverage. My AW for comparison:

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:

I agree with this. I just sold my '12 E92 in AW/FR last week (similar options, but 6spd) in preparation for the arrival of my M4 in AUG. Sold faster than I could imagine. I had it up for $54 stock/$59 modified Ended up going for a little over $58. I would ignore the couple nicks and chips on a bumper. It's a two year old car and that's general wear and tear if you're actually driving it. $52 out the door (and from a dealer) sounds like a realistic offer.

I would also echo the change in tire sizes if you do go with the E92. Looks much more aggressive with those and spacers. In retrospect, I would go 265/285. I ran 275s square setup on the track. Best of luck!
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by symple84
I went today to test drive a used 2012 E92 at a Hyundai dealership which I found to be strange. It was AW with Black interior, NAV, ZCP, and Hi-Fi audio with 30k miles. They were asking for 52k. After careful inspection, there were a few nicks on the front bumper from rock chips and a small scuff on the rear bumper which needs paint. The interior was okay, nothing great but not in terrible shape either. My question is......do you think I can get a little lower since obviously it has some dings or is 52k a fair deal. No accidents on the carfax but 2 previous owners as it came from Ohio to Florida.

Also, I am coming from a 535i M Sport which is huge. I didnt feel the car to be as responsive as my 5 series. I know that the M3 lacks torque but I didnt expect it to feel as sluggish as it did. I appreciate the feedback on this forum.
Really? I smoked a new 650i from a dig the other day in my stock m3. Guy looked pissed he was outgunned in his $90k Msport.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

If I trade in a leased car and purchase the M3 in this scenario, do I save on the taxes or no? I have heard different responses. The dealer will be buying the car from me at the current buyout.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
I went today to test drive a used 2012 E92 at a Hyundai dealership which I found to be strange.
Per CARFAX:

1) This looks like a Florida car. The selling BMW Dealer took this car back 11/15/2013, maybe had been on a two year lease. Put it on his lot as a CPO car. Good thing.
2) Sat on BMW dealer lot until 3/7/2014 (4 months) until he gave up trying to sell it and sent it to auction where the Hyundai guy bought it.
3) Auction price on the car, maybe 45k. Been sitting on the Hyundai lot for 2 months. Dealer anxious. I'd offer 47k
Actually, appears to be a one owner car if you discount dealer ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Per CARFAX:

1) This looks like a Florida car. The selling BMW Dealer took this car back 11/15/2013, maybe had been on a two year lease. Put it on his lot as a CPO car. Good thing.
2) Sat on BMW dealer lot until 3/7/2014 (4 months) until he gave up trying to sell it and sent it to auction where the Hyundai guy bought it.
3) Auction price on the car, maybe 45k. Been sitting on the Hyundai lot for 2 months. Dealer anxious. I'd offer 47k
Actually, appears to be a one owner car if you discount dealer ownership.
Thanks! I actually did go in and offer 49500 total out the door this afternoon. The sales manager obviously did not bite on the deal, but then again they will sit on the car. Whats weird is that the carfax shows that the car came from Ohio unless I am reading it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

BMWFS is in Ohio, I think. When financing occurs through them, then an Ohio connection is made on CARFAX; but, it's only a paper connection to the car not the actual location of the car. You have to read a little further on the CARFAX to determine the true location.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
BMWFS is in Ohio, I think. When financing occurs through them, then an Ohio connection is made on CARFAX; but, it's only a paper connection to the car not the actual location of the car. You have to read a little further on the CARFAX to determine the true location.
Oh ok, then it was the salesman who didnt know what he was talking about. I left the guy my number and told him to call me when he was ready to match my price.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Schittenengitten
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 991 C2S

Of you're willing to drive, Bob Moore Porsche in Oklahoma City has my old 2012 for $54. It has 12k miles, black wheels, gintani exhaust and clear bra - 6mt. It was a great car we did Euro Delivery on. No negative history at all. FYI
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #18
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schittenengitten View Post
Of you're willing to drive, Bob Moore Porsche in Oklahoma City has my old 2012 for $54. It has 12k miles, black wheels, gintani exhaust and clear bra - 6mt. It was a great car we did Euro Delivery on. No negative history at all. FYI
Thanks for the info. I am looking at staying under 50k though.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If I trade in a leased car and purchase the M3 in this scenario, do I save on the taxes or no? I have heard different responses. The dealer will be buying the car from me at the current buyout.
Still wondering if anyone knows this????? I am in Florida if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #20
southfla330
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Still wondering if anyone knows this????? I am in Florida if it makes a difference.
Now that I think about it, this was the M3 that was at Braman BMW on Biscayne.

With regard to taxes, did you pay your current lease agreement taxes up front or do you pay monthly as part of the payment?

I'd hedge to say that since taxes paid on a lease are for the depreciated amount only, you'd be responsible for the entire amount of the new purchase price x 7% tax. Others can chime in but that's my initial gut feeling on the topic.

I'd also say that even though Mineral White was a premium color with added cost, it's much more difficult to sell. If you really want this car and want to stay below $50, try to work the deal with purchase price plus dealer fee and tag falling under 50 and any taxes due on top to be just over 50. That would be a great deal. I just sold my M with the same options/miles but with new tires and alpine white for $55k
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
symple84
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

With regard to taxes, did you pay your current lease agreement taxes up front or do you pay monthly as part of the payment?

I'd hedge to say that since taxes paid on a lease are for the depreciated amount only, you'd be responsible for the entire amount of the new purchase price x 7% tax. Others can chime in but that's my initial gut feeling on the topic.

I'd also say that even though Mineral White was a premium color with added cost, it's much more difficult to sell. If you really want this car and want to stay below $50, try to work the deal with purchase price plus dealer fee and tag falling under 50 and any taxes due on top to be just over 50. That would be a great deal. I just sold my M with the same options/miles but with new tires and alpine white for $55k
Yeah I tried that route.....they aren't budging on the price but thats okay, I am in no rush to get out of my 535i which I am paying 556/month
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #22
southfla330
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I tried that route.....they aren't budging on the price but thats okay, I am in no rush to get out of my 535i which I am paying 556/month
You can't beat that payment. Wait it out and see if they give you a call. It's been sitting around for a long time and at some point they need to move it out of inventory.

There are so many nice M's available now and that will be coming available shortly to get the deal you want. That cushy 5 series ride is so much nicer on the streets around Miami anyway.
Appreciate 0